Need Help Selecting 9mm Compact Semi Auto for Wife's 2nd Pistol

This is a discussion on Need Help Selecting 9mm Compact Semi Auto for Wife's 2nd Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, here are the key factors 1. Petite lady, 5-5 with small arthritic hands. 2. Usage: Home defense & purse carry 3. She already has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Need Help Selecting 9mm Compact Semi Auto for Wife's 2nd Pistol

OK, here are the key factors

1. Petite lady, 5-5 with small arthritic hands.
    2. Usage: Home defense & purse carry
    3. She already has a Sig Sauer P232 in .380 as first pistol and loves it.
    4. Looking for a bit more stopping power, hence 9mm parabellum in a Compact frame is the goal.
    5. She will not consider: revolver, full size frame, .357, .40, or .45 (too big a jump in power/weight/size for her)

6. AVOID: harsh recoil, long/hard trigger pull
    7. INDIFFERENT: price, mag capacity, type/number of safeties, match barrel, rails
    8. MUST HAVE: smooth, reliable, tame, pain-free range experience so she can get a few hundred rounds through it & feel confident
    9. NICE TO HAVE: Good look/feel/comfortable to hold

Interested in others' experience and points of view. The WHAT and the WHY.
    Thanks in advance! GE

Have her take a look at the M&P 9c, my wife shot my Kahr CM9 and my 9c, she didn't care for my CM9 because of the long trigger pull and recoil and when she shot my 9c she fell in love with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

m&p9c. I just purchased this gun and I really like it so far. Compact size good magazine capacity. And its probably the softest recoiling compact 9mm I have shot so far. And shop around I got mine for less than $500

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Kahr would fit your guidelines
    atctimmy likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Look at the 327 magnum yes 327 not 357,I've heard they are softer shooting with plenty of penetration to stop a threat.
    To be honest even tho the M&P9c isn't bad shooting it does have enough recoil I'm not sure if somebody with severe arthritis could manipulate it.There should be a gun range that has a rental she could try out,and possibly a gun chambered in the 327 federal magnum
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The M&P is a good gun, I would also check out the XD/XDm lineup of compacts. Also, Sig has the P938 coming out that is supposed to hit stores in a month or two. It is basically a P238 in 9X19, which if you don't know is an excellent pistol; small, soft shooting, very easy to rack the slide, etc.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Have her look at the Kahr CW9. Very smooth trigger on it and recoil is very manageable.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from AZ!

Have your lady take a look at the Kahr P9/CW9. Pretty close in size to the P232, and the polymer frame seems to tame the 9mm recoil nicely. Light, compact gun.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks for the early responses! I wouldn't have thought of Kahr or M&P, will definitely look very closely at them. I'm already a satisfied owner of XD-40 so Springfield will naturally get a try.

I have an M&P 9c. I have small hands and I use the small blackstrap. It's very easy to rack and handle. I like it a lot!

Whatever you decide may not suit her, so make sure after all input is digested, she has opportunities to try all of the pistols she wants, so she can make the decision. Take her to a range with rentals, and let her try several to her hearts content.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    What R&G says. How can you know by looking at a handgun whether it will be operator friendly or what your wife likes?
    Other folks recommendations don't mean squat unless the person recommending is 5'5" and has arthritic hands.
    Go to a range that rents guns and try out several. I have found that when you do that and tell the folks that if you find one your wife really likes you buy it there, they become really helpful.

Jungle Work
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the H&K P7 or P7M8 is 28 ounced. not a feather but you have little to no re-coil even with +P+'s
    and being semi-gas operated you can fire powder puffs ( even 380's ) and it will cycle

downside may be the squeeze cocker, but it can be done.
    i'm arthritic and this is now one of my 3 primaries.
    trick is while pushing the gun away from you with your strong hand and applying some squeeze
    to start cocking, with the other hand , comlete the grip and pull the gun to you--thus adding more to
    the squeeze. once squeezed and cocked it take less than 2 pounds of effort to hold the squeeze and the
    trigger breaks nice at 4-5 pounds.

and it is the most accurate 9mm i've ever shot. other guns at much more $ may be as good, but you can not get better.

--the other 2 are a Sig C3 and a S&W m60 3" 357 Pro with nyclads
    the smith might work for her also.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Glock 26, Sig 250 subcompact, M&P9c, Ruger SR9c. Since you didn't mention your budget, the Ruger SR9c and Sig 250 subcompact can be had for around $400 if you shop carefully. I own and love both these guns. The Ruger is a little thinner and lighter than the Sig.

I own 3 of the 4 above; my first choice for a woman would be the Ruger. Has a loaded chamber indicator, and a safety switch, and a very nice trigger.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Whatever you decide may not suit her, so make sure after all input is digested, she has opportunities to try all of the pistols she wants, so she can make the decision. Take her to a range with rentals, and let her try several to her hearts content.
    Agree wholeheartedly! Trying to get a "short list" via forum to research. Then live fire rental at range is what drives final decision. That's how I ended up with XD-40 for me. I didn't choose it--it chose me (via best groupings). ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links