which gun to get

This is a discussion on which gun to get within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im in the market for a new gun. I want one that my wife and i will both enjoy shooting and she will be able ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mr surveyor

Thread: which gun to get

which gun to get

Im in the market for a new gun. I want one that my wife and i will both enjoy shooting and she will be able to take her CHL class with. Ive been looking at the CM9 and the Sig P238. This gun will not be an EDC for me as i carry my g27 but could make itself into the rotation every now and then. I like the CM9 but its only DA. She already has alittle trigger trouble when shooting her SW 642. I love the Sig238 because of the mini 1911 design but was worried about her taking her test with a .380. What are your thoughts on these two choices. Once again these are the two i like so any input on these two specific weapons would help. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

CM9. Good if you want to use it for a BUG also. Curious. What will be her EDC? The SW 642? If she is having problems with the 642, maybe she might want a different EDC. If I read that wrong I apologize in advance.

VIP Member
    The CM9 trigger should be easier than the 642, as it's striker fired. The extended mag will help with control on the range until she gets used to the flush mount for carry.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

She really dont have an EDC as of yet. I bought her the 642 thinking it would be a good gun for her to shoot and learn and keep in her bedside table. The simplicity of the gun is what drew me to it. Hammerless, no safety basically just point and pull. She hates the long trigger pull and it really effects her shooting. It may get better the more we work at it but i dont know yet. Plus that airweight has a pretty good snap to it... She will most likely carry one of these if she is comfortable with them. I have been looking hard at the Kahr but i also have been looking for an excuse to pick up a p238..

Given the two choices, I'd suggest the Kahr CM9. I don't think she should have any problems w/ it's DAO trigger. I don't have a CM9, but I've been very pleased w/ my Kahr CW45. The Sig 238 seems to be a very well liked gun by many. To me, the 238 is best suited for pocket or purse carry. Personally, I prefer a pocket/purse carry gun to have neither an external hammer nor an external safety lever to potentially snag on the draw.

If you don't mind a slightly bigger gun that will save a little money, you can also consider the Kahr CW9.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    The CM9 trigger should be easier than the 642, as it's striker fired.
    Just recently got to dry fire the CM9, a Mass compliant one at that, and it had one of the sweetest (hate that expression)
    triggers ever out of the box. Surprised me, not what I was expecting.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    In Texas she would be doing herself a disservice to shoot the CHL range qualification with any revolver, no matter how proficient. For reasons that haven't been corrected in the original legislation, if one qualifies with a revolver they are limited to carrying only revolvers (any, and as many as you want). If qualification is done with a semi-auto, then one can carry any style, number of legal handgun(s). I think that the OP is aware of that and trying to work along those lines.

Now, the choice between the CM9 and P238 are apples and oranges. She could use the .380 for Texas CHL qual as the limit is no less than .32 cal (for the range test.... once licensed, you can carry a .17 if you want). Several questions come to mind. Is she going to get enough trigger time with the micro sized P238 to make the score on the range test? Will she be 100% proficient, and comfortable with the external safety for cocked and locked carry, if this will be her future carry gun?

The CM9 does have a relatively long trigger pull, but fairly light and extremely smooth, with a clean break. It handles well, shoots amazingly light for a micro 9 and carries well. Being DA with no external controls to deal with under stress, it's the simple "point and bang" system. Like the P238, the barrel length and sight radius can be a limitation for those that aren't able to put enough rounds down range to become proficient out to 15 yards. I do love my CM9, and almost used it last month for my CHL renewal, but instead used my CW9 since it's what I carry more.

Of those two, I would pick the CM9 for any person, male or female, that has limited experience with small handguns and little or no experience in actual carry. But, personally, I would suggest a sub-compact model in 9mm. Staying with the originally mentioned styles I'd look at the EMP in 9mm in place of the P238 or the Kahr CW9 in place of the CM9. The longer sight radius on either of these will be an advantage over the micro's, and the relatively small CW9 delivers amazing low muzzle flip and percieved recoil due to the well designed low bore axis.

There's obviously a lot of handguns to choose from, but in an attempt to stay with the OP's original thoughts, that's my suggestions.

surv
    gunthorp and Gary T like this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by CWilliamson View Post
    She really dont have an EDC as of yet. I bought her the 642 thinking it would be a good gun for her to shoot and learn and keep in her bedside table. The simplicity of the gun is what drew me to it. Hammerless, no safety basically just point and pull. She hates the long trigger pull and it really effects her shooting. It may get better the more we work at it but i dont know yet. Plus that airweight has a pretty good snap to it... She will most likely carry one of these if she is comfortable with them. I have been looking hard at the Kahr but i also have been looking for an excuse to pick up a p238..
    J-Frame Drop in Duty/Carry Kit

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

NMB
    I recently purchased a 642 for my little lady, she was drawn to the weight, simplicity, and of course the ubiquitous "its pretty" . I cautioned her about the recoil and admittedly her first trip to the range was a wake up call.

However I have her dry fire on the couch while we watch TV, and shes improved greatly. I also picked up a few boxes of 148gr wadcutters (id hate to see what those things do to flesh!) and the recoil on them is VERY manageable in the little J-Frame. Give those a try with your gal before giving up on the 642, she now shoots very respectable groups at 10 yards (which is all I can ask for in a little snub).

Magtech 38 Special 148 Gr Lead Wadcutter Box of 50
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Thanks for all your input guys. I will keep it in mind when i make my decision. I have always been a subcompact kind of guy. For some reason i like smaller guns. I have a kimber pro but very rarely take it out of the safe. Maybe we just need alittle more trigger time with the 642 to get her to like it more. She will be taking the CHL test with a semi so she can carry both. Thanks again for the input. Ultimately i guess it will be up to her, as with everything else lol...

VIP Member
    Of the 2 mentioned I'd recommend the Kahr, and as Gary T suggested look at the CW9. When looking for a small carry gun for the wife we looked at the Taurus 709, it had issues with the trigger rest and the Ruger LC9, the trigger pull was excessively long in my opinion and she HATED the trigger on it. Ended up buying her a CW9, she loves the trigger and shoots it almost as well as she does her CZ75 Compact.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

642 trigger is heavy

I can understand why your wife has problems with the S&W 642 trigger, as it ranges from 12 to 14 pounds from the factory. I have a 642 and it requires strong hands and practice to shoot it well. The Kahr you are considering will have about a 7 pound trigger and is much easier to operate than the 642. I have a Kahr MK9 and the trigger is much more conducive to accurate shooting than my 642.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have a SIG P238 as a BUG. The external safety is shaped in such a way as to not snag on the draw (from pocket or purse). The sights can catch, but you will have that with any gun. I love this weapon. I would recommend it to anyone who is familiar with the 1911 platform. HOWEVER, it is made to be carried with the safety on, so there is one extra step to perform under stress if you have to use it.

Diamondback also makes a good DAO 9mm with a 5 lb. trigger pull. I have held one, and dry fired it, and liked the feel. It is lighter and slimmer than the Kahr, and cheaper too.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Links