DA/SA Pistols... - Page 2

DA/SA Pistols...

This is a discussion on DA/SA Pistols... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard I have a striker fired DA/SA. The gun has a decocking lever. This particular gun is exceedingly easy to get into ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: DA/SA Pistols...

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I have a striker fired DA/SA. The gun has a decocking lever. This particular gun
    is exceedingly easy to get into SA mode with a light and short movement of the slide.
    So much so, that I often double and triple check that the striker is not cocked (a visible
    red protrusion from the rear of the slide).

I seldom practice fire DA and then SA. I am convinced that in a pinch
    I will get the first DA shot off perhaps a tad low, but quickly, and then be
    good to go on subsequent SA mode. OR, I will have racked the slide the
    short distance necessary as I withdrew the gun from the holster.

I can't speak for other makes, models, brands, and certainly not for
    the particular gun mentioned by the OP. I'm just "sayin" that for myself
    and with my particular weapon, I think this is a non-issue.

Must add, mine is used much more as my bedside gun than a carry gun; my carry gun is SAO carried
    cocked and locked. I'd almost certainly have a second or so to rack the slide half an inch and
    get it cocked; but if not DA will do.
    Just a guess... And not hatin' on ya... But is it a Taurus 24/7 G2 you're talking about?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailer View Post
    I know there are a few here who are not fans of the DA/SA trigger... But to those who regularly use/carry a DA/SA, is the transition from that first DA shot to SA that big of a deal?
    Maybe for gun games - but for close range self defense? INSIGNIFICANT.
    Hopyard likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailer View Post
    Just a guess... And not hatin' on ya... But is it a Taurus 24/7 G2 you're talking about?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Nope. It is a well made quality item.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If you're shooting that CZ in da/sa that well, I've got to give you a lot of credit. I have a CZ75P01 and the da is really tuff. Now I mostly carry my Sig Sauer P220 Carry in DA/SA. I find that if you hold the pistol Very firmly in da, you can shoot very accurately with practice. I've got over 5,000 rounds through my P220 and now there is very little difference in the accuracy of the da shot vs sa shot. Just takes practice......

I think DA/SA is a more reasonable alternative to SA pistols than DAO anytime. DA/SA ought to be more popular than DAO.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

In a self defense fight it will happen close and fast. With a SA you need to think about a safety, and constantly worry about a cocked gun. With a DA you can just pull it out and shoot.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    In a self defense fight it will happen close and fast. With a SA you need to think about a safety, and constantly worry about a cocked gun. With a DA you can just pull it out and shoot.
    Yep! My point, exactly!

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    In a self defense fight it will happen close and fast. With a SA you need to train such that releasing the safety is second nature. after that it is not something you ever think about again. than, just like a DA, you can just pull it out and shoot.
    --it reads better now--for me anyways...
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I love my CZ-82. It is DA/SA and with enough practice it gets better. You may dry fire in DA until you see less movement in the sights when you finish pulling the trigger. As far as in self defense, it won't matter. In DA at the range you will most likely be at you will hit the first time and the second and third times. I find that SA has faster time on the trigger when I decide to pull it but that requires dropping the safety. It is really all in how you train and how safe you feel.

My friend varied the same gun and he carried cocked and locked. I am more of a fan of the longer pull that DA requires in the holster if the safety gets clicked off. The holster I use could rub the safety.

Again it all depends on your training and preference.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

DA to SA is not a big deal. Just like riding a bike or skateboard, a muscle memory.
    People will have their preferences with triggers and safeties.
    I don't like thumb safeties, but wouldn't whine if it was handed to me for free.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Nope. It is a well made quality item.
    Is it a Walther P99AS? That is my guess. I have been wanting one for awhile now. But the price has skyrocketed for them in recent years. When I bought a Glock 22 a few years back, it came down to being between that and the P99. They were the same price and the P99 felt great but I was not aware of aftermarket items for it. I was also new to guns and went with the Glock because the local cops and FBI carried it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links