Kel-Tec

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking and can't find the answer I am looking for. Just how reliable are Kel-Tec Handguns?? I am not looking to go ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec

Kel-Tec

I have been looking and can't find the answer I am looking for. Just how reliable are Kel-Tec Handguns?? I am not looking to go to the range day after day with one, but if I need to shoot, I want to know I will be fine! I like the size of them as a pocket gun. I wonder though if I am better off with my trusty S&W 642. The price of the Kel-Tec is very, very affordable and that is very, very scary!!! Any thoughts are always appreciated!!!!

Thanks
    Springfield XD40 Serv (My CCW)
    S & W 642 Airweight (My Bug)
    Sig 232 Wife's CCW

"There are over 550,000,000 firearms in worldwide circulation. That is 1 firearm for every 12 people on the planet. The only question is... how do we arm the other 11?" Nicolas Cage, Lord of War

Wayne Donovan

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    They seem to work for most owners. I am eyeing a P3AT for a pocket gun myself. Seems the gen II guns are a bit better for reliability.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thumbs up kel-tec

I have 2 of them,a P3AT(380) and a p11(9mm).I carry each of them at various times depending on dress and where I'm going.The p3at is my go everywhere gun.when I get dressed in the am it goes in my right front pocket without fail.the p11 I carry in a kangaroo style shoulder holster,either that or my taurus pt145.I have had very good luck with both of my teltecs.I believe they have all the bugs worked out of them now.My 380 is a 2nd generation,I haven't had a single problem of any kind with about 300 rounds through it.My p11 is about 7 years old.I bought it in 1999.I had a few problems when I first got it but after the fluff&buff and just plain shooting the heck out of it for 7 years,its very dependable.It goes bang everytime.If I was in the market for another small gun,I wouldn't be afraid to buy another.besides they have a lifetime warranty,so you can't go wrong. sj

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Heres my Review posted earlier last month:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=12522
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    A lot of people love them and swear by them. I swear at them. I had a P11, which I recently sold cheap. just to get rid of it. The trigger pull is long and hard. I had to wear Band-Aids on my index fingers to qualify with it for my CCW permit, so that it wouldn't cause blisters. On top of that, I couldn't count on it to feed properly. Not a gun that I will rely on to save my life.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    ANY(!) weapon that you are gonna bet your life on you have to treat accordingly.

Do a more than complete F&B. Make sure that the weapon is broke in(shot,fired,slide racked,dry fired,etc.) very well. Well lubed(not over lubed) with the right compound,in just the right places. And carried in just the right place,in the right carring system(including belt).

I run into a ton of people that(in a whiney voice) say,"this thing just wont shoot". Talking to them I find out they have just come from the gunshop where they bought the weapon new and said to the clerk,"just give me any of them boxes of bullets".

I have a Kel-Tec P-3AT. I've had it for a year or so. I have put several hundred rds. thru it. Blazer for my training load and Gold Dots for my carry load. It always shoots and carries very well.

If you are sensible and not affraid to do your part......I would reccommend this weapon(G2). If you (anybody)want to buy something and not take any time with it before you carry it........i would reccommend a $2500-$3200,1911.---------

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    +1 RSSZ
    i own a G1 P3at and took the time to break it in and complete a thorough F&B. I do trust my life to this firearm everyday. It rides in my truck in a RJ hedley holster in my console and my pocket when I leave. It gets a cleaning every two weeks, to make sure it stays lubed, but not soaked. I carry federal hydrashocks in it, and feel very comfortable. Everyone says the G2's are more reliable?-maybe, hopefully, I guess I just got lucky on my G1, but for the price point, nothing is better.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    +1 RSSZ and Snowdoctor

I have a 1st gen Blue and 2nd generation Hard Chrome P3AT .380. Both have performed flawless. I like snowdoctor clean mine every 2 or 3 weeks and carry the first generation in a "K&D 2 in1" holster with a spare mag in RJ Hedley mag pouch in weak side pocket. They are very accurate at 7 yards but I rarely shoot over 50 rounds at one setting as they aren't target pistols. I had to use sand paper to smooth the inside ridge on the trigger guard but no biggie.

Dewayne

New Member Array NRAInstructorFLA's Avatar
    My concern is always about shot placement, the key question is: will you hit inside the zone 2 - 3 times in 3 seconds reliably with whatever tool you're using ...
    I'm not going to be shooting at someone more than 3 meters away with my Kel-Tec P32 carrying Corbon JHP. It's lightweight, more manageable felt recoil than the .380 in a small polymer frame, very easily concealable, reliable, and accurate.
    I was teaching a class recently, took off my primary (that day it was my Sig P226R), and asked the class if I was still armed - they said "No" ... so I pulled my trusty Kel-Tec P32 out of my pants that was clipped behind my belt. Needless to say - the people in that class won't look at an opponent or suspect the same again.
    It IS lightweight & easily concealable!
    Mark Wittenberg; Head Instructor
    Defensive Shooting Instructors
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    State of Florida Certified Defensive Tactics Instructor
    Taser Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    State of Florida "D" & "G" Licensed Executive Protection Officer

I agree with Squawker about the P11. It was difficult to shoot well and reliability was poor. I had the recoil springs replaced and then got rid of it. The P32, however, has been totally reliable with a variety of ammo. With pocket holster carry, it can be safely and quickly deployed.

Have a P3AT and a P11, and I swear by them. My P3AT is a SG and shot great right out of the box. I have done the F&B with my P11 just because I wanted to tinker. Also have the Wolff 20lb. recoil springs in it, what a difference on the recoil. Like all things, sometimes you get a wednesday gun, have a friend who has had more trouble with his Glock 19 than his P3AT. If it is keeping you up at night try a Kahr PM9, because if in the back of your mind you have doubts about it's reliability, the weapon is no good to you.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Administrator
    The Kel Tec P3AT needs a break in/shoot in period according to the manufacturer.
    I sure would not trust one right out of the box to save my bacon.

Nor any other firearm honestly with the exception of probably a Korth since they are extensively fire tested before being shipped to the customer.

If I absolutely had to bet my life on any handgun right out of the box & without pre-shooting it...and ONLY after after a visual inspection & a function check - I would pick SIG - H&K - Glock and probably any very high quality revolver.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Surely your S&W is a great CCW piece. That said, I love my SG P3AT and carry it ALL the time. I haven't found a reason to leave it at home (even swimming and canoeing). Mine has been 100% reliable out of the box. It's a great summer gun, BUG, or when you would leave everything else at home or in the vehicle gun. If you decide it's not for you, you'll be able to sell it for close to what you pay for it. Check out KTOG.com for more discussion.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

I have...

the .32, the .380, and the 9mm...
    All seem to function well. The P3AT, especially, is so easy to hide with SOME power. Non of them would be a gun I would enjoy a long day at the range with...but they are ok for light dress and a relatively safe errand...anything else...the Kimber comes along for the ride!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a Keltec P-11 and a P-3AT (I also have an SU-16C). I plan to get the PF-9 when it's released. Keltecs are certainly not works of art. They are reliable, accurate, light and affordable. I use them for off duty carry and can't think of anything I'd rather use. I have other guns for other uses and the KTs are not my overall favorites but they're great for what I use them for.
    Rob

\"Lead, follow or get out of the way.\"

Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links