Advice On "Cheap" Gun - Page 2

Advice On "Cheap" Gun

This is a discussion on Advice On "Cheap" Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another plug for the P95.This was my first 9mm.It should've been my last 9mm. I love taking this gun out to shoot! its always the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Advice On "Cheap" Gun

Another plug for the P95.This was my first 9mm.It should've been my last 9mm. I love taking this gun out to shoot! its always the same old,same old--accurate as heck and consistancy reliable like no other pistol in my gun case. Like others have said,the price is awesome for this rig.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I own the Sigma 40VE and yes it is a cheapgun but i wouldnt trust it after the first round, A ton of FTE's. Also had a Hi-point .40 bought it new at a gun show when they first came out for a whopping $75.00. I wanted a gun that I could beat up and not care about. Not a good Conceal carry gun real big and heavy. (I think they have made them lighter since I owned one but still pretty big) Gave that gun away to a good friend that still has it. He tells me all the time he shoots it all the time and it has never failed him, But it is strickly fun range gun. Anyways I also have a Taurus TCP738 (380) very small, and was a little embarassed by the size. But planned on carrying it on hot summer days when I'm on the bike and hard to conceal a bigger gun, and when I wear dress slacks. I was amazed at how accurate this little gun is? Sorry Ranting! anyways I paid $200.00 for that gun and when not carrying my XD40 I will be carrying the tiny .380 ( I look at it this way something is better than nothing). Anyways most everyones advice is valid, but he need to be comfortable with the gun. And there are many guns that would fit his price range. He will needs to do his homework and find what suits him best.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    Im with this guy......5906 is a tank of a 9MM
    Yeah, that pistol will last several lifetimes.

sgb
    The 6906 is also a very under rated sidearm.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

What are it's measurements?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

If you can find one, a Star BM can be found for under $250... Granted its from the manufacturer went under and there is little after-market support but they're shooters...

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Ruger P95 is about $305 on bud's gun shop. At that price range that is probably his best option.
    I'm not real familiar with the P95, but I recently dusted off my ol' P85 MkII that I've had for 20 years but shot very little. I've got a new-found appreciation for this gun.

My wife qualified with it for her CCW - She likes the semi-auto platform, but has a big problem racking the slides on any of my other semi's (except 22's). The P85 is by far the easiest. It's also the lightest-recoiling of all my "major caliber" guns, due to the weight, geometry, and grip size. I've finally gotten her interested in a gun other than a .38 snub!

I've been shooting it a good bit myself, lately, and it is SWEET! A little big for carry, but it's a great nightstand gun. Dead-nuts accurate, and 100% reliable. 15+1 is a lot better than 5 or 6, too!

I think the P95 is a tad smaller and lighter, thanks to the polymer frame, but I'm REAL tempted by that $305 to get one myself. Didn't know you could touch one for that price. If he's looking for an HD gun, and not necessarily CCW, it'd be a GREAT choice. CC is definitely an option, but like I said, it's kinda big & heavy.

Regards,
    Jim

I'm assuming he's an inexperienced shooter. Personally, I think a revolver is a better choice for a beginner, particularly if he's not planning on a lot of range time.
    I agree. Looking at revolvers, he can probably find a nice, used revolver in his price range. A new Taurus or Rossi would not be very far out of his range. For an inexperienced shooter who's not going to carry concealed, a full size 38 Special is hard to beat. I keep trying to find an excuse to buy one of these. So far I've been able to avoid the purchase.
    Used Smith & Wesson Model 10 38sp SQUARE BUTT $269.00 SHIPS FREE

If he wants a semi-auto or plans to concealed carry, the Kel-Tec PF9 already mentioned can be a good recommendatioin. I've never had any problem w/ mine, but I spent some time w/ the fluff and buff before ever shooting it. Other possibilities for a semi auto close to his price range are the Kahr CW45, CW40 and CW9.
    Guns - Buy Pistols, Rifles & Shotguns Online at Discount Prices

I would recommend the Kel Tec Pf9. I bought the hard chrome version, and shot it out of the box with 50 rounds of georgia arms reloads. It ran flawlessly, since then I had put 250 more rounds of mixed jhp and fmj ammo without any issues. Also the lifetime warrenty that Kel Tec offers is a great selling point.

I know what everyone says about hi points but I have been carrying a C9 for the last 2 years. I go to the range everyother week and have not had one problem with it. I also have a hi point 40 for 3 years and love it. Put over a 1000 rounds thru it and carry it OC when hunting.
    NRA Member

Nobody has mentioned Taurus. They have several guns under $300. They may not be the best reliability, but I'm sure they are better than Hi Point and at least they have a lifetime warranty.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    An employee of mine (head line cook) approached me today about what kind of gun he could get for three hundred dollars or less. I was rather at a loss, because even my wife's CC gun, Ruger LC9, ran us around $379. He said he'd been looking into Hi-Points and Kel-Tecs, but I have zero knowledge when it comes to these manufacturers. I have a friend who pocket carries a Kel-Tec .380, and he says it's reliable, but I wouldn't be happy with the caliber.
    Kel Tec PF9. Run a couple hundred rounds through it, return to the mothership in Cocoa, FL if necessary.

Anything else I can tell him?
    Used .38 snub, if he can find one in that range. CZ-82 if he doesn't mind slightly non-standard ammo (9mm Makarov).

I recently bought one of the S&W Model 10s from Bud's ($269 +free shipping), and an old police or military Bulgarian Makarov from J&G Sales ($229, but shipping and 2nd magazine cost extra).

They're both 100% reliable, super accurate, and very easy-shooting. I carry my "ugly little Makarov" every day, and my S&W Model 10 sits on my night stand every night. For someone with a couple dozen handguns, that says something that these two "cheapies" are my go-to weapons.

If I had bought either of these as a first handgun, I would have been completely spoiled and would not have known what a crappy handgun was like.

In addition to these two guns, the S&W 5906 and 6906s and Ruger P95s recommended by other posters on this thread are SOLID recommendations. Heck, i may have to spring for one of those S&W 6906s!

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    What are it's measurements?
    The 6906?

Model: 6906
    Caliber: 9 mm
    Barrel Length: 3.5"
    Unloaded Weight: 26.5 oz
    Overall Length: 6 7/8"
    Magazine Capacity: 12
    Finish: Stainless Steel Slide/Alloy Frame
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Tell him, if your going to stake your life on it, you don't want a cheap gun!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links