DA/SA Pistols...

DA/SA Pistols...

This is a discussion on DA/SA Pistols... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are a few here who are not fans of the DA/SA trigger... But to those who regularly use/carry a DA/SA, is the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: DA/SA Pistols...

DA/SA Pistols...

I know there are a few here who are not fans of the DA/SA trigger... But to those who regularly use/carry a DA/SA, is the transition from that first DA shot to SA that big of a deal? I have had Glocks and M&Ps for a while now and while I am sure they're fine pistols... Just not for me. So I picked up a SIG Pro 9 mm and I have spent about 500 rounds just transitioning from that first DA shot to SA. My first two shots at about 7 yards are 1 1/2 - 2" groupings... Not too bad... But getting better. I just got a CZ P01, and my groupings are at about 1" or so at the same distance. What are your thoughts? I think that if you're familiar with the trigger, it is not a detriment, even in a panic or high stress situation.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I would argue it is not that big of a detriment. What I would suggest is shooting the DA pull for the majority of your training. It will help improve your accuracy overall. But if you like it, I don't think it will be a detriment to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I would argue it is not that big of a detriment. What I would suggest is shooting the DA pull for the majority of your training. It will help improve your accuracy overall. But if you like it, I don't think it will be a detriment to you.
    That's what I've been doing, when I chamber a round, I decock and fire one from DA, then follow up with a few in SA mode. I have been getting what I believe to be pretty good groups.

Love my SIGs. You get used to the DA/SA trigger pretty quick.
    kmagnuss and Crowbait like this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    x2 .

My S&W 457 is my EDC, its DA/SA. I do not have an issue with the first shot or other follow up shots. You are correct in training yourself. I carry it without the safety/decocker engaged.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if you can keep an open mind, and it sounds like you have--one can adjust
    to a great many different flavors. PMA trumps 'can't do causeism' near every time
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    X3. For me it's not that big of a deal, I barely notice the switch anymore. I'm sure it's just become a subconscious thing that my body makes the adjustment without me having to think about it now.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

I was raised shooting the Beretta 92fs and now caryy the PX4. I like the setup on my carry gun. Just like Harryball I carry one in chamber with safety/decoker off. AS long as you train with it and are comfortable I see no problem. I have fired many other guns my friends own and like them, I'm just more comfortable with the DA/SA setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    X3. For me it's not that big of a deal, I barely notice the switch anymore. I'm sure it's just become a subconscious thing that my body makes the adjustment without me having to think about it now.
    Yeah... I think that most who have a less than pleasurable experience with a SIG or SIG-like trigger, are simply not used to it. I was always scared away due simply to the fact that I read several posts where someone shot a friends SIG or other DA/SA pistol and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the first shot. I admittedly have missed out on owning some of what I consider to be very fine pistols because of my fears... The CZ P01 is a dream...

Love my fnx 9 da/sa. I've spent a good amount of time recently practicing da only. After that first da shot it doesn't seem to be a problem at all with follow up shots.

VIP Member
    Never had a problem with the transition. As for the P-01, probably the sweetest shooting gun I have, other than my DW 1911.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've had DA/SA pistols from a half-dozen manufacturers. Never a problem. If you have the time to thumb-cock for the first shot, fine. If not, the DA first round beats having to fool with a safety, IMHO.

Regards,
    Jim

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I love DA/SA took my kid shooting last week and his choose was DAO for his favorite gun (FNP-9)
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    I have a striker fired DA/SA. The gun has a decocking lever. This particular gun
    is exceedingly easy to get into SA mode with a light and short movement of the slide.
    So much so, that I often double and triple check that the striker is not cocked (a visible
    red protrusion from the rear of the slide).

I seldom practice fire DA and then SA. I am convinced that in a pinch
    I will get the first DA shot off perhaps a tad low, but quickly, and then be
    good to go on subsequent SA mode. OR, I will have racked the slide the
    short distance necessary as I withdrew the gun from the holster.

I can't speak for other makes, models, brands, and certainly not for
    the particular gun mentioned by the OP. I'm just "sayin" that for myself
    and with my particular weapon, I think this is a non-issue.

Must add, mine is used much more as my bedside gun than a carry gun; my carry gun is SAO carried
    cocked and locked. I'd almost certainly have a second or so to rack the slide half an inch and
    get it cocked; but if not DA will do.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links