Which Snubbie for carry? .38 Special or .357 Mag?

This is a discussion on Which Snubbie for carry? .38 Special or .357 Mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; .357 It also doubles as a mini-flame thrower If the bullet doesn't work, then at least their clothes will catch fire...

View Poll Results: Which snubbie do you carry? .38 Special or .357 Mag?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • .38 Special

86 54.43%
  • .357 Magnum

72 45.57%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which Snubbie for carry? .38 Special or .357 Mag?

It also doubles as a mini-flame thrower

If the bullet doesn't work, then at least their clothes will catch fire
    D1omedes, Doghandler and Knute like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

For me it depends on where I'm carrying the gun. Pocket/ J frame it's 38 special. IWB it's gonna be in a K or L frame and it will be 357. I like more weight in the gun for the 357.

I voted 38 since I would pocket carry a j frame more often.
    Question Everything!

My revolver choice for carry is the SP101 in .357 (handles .357 & .38)
    The gun is a tank and will last for a loooooooong time.

I've had Taurus and SW revolvers that were O.K., but not as nice as the Ruger.OMOYMV
    DanielC likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A good self defense ammo is FEDERAL PREMIUM .38 125GR NYCLAD HP (P38M)

Federal original would only sell this ammo to law enforcement. Federal has since changed that policy. However it is hard to find. I did find some on the internet but the are presently out of stock.
    PISTOL]PISTOL AMMUNITION - Assorted Carry Ammo - FEDERAL PREMIUM .38 125GR NYCLAD HP - (P38M) - 20 ROUNDS
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I picked up a s&w model 60 about a month back j frame 5 shot .357 with a 2.125 barrel on it I ended up putting hogue grips on it and the .357's shoot good. Still kicks good but the grips make it manigbal. My suggestion if you go with the .357 do not get a lightweight get a all steel or stainless to give a little help with the recoil. I have no problem hiding the gun at all. I can pop 3 good .357 shots quick keeping all three within 3 inches of each other(and the the center of the target) in quick secession. I may add a .38 snubey to my collection in the future but I'm glad I went with the .357 to start with.

P.S. I carry 158 grain federal hydrashok .357's in it. And yes I tested them in the gun and they shoot nice. I really do love my snubbies : )
    Last edited by Randleflagg; April 5th, 2012 at 03:32 AM.

I voted 38 because I have 5 different ones and carry 1 on a pretty regular basis. I don't have a .357 snubbie at this time, but hopefully that will change soon, and if it does the .357 may move up to the carry position.

I like both. SP101 in .357 (loaded w/ Rem or Speer magnum rds) or or an LCR .38 (loaded w/ Federal 158gr +p police loads or GDHP 135gr +p)

The .38 has been getting more time mostly because it is a bit lighter to carry.

642 is 38 which is what I have, I meant get the 640 which can shoot both either.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

The .357 is loud and hard on my hand. I carry a S&W Model 10 2" snubnose (when I don't carry my Makarov auto). The Model 10 is heavy but that is its virtue, it is very accurate and easy on the hand with .38 spl (158 grain). This is plenty enough cartridge for the job, and you cannot beat the reliability of a revolver. I tried the new S&W lightweights (6t42, etc) but in truth they are not fun to shoot, and I like to practice as much as I can.

Carry a Ruger KLCR 357/38 on a daily basis, loaded with either the infamous/famous Federal 125gr. 357Mag JHP (#1 man stopper per Ayoob, Sanow, Marshall, et al) or mixed with CorBon 110gr 38spl +P HP for follow up shots for better accuracy if first two shots of 357mag doesn't work, along with 2 strips of the CorBons for reloads. If not covered by that, run like hell.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

Yeah IMO a snubey is light enough as it is if I remember correctly my model 60 is 22.5 ounces(1.4 lbs.). nothing agents the air weights but 22.5 ounces is already light and shouldn't be to much weight no matter how you carry it. Not to mention the more weight the easier the recoil is to manage no matter the caliber. Again if you thing is the air weights or ultra lightweights out of scandium or aluminum or titanium that's fine but I don't think I'll ever get one. Oh and I forgot to mention before my model 60 is a chiefs special.

I voted for the .38 because that's my caliber of choice..

IMO, the .38 special is good enough and with the right loading, it's even better. +p is a small step up, but also MO, not necessary. No firearm in any caliber trumps a good point of impact.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I carry a 649-5 Bodyguard, I pretty much shoot only .38. It's nice to have the option for full .357 if I want to. I owned a 637 Airweight for about 6 months, and had a few problems with it from shooting +P all the time.

I don't carry mine, it's been designated for glove box duty - but it's a S&W 642 (.38).

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I will always get a .357 magnum, and use + Ps or .357.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links