DS snubbie

This is a discussion on DS snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is one sweet looking snubby....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: DS snubbie

VIP Member
    That is one sweet looking snubby.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    I took the DS snubbie out to the range today. I shot about 2/3 of a box of 158 gr roundnose thru it. Functioned great and I was able to hold a group of about 3" from 21'. As some have warned me, it did appear to be shooting high with this particular load. Unfortunately I did not have anything else to shoot. The recoil with the Pachs was managable, but I want to try it with the wood grips as well. I used to have one with the stock wood grips on it and I don't recall the recoil being as bad as today. It could be the ammo I guess. I don't remember what ammo I used in the other one. Overall I was pleased with the Colt. I even carried it around some in a IWB today and was pretty comfortable with it. Besides its pretty!
    Mine shoots high too...even with the 125s. But at least it doesn't shoot high AND left which many post 72s supposedly do. Mine came with pachmayrs...nice looking grips for rubber, but a bit big for carry (and they add some ounces too). I tried the 3rd gen wood but found those to be a bit thick, especially by the thumb area. So I found some 2nd gen wood and a pachmayr grip adapter from numrich arms. this set up affords a nice grip, doesn't stick to my clothes...and IMO, doesn't look bad either. Numrich sells the grips for 16.75 and the adapter (7L) for 8.25....:)

Here it is with 3rd gen wood.

And with the pachs it came with...:)

I also carry mine IWB exclusively....:)

Old School likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    Sure she will. Just use the old shoe or handbag argument. LOL
    Tried that. It didn't work.

She's really a good sport about the whole gun-bug thing, but I doubt I'd ever get her to understand the appeal (and need) for an ol' DS!

Regards,
    Jim

I love the nickel Detective Special! I agree that it needs to lose the clunky rubber Pach's and have some nice wood installed. No finer snub is made than a Detective Special.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    Mine shoots high too...even with the 125s. But at least it doesn't shoot high AND left which many post 72s supposedly do. Mine came with pachmayrs...nice looking grips for rubber, but a bit big for carry (and they add some ounces too). I tried the 3rd gen wood but found those to be a bit thick, especially by the thumb area. So I found some 2nd gen wood and a pachmayr grip adapter from numrich arms. this set up affords a nice grip, doesn't stick to my clothes...and IMO, doesn't look bad either. Numrich sells the grips for 16.75 and the adapter (7L) for 8.25....:)

Here it is with 3rd gen wood.

And with the pachs it came with...:)

I also carry mine IWB exclusively....:)

Nice setup. What brand is your IWB holster. Looks like it tucks up nice and tight.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

It's an old Stein from the 70s...my dad used to use it way back for his 66 Ds and he gave it to me for mine. :)

Never will go wrong buying a COLT.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Very nice Detective Specials fellows.

My 1977 3rd Gen ain't as purty as you boys Dick Specials but it shoots real well and I kinda like the holster wear as it gives it character.

Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

OS
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

It's an old Stein from the 70s...my dad used to use it way back for his 66 Ds and he gave it to me for mine. :)
    The old stein I got from my Dad was from the '40's. It was made of pewter, and had a glass bottom. Oh, wait - different kind of stein... Sorry!

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Those are some nice snubbies. I have been meaning to buy one but I don't know what I would prefer more, a Colt DS or a S&W snubbie. I am a left handed shooter and I think it might make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Very nice Detective Specials fellows.

My 1977 3rd Gen ain't as purty as you boys Dick Specials but it shoots real well and I kinda like the holster wear as it gives it character.

Image.jpg

Regards,

OS
    Mine will be there one day....kind of wish it had a few marks on it when I got it so I wouldn't worry about it anymore...:)
    Old School likes this.

By the way, that Stein holster is super comfy...very soft glove leather...wish I could find someone who can make the same thing today...I like the thumb break too..doesn't slow me down much and keeps the gun secure when I take it off...:)

Cool

Mine will be there one day....kind of wish it had a few marks on it when I got it so I wouldn't worry about it anymore...:)
    Send it to me, I'll send you mine to use and after a couple months we will send each others back.

It will definately have some holster wear then and you won't feel bad about being the one to mark it up..

I just got a new holster from Hays Holsters and it's still on the stiff side so I need to do some drawing to get it in shape. LOL

Image.jpg

Regards,

OS
    LoveLeather likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links