Ruger LCR, .38 or .357?

Ruger LCR, .38 or .357?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR, .38 or .357? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok. Here is the deal. My wife is in the process of applying for her concealed carry permit and I am planning on buying her ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Okemo

Thread: Ruger LCR, .38 or .357?

Ruger LCR, .38 or .357?

Ok. Here is the deal. My wife is in the process of applying for her concealed carry permit and I am planning on buying her a carry piece. We rented a ruger lcr (.38 spl) with crimson trace grips at a local range and she loved it.

My question is, since the specs on the .357 mag version are very similar, is their any reason other than price (which is negligible) to buy the .38 in stead of the .357? My thought is buy the .357. Are they not basically the same gun other than that the .357 has a slightly longer cylinder?

What say you all?

Go with the .357 magnum. I bought a Ruger LCR .357 magnum
    for my wife to carry, she absolutely loves it and so do I. Now I kind of want one too.

You can shoot the .38 +P ammuniton as well as .38spl in a .357 magnum. That way she can carry it loaded with the magnum rounds but shoot the .38spl at the range to get accustomed to her new buddy.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; March 10th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

.38 is lighter ( empty weights) 13.5oz vs 17.1 oz with the tamer grips
    .357 is all stainless steel frame and cylinder
    .38 has aluminum frame
    .357 will absorb recoil better and allow you to shoot both .357 and .38
    Otherwise they are the same weapon internally and there is a boot grip and laser option

your choice, but it is a good one!

The 357 is nice in you can shoot 38's and 357 flexible for sure and when you shoot 38's in it lower recoil, smooth .
    Down side Cost more , weight, and size.
    38 is lighter easier to carry will still shoot +P's if you chose that is another never ending thread.
    A CC is that, a carry if after awhile it gets in the way is to heavy to uncomfortable it will be staying home more and more, Things you need to consider.
    Most important is what does she want.
    Personally I am a big fan of every Ruger ever made. Due to a hand problem my wife swapped her LC9 auto for the S&W body Guard 38 with laser. It is an easy revolver to carry.
    You can have about the same set up in an LCR
    38 BodyGuard.JPG

Put them both in your wifes hand and let her decide after you run down the pros and cons.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I have a 642 that I carry and practice with often. Shooting +P ammo in it is about all the recoil and muzzle blast I want to handle and be able to hit COM with a couple of quick shots at SD distances. With the snubby's short barrel, I don't see the .357 mag any advantage at all with the added noise, recoil, muzzle blast and fireball. I had a 6" barrel 686 and even with its weight is a handful with full power loads.

Especially for a woman, I would see a .38 as plenty... but let her try out both and see first hand.

Best wishes,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Get the .357 because it weighs more and will have less felt recoil when shooting .38 rounds. I have one. Great wheel-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by charles1951 View Post
    Get the .357 because it weighs more and will have less felt recoil when shooting .38 rounds. I have one. Great wheel-gun.
    So very true it would be easier to shoot, but with the weight might not be carried as easily or as much? The 642 using 135gr short barrel Gold Dots is a good compromise of form and function that most women can handle.
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

If it is your only gun, get the 357.

If this is solely for the wife, the 357 will handle recoil better from 38+P.

It is not my primary carry so I opted for the 38. I choose from an array of different pistols.

iPad/Tapatalk
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Links