Need Help Selecting 9mm Compact Semi Auto for Wife's 2nd Pistol - Page 2

Need Help Selecting 9mm Compact Semi Auto for Wife's 2nd Pistol

This is a discussion on Need Help Selecting 9mm Compact Semi Auto for Wife's 2nd Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried Glocks, but they felt too big in my hand. It was a stretch to easily release the mag. The 9c feels great! A ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Need Help Selecting 9mm Compact Semi Auto for Wife's 2nd Pistol

I tried Glocks, but they felt too big in my hand. It was a stretch to easily release the mag. The 9c feels great! A perfect fit...

I'd go with a Khar over the Smith just because I think the Smith grip might be a strech for her with "small, arthritic hands". Of course she'd know best after trying them on at a shop. My gf has a hard time with my 40c, she has med size hands. But I do have the biggest grip insert on it.

My first looks would be at the M&P 9c, and also at the Beretta Nano--also a 9mm--but the Nano doesn't have a pinky finger magazine extension option yet--it's still pretty new. If Sig's making a P239--a 9mm version of their fine P238, that should be a fine small gun. The Kahr's are nice, but their lower price end models (like Sig's entry level guns) definitely aren't as nice as their their middle and more high priced models that made their fine reputations.

The ergonomics, the somewhat softer and adjustable grips on the M&P9c might make it the best choice, but besides reviews, you never really know until you get them out on the range.

+1 on the XD. I have an XD9C for EDC and my wife loves it. So much so that we're getting another for her to carry. She's petite with small hands, though not arthritic. Just my $.02.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Well, your wife obviously enjoys here Sig P232. Sigs are great pistols and the P232 really isn't that small of a handgun. My recommendation would be to stay with Sig Sauer since she is already familiar with Sig's double/single action trigger. Saying that, I would highly recommend a P239 in 9mm. Slightly larger than the P232, but in a major caliber. I have Glocks (26 and 30sf) and Sigs (P226 and P220) and the triggers are not at all alike. I might even consider the new Sig P224 in 9mm, but it is my understanding that it is now only available in double action (DAK) and will be offered in da/sa later. It is basically a cut down P229....similar in size to a Glock 26, but with an alloy frame instead of polymer like the Glock. But since it is a new Sig design, I probably wouldn't be interested until it's been tested in the market for at least a year or so. Do some research on the internet and I think you'll find that the Sig P239 is highly respected.......

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Those Sig suggestions are definitely worth pursuing, particularly given your wife's current preferences.

Others?

The Springfield EMP is very nice, but you'll have to be sure that your wife is proficient at its manual-of-arms.

Kahrs are also very nice, but their longer, typically heavier, DAO trigger may make the pistol problematic for your wife, particularly based on her list of dislikes. Manipulations are another concern, particularly as the smaller ones also tend to have heavier recoil springs, making racking the slide as well as malfunction clearances more of a concern.

The Ruger SR9c is also one of those very ergo-friendly pistols, but it tends to require a number of rounds downrange before the recoil spring tension gets to a point where those with compromised grip-strength feel comfortable with manipulations.

Despite these factors, though, those, I think, are still worth checking out.

And as with others here, I'd favor the S&W M&P9c, Walther PPS, as well as the XD9-SC/XDm9 3.8 Compact and Glock G26. I'd actually also encourage you to look at the Glock G19.

Recoil feel is very subjective in nature - the difference between two guns that one person perceives as harsh and intolerable may be all but unnoticeable to another. It's got a lot to do with our unique anatomy, and how that interacts with the specific gun. Yes, while the general rule-of-thumb, as based on simple physics, is unavoidable - that smaller, lighter guns will recoil more harshly than one that's larger and heavier - these personal difference can make a big difference.

Get out to a range that has the guns in their rental fleet, or borrow and beg of friends and family, to use their guns at the range, live-fire.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Cornered Cat

Don't choose the gun for her. Let her do it. It will be much better for the both of you.

I only tried the SA XD9sc, some Glocks, and the M&P 9c. The XD felt great and was fun to shoot, but being heavier than the M&P, I went with S&W. No regrets! I might add a .380 for a smaller carry in some circumstances.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldEagle View Post
    OK, here are the key factors

1. Petite lady, 5-5 with small arthritic hands.
    2. Usage: Home defense & purse carry
    3. She already has a Sig Sauer P232 in .380 as first pistol and loves it.
    4. Looking for a bit more stopping power, hence 9mm parabellum in a Compact frame is the goal.
    5. She will not consider: revolver, full size frame, .357, .40, or .45 (too big a jump in power/weight/size for her)

6. AVOID: harsh recoil, long/hard trigger pull
    7. INDIFFERENT: price, mag capacity, type/number of safeties, match barrel, rails
    8. MUST HAVE: smooth, reliable, tame, pain-free range experience so she can get a few hundred rounds through it & feel confident
    9. NICE TO HAVE: Good look/feel/comfortable to hold

Interested in others' experience and points of view. The WHAT and the WHY.
    Thanks in advance! GE
    cz pcr

I recently got my wife a Springfield XD9 sub-compact. She absolutely loves it. Not too big, nice trigger pull, high capacity mag in a small gun and we're both fans of the grip safety.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    cz pcr
    I agree I had a pcr once and it was a great gun. Wish I had it back sometimes. But I think its a little big for small hands epecially the first double action trigger pull. Another to look at would be the cz ramis

I love the Rami. also the HK P2000SK.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm very appreciative of all the replies -- great stuff! This is a very helpful forum, lots of freedom-loving people - awesome! :)

Based on feedback on this thread the short list so far is looking like we will try to focus on the following:
    1. Get to the range and let her live fire rentals/borrowed pistols and let her decide among
    2. M&P 9C, Kahr, XDM9, Sig P239, Ruger SR9C
    3. everything else

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Whatever you decide may not suit her, so make sure after all input is digested, she has opportunities to try all of the pistols she wants, so she can make the decision. Take her to a range with rentals, and let her try several to her hearts content.
    I agree with arthritis in her hands pulling the Slide might prove to be difficult so small cal revolvers might be the way to go

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links