well, went to the store for ammo, bought a taurus model 85

This is a discussion on well, went to the store for ammo, bought a taurus model 85 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ya, went to the store for some ammo, saw a taurus 85, .38 special +p. I just loved it, the way it felt. and i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: well, went to the store for ammo, bought a taurus model 85

well, went to the store for ammo, bought a taurus model 85

Ya, went to the store for some ammo, saw a taurus 85, .38 special +p. I just loved it, the way it felt. and i need a back up EDC, plus for summer might work better than my FS S&W M&P.

anybody have experices with this, do's don't's good bad? thanks

jerp
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

I've owned a couple of them over the years. Great little guns. Only thing I did was pull the side plate and give them a through cleaning when I bought them. Taurus tends to leave a lot of gunk in their revolvers sometimes.
    God & Guns!

Lets see it.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Yup it doesn't exist without pictures

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Do you always have trouble staying focused on the task at hand?

yes i usually do have problems staying on task at hand, however my mission was still complete i do have the ammo, plus a box of 38SPL +P speer gold dot, 125gr . as for pictures once the background check waiting period is up, i will post pictures of it for you all.

mpd, thanks for the tips i will pay special attention to that once i get it.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    once the background check waiting period is up,
    Bummer - in Oregon we get to do the background check while at the gun store and then take it home with us immediately when it passes. I don't know if it is the same as it used to be but it used to be that Washington had a waiting period (or at least Yakima did), but in Oregon, it is immediate take home. I can understand the waiting period though as it was put in place in Washington (again, I don't know if it is still the same there now) to keep people contemplating suicide or disgruntled employees from doing spur of the moment things.

The 605, 85, and 617 have all had very very good reputations, and have been reliable, good guns. Rarely if ever hear of a problem with them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I've had a model 85 for about 14 years now. Good little gun, no problems with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Bummer - in Oregon we get to do the background check while at the gun store and then take it home with us immediately when it passes. I don't know if it is the same as it used to be but it used to be that Washington had a waiting period (or at least Yakima did), but in Oregon, it is immediate take home. I can understand the waiting period though as it was put in place in Washington (again, I don't know if it is still the same there now) to keep people contemplating suicide or disgruntled employees from doing spur of the moment things.
    Ya, we have a 48 hour waiting period after the background call is made. to make matters worse i will be out of town till next tuesday, so i wont be able to pick it up until wed. till then i will be twiddling my thumbs lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    The 605, 85, and 617 have all had very very good reputations, and have been reliable, good guns. Rarely if ever hear of a problem with them.
    thank you, i believe this is the one my god mother had that i shot before i loved it. and at the store that love was reunited lol

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I've rented one at the range several times. I think the Model 85 may be the best handgun Taurus makes. The one I've rented has been in the rental case at that range for 6 years I know about, gets cleaned a couple times a year, shot a lot, and is still going strong.

I think you are going to be pleased with it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Had mine for 20+ years, no problems, don't think I can shoot +P in it though. I have the 3" barrel, little harder to find holsters for it, most are 2".

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    congrads, clean it, fondile it, oil it, shoot it and then repeat
    jerp likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Ya, went to the store for some ammo, saw a taurus 85, .38 special +p. I just loved it, the way it felt. and i need a back up EDC, plus for summer might work better than my FS S&W M&P.

anybody have experices with this, do's don't's good bad? thanks

jerp
    :) that's why I try to stay out of the firearms department... I swear I am getting worst than my wife and her purses!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

The only Snubbies I own are Taurus Mod 85's

An old blued one with wooden grips and an ultra lite model.

I originally won the Blued 85 from an auction and it was a little more used than what I thought. But it cleaned up well. I shoot it pretty well and have never had an issue with it. I liked it so much that it made me want an ultra lite model. (Sometimes I don't even notice I'm carrying it) It's hammerless, trouble free and a good shooter as well. But you do notice a little more recoil when shooting it.

So far all of my experiences have been positive with my model 85's and they get carried quite often. I'm quite sure your experience with this little snubbie will be positive as well.

PS: I have them loaded with GD 125gr HP's but have read that the 135gr's are a little better. With that said I'm not loosing any sleep over it.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links