Advice On "Cheap" Gun

This is a discussion on Advice On "Cheap" Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An employee of mine (head line cook) approached me today about what kind of gun he could get for three hundred dollars or less. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Advice On "Cheap" Gun

Advice On "Cheap" Gun

An employee of mine (head line cook) approached me today about what kind of gun he could get for three hundred dollars or less. I was rather at a loss, because even my wife's CC gun, Ruger LC9, ran us around $379. He said he'd been looking into Hi-Points and Kel-Tecs, but I have zero knowledge when it comes to these manufacturers. I have a friend who pocket carries a Kel-Tec .380, and he says it's reliable, but I wouldn't be happy with the caliber.

I've heard good and bad about Kel-Tec, but nothing at all about Hi-Points. I pointed out to my employee that I'd read up on the Sigma by S&W(for one of my waitresses that wanted to buy her husband a low cost gun for Valentine's Day), but that it had a rep for a lousy trigger. Finally, I suggested he go to our local Police and Tactical supply and ask about used Glocks or Sigs.

Anything else I can tell him?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I got my KelTec PF9 for $250 at NW Armory, and I like it. Because of the way KelTecs are made, it may require some extra care at first, like a "fluff and buff" which you can find out how to do by Googling. I haven't seen the need for mine but one thing that some may forget to do as well is to clean the hole where the firing pin comes through and put a little oil on it on the spring side. Not much, just a little tiny bit. Also, don't dry fire a PF9. The manufacturer explicitly says in the manual not to, and someone posted on a forum I saw where they had a bent firing pin because of doing so. But snap caps are easy to purchase.

So, my PF9 has fired reliably (except if I let the firing pin hole go uncleaned after shooting a couple hundred rounds) and my wife's had a slight problem but it had more to do with her magazine than the gun itself. We swapped out mags and it worked fine.

If he wants to carry it, Hi-point is not the way to go.

Depends upon the KelTec, a PF9 is fine. Is he wanting a semi or revolver. Rossi on revolvers.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Ruger P95 is about $305 on bud's gun shop. At that price range that is probably his best option.
    Chevyguy85 and paullie like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

Download their catalog and look on page 29. For $299.99 you can pick up a S&W 5906 9mm that is a police trade-in.

VIP Member
    There are plenty of "cheap" guns out there. What you want to steer him towards is an inexpensive gun. Not necessarily the same thing. I'd suggest the Bersa Thunder 380 to him. Inexpensive, but quality built.
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    Hi points are garbage, Kel-tec isn't much better in my opinion. There are plenty of good quality, serviceable used sidearms to be had at good prices.
    CDNNINVESTMENTS.COM

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I got my Beretta for $300 as a police trade it...must have been a BUG because there is hardly a mark on it, it shoots like a dream and the rifling on the barrel is perfect

I'm assuming he's an inexperienced shooter. Personally, I think a revolver is a better choice for a beginner, particularly if he's not planning on a lot of range time.

On a low budget, he might want to look at an EAA Windicator, if he's OK with a wheelgun. They can be found new for about $250. The only complaint I have about them is a heavy trigger pull, but that's actually a bit of a plus for a newbie. I prefer a semi-auto or a smaller-frame revolver for carry, but would not hesitate to suggest a Windicator for HD.

Regards,
    Jim

In that price range I would definitely be looking at Bersa Thunder 380s. Great shooting little guns, and probably the best built in the price range.
    W9HDG likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I got my Beretta for $300 as a police trade it...must have been a BUG because there is hardly a mark on it, it shoots like a dream and the rifling on the barrel is perfect
    Sounds like a "steal." I'll be "upgrading" as soon as I can get some cash together. But my wife gets to buy the next gun (she keeps telling me that I have my pistol, two rifles, and a shotgun, but she only has the pistol, so she gets to buy the next one).

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I got my Beretta for $300 as a police trade it...
    What model?

My brother ha a Ruger P95 that he paid in the neighborhood of $300 for. It's never given him a lick of trouble. The DA pull is weird, but SA is just fine.

I have a Kel-Tec, an I'd steer him toward the Ruger.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Hi points are garbage, Kel-tec isn't much better in my opinion. There are plenty of good quality, serviceable used sidearms to be had at good prices.
    CDNNINVESTMENTS.COM

Im with this guy......5906 is a tank of a 9MM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links