Broke Down Bought TCP What Ammo Works Best

This is a discussion on Broke Down Bought TCP What Ammo Works Best within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I broke down and bought a pocket 380 TCP. May be a mistake but even the 642 is not convienent a lot of times. I've ...

Thread: Broke Down Bought TCP What Ammo Works Best

Broke Down Bought TCP What Ammo Works Best

I broke down and bought a pocket 380 TCP. May be a mistake but even the 642 is not convienent a lot of times. I've been searching forums and the web for weeks and whether it's the LCP, Kahr, P3AT, etc it seems to be a crapshoot if you get a good one and I liked the TCP. So my question is which self defense rounds seem to feed best. According to some, certain models feed certain ammo better and I want the most effective that seems to feed the best in the TCP.

2. Remove Ads

Oh Oh! Now yer gonna get it! You not only bought the much hated "Taurus"...you bought it in the much hated .380!!! lol....

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    Oh Oh! Now yer gonna get it! You not only bought the much hated "Taurus"...you bought it in the much hated .380!!! lol....
    I dont hate mine. When I first bought it I was a bit embrassed by the size of it. But after shooting it I am amazed how well it shoots and the accuracy it has. I was hitting beer cans 50-60 feet away. Then I realize that the size is so small I forget I was wearing it and will be great for hot summer days. As for ammo it seems to run with anything I put in it. I have been getting target ammo from Freedom Munitions no issues, my home defense I load magtech hollow points and only shot a box (25) in this gun but no issues either

380 or 45 you got to hit the target.
    380 can and will get the job done, I don't go for all the fancy named ammo some quality 85gr flat nose will do just fine for CC ammo.
    If the first 2 or 3 rounds don't stop them empty it it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    380 or 45 you got to hit the target.
    380 can and will get the job done, I don't go for all the fancy named ammo some quality 85gr flat nose will do just fine for CC ammo.
    If the first 2 or 3 rounds don't stop them empty it it will.
    Well said

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Mine eats anything I feed it. I like Gold Dots personally. For range ammo mine shoots reloads, WWB, anything really.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

My post was just stating facts! Not about the manufacturer or the caliber, but about many on this board! It was kinda tongue in check...I have a couple Tauruses (tauri?) and a much hated (Diamond Back) .380 among my collection myself, and personally have had great results with them, but anytime there is a post on Taurus or .380 those that know better than the rest of us always pipe up! And generally they have "heard something from someone whose uncle once had a taurus and it exploded and blew the whole neighborhood up, and wouldn't ever feed the next round and is made out of cheap pot metal" lol...

Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    My post was just stating facts! Not about the manufacturer or the caliber, but about many on this board! It was kinda tongue in check...I have a couple Tauruses (tauri?) and a much hated (Diamond Back) .380 among my collection myself, and personally have had great results with them, but anytime there is a post on Taurus or .380 those that know better than the rest of us always pipe up! And generally they have "heard something from someone whose uncle once had a taurus and it exploded and blew the whole neighborhood up, and wouldn't ever feed the next round and is made out of cheap pot metal" lol...
    I wasnt offended and seen your humor in your post. I also have several guns that cost alot more then the PT738 and it wouldnt have been my first choice for a gun. But my ex loved the way it felt and it was cheap. And it's a great surprise when it shoots well and as it does and hasnt failed once. I guess I wasnt expecting much from it. It was a little small for me but after putting a finger extension on it I dont mind it at all. I am glad I talked her out of the pink and went with the black since I kept it and she is gone!

The Gold Saber by Remington has a rounded profile that feeds like FMJ, and the jacket is hard brass that won't easily deform on a feed ramp. Also, the heavier than average bullet has plenty of momentum to cycle the slide. It works great in everything I have shot it in, everybody I work with that carries a .380 uses it, and all the local LEO agencies use it for BUGs, even if they approve another brand for duty guns.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links