XD or 1911's

This is a discussion on XD or 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in getting a .45 that I want to use for a bigger carry gun (when my license comes through) and for some ...

Thread: XD or 1911's

XD or 1911's

I am interested in getting a .45 that I want to use for a bigger carry gun (when my license comes through) and for some basic shooting competitions. I have narrowed my options down to the Springfield XD 45, Springfield 1911's, and the Taurus 1911 Stainless Steel (when it is released). All of theses I am looking at have the 5 inch barrell. I am really intrigued by having a classic 1911 style pistol, but would I miss some of the new technologies that the XD has? What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Para Ordnance P14-45. XD45 capacity, 1911 appearance.

VIP Member
    I just bought my first Springfield last Sunday. It will eventually be my primary carry gun. It's the 1911 Champion Stainless Steel .45 with a 4" barrel.
    This gun looks and feels rock solid and from my first impression, will not be my last Springer! Fit and finish is excellent too.
    I know you are looking for a 5" gun but I've got to say, for a stainless gun, this one is VERY nice! I don't think you would be sorry you bought any Springfield!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Well, those are 2 very differant styles of pistols. I would say that there is no definate answer, and what is best for you will depend on your experiance with both types of handguns.

That being said, I love my 4'' XD .45. It has proven to be 100% reliable with any ammo I have run through it (including wolf and monarch steel), and is capable of very good accuracy. I also enjoy having 14 rounds (thats 2 standard 1911's) of .45 flying ashtrays on tap if I need them. I love the way it fits, feels, and it is my favorite to shoot of my handguns.

However, the 1911 platform is a timeless piece. It too is rugged, reliable, and can come with "modern" tech as well.

Bacially, go out and shoot both, then decide.
    Fear No Evil.

hsuCowboy98,
    How do you carry your XD? Is it too thick for IWB?

I'm not hsu, but It's definitely not too thick for iwb. I carry it in the same iwb holster as my taurus pt-145 and used to use with my xd 40 sub compact which also fits the xd 9mm (if that tells you anything at all).:)

i carry a 4" service model XD-40 with an IWB holster no problem. i usually have a hooded sweatshirt over so it helps to hide the buldge.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I carry it in a crossbreed IWB holster at about 3-4 o'clock position. I have to admit that it is somewhat bulky, but then again I am 6'2'' 242 lbs, and I dont have a problem concealing most handguns because of my body shape. It is just as easy to conceal as my XD .40, and has an extra round. I typically only have to wear a knit collar shirt with an undershirt to conceal it well.
    Fear No Evil.

Question XD45 or 1911?

To me this question comes down to money. How much is in the budget? Because both of these pistols will work for what you want (Carry/Competition); just at different price points.

I have carried one kind of 1911 or another for years, and none were suitable "out of the box". This is a pistol that really needs hand fitting of quality small internal parts to get it to run like you would want it to.
    There is a tendency to use inexpensive small parts in the lower end pistols. I've seen too many MIM parts break to trust my life to them.

My current 1911 is a Springfield Armory Yost Bonitz 1* pistol that is a very, very nice pistol. It also cost 3X as much as my new SA XD45 Tactical.

The tactical is, if you are a 1911 shooter, a pistol you really don't want to like. It's a quality modern design, accurate, with a 1911 grip angle. The trigger isn't as good as a good 1911's; but hey, what is?
    The only modifications I'm going to do to it are some grip tape and night sights. That's it.

At the $500 price point it can't be beat.

So there you have it. I tend to think of my 1911 as more of a race vehicle that is expensive but runs very quickly.

The XD is more of a SUV that will survive a lot of mistreatment and still get you there...

Steve
    "When only the police are armed, it's called a Police State"... Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Man, that's a heckuva dilemma. I've (currently) got two 1911's and an XD45.

I love'em all.

Get one of each if you can.

Links