Which Snubbie for carry? .38 Special or .357 Mag?

This is a discussion on Which Snubbie for carry? .38 Special or .357 Mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well looks like my newly acquired S&W m19-4 will be moving up to my carry piece. The bottom revolver a Taurus m85UL is /was my ...

View Poll Results: Which snubbie do you carry? .38 Special or .357 Mag?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • .38 Special

86 54.43%
  • .357 Magnum

72 45.57%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which Snubbie for carry? .38 Special or .357 Mag?

Well looks like my newly acquired S&W m19-4 will be moving up to my carry piece.

The bottom revolver a Taurus m85UL is /was my carry piece most of the time.
    45ACP4ever likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Only one opinion but scrap the idea of the .357 Magnum in a snub as totally unnecessary. The revolvers and ammunition are priced higher and they don't afford enough extra "oomph" to matter when top .38 Special loads are used. What they do supply is more concussive report and heavier recoil. A great many here on the Forum buy the .357 Magnum snubs but admit to carrying .38 Special in them. Just review former threads on the subject. The Smith & Wesson Models 442 and 642 are both popular and worthwhile and they are priced right in today's market. The 6-shot, steel-framed Colt Detective Special in .38 Special, though discontinued, is the best snub of all and worth it even if it has to be purchased as a used gun.

The .357 Magnum was developed for full-powered loads that substantially exceeded the performance of the .38 Special and was intended for large revolvers. It was not intended to be housed in small, light, weenie, revolvers or used in watered-down, "-P" loadings which have become popular with some shooters.

The combination of very short barrel and weak loadings make it a .357 Magnum in name only and a .38 Special in actual performance.
    Sorry, but this bears repeating........

OTOH, .357 mags work freaking awesome in BIG pistols!

bmcgilvray likes this.

I carry both but run 38+p in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Sorry, but this bears repeating........

OTOH, .357 mags work freaking awesome in BIG pistols!

That looks like the 6" 686+. Love mine, has a S&W factory gunsmith trigger job. Wish I could carry it concealed. Besides having the sweetest balance/recoil/2nd shot in my arsenal, it would be Crocodile Dundee-ish to pull it out: "No, this is a gun."
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

The only way I'd carry a .357 snub is in a SP101 or similar weapon. I do carry a LCR .38 with +P rounds.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I carry an LCR most of the time, but with standard .38 rounds. Don't like the feel of +P in this light little gun, and want to practice with what I carry as as far as feasible.
    --Alan Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    That looks like the 6" 686+. Love mine, has a S&W factory gunsmith trigger job. Wish I could carry it concealed. Besides having the sweetest balance/recoil/2nd shot in my arsenal, it would be Crocodile Dundee-ish to pull it out: "No, this is a gun."
    Yeppers. Spot on. I consider it a hand rifle. Holes in holes in holes. The most accurate (go figure), nicest trigger (without massage) pistol I own.

357 all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Yeppers. Spot on. I consider it a hand rifle. Holes in holes in holes. The most accurate (go figure), nicest trigger (without massage) pistol I own.
    The only reason mine has the trigger job is that I bought it at a S&W sales event at my LGS that included the trigger job. Dry fire said it was a sweet trigger, the job probably only made it slightly better.

Congrats on having one of my favorite guns.
    --Alan Simpson

The first snubby I carried was a .357 Magnum. By today's standards, it would be large, a Ruger Speed-Six with a 2 3/4" barrel.

Later, I carried a smaller Smith and Wesson 649 in 38 special.

Today, when I carry a snubby, it is a Ruger LCR in 38 special +P. It is lighter that the. 357 Magnum version and the round does very well on the street. I load it with Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point 135 great for Short Barrel.

I have seen some reports that show the .357 may get a little more speed in a snubby, but you would want the right ammo. I think the figures were between 100 and 200 fps for some of the better rounds. Of course, there is the large flash of some ammo as the powder burns as it is blasted out the barrel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links