Glock 30 Initial thoughts

This is a discussion on Glock 30 Initial thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by swinokur Get a Maglula UpLula mag loader. maglula, Ltd. > Home No more -1 mag loads. WELL worth the purchase price...best thing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Glock 30 Initial thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Get a Maglula UpLula mag loader. maglula, Ltd. > Home

No more -1 mag loads.
    WELL worth the purchase price...best thing since apple pie!
    shooterX likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

I've had my G30 for a couple of years and it's my every day carry pistol. I love that thing. In my case the 10 round mags haven't gotten easier to seat. The 13 rounders that I carry for reloads do seat easier. Mine is the SF model and after I bought it people were complaining of seating the mags. If you take the slide off look at your rails. In my case the rear rails are lower than the front rails. My wife's G19 the rails are of equal height and are high enough to allow easy seating of the mag. I just make do and when I initially load 10+1, I just deal with the extra effort. It doesn't seem to put too much strain on the mag catch. It's easy to load with the slide locked back so I'm guessing it's the rail height. It still runs like a champ though.

My G30SF is my favorite Glock and I carry 9 + 1, thats enough. Carry another mag. I think the G30SF is more accurate than my other Glocks and so much fun to shoot as well as carry.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

My Glock 30 is my favorite carry. Accurate and reliable, and easy to clean. I noticed I was shooting it less because ammo prices were going up, so I decide what I want to concentrate on whenever I take it to the range for practice. I also check Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com to compare prices for .45 ACP and other ammo. I have grown very fond of my new UpLula mag loader, too -- it saves wear & tear on my arthritic thumb joints. Highly recommended!

It is my softest shooting and most accurate Glock of the four - 23,27,30,36.

I have carried 9, myself.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I've yet to see this mentioned in discussions regarding the G30... so I guess it must be me.

I had Bowie do his magic on one. It was simply superlative; the grip reduction made the pistol fit my hand perfectly, it shot fabulously, and carried like a dream... and it was basically useless to me, because the magazine would NOT drop free during a normal or speed reload. The fleshy part of the heel of my hand would "capture" the mag, every time. It wasn't quite as bad using G21 magazines, but still occurred.

I tried the "girly reload" technique- where one uses the support hand to activate the mag release- and by opening my hand as much as possible (ended up holding the pistol by the thumb and trigger finger) I could get the mag to drop free. This, of course, is totally unsat.

So, with great sadness, I sold the piece. I just wish I had shot a G30 extensively prior to my commissioning the work; would have saved me some time and dollars. I have shot G30s before, but only a quick mag or two out of other people's guns. IOW, not enough to notice this idiosyncrasy. A friend has a G30 with the Robar grip reduction. I shot his after making this discovery, and it happens with his too. Out of curiousity, I sought out another acquaintance with a stock G30... yup, same issue.

All in all, a real bummer.....

To help save the mag,I'd carry 9+1,and a G21 mag as B-up,that spring is pretty compacted with 10+1,and that is another reason I shoot a lot of 9mm,.45 is so expensive compared to 9 or even .40.,and we are only alotted 100 rounds from the local P.D. a month,I'll shoot that in my first hour running drills.

If, like me, you follow the logical conclusion, the next move will be saving tor it's brother- the G29. Then you'll have the two best shooting, concealable, and very potent self defense friends known to man!!

And then you WILL reload!!

10th, welcome to the .45 circle! Just a couple of comments. First, your experience with the Magtech ammo doesn't surprise me. IMO it's about the bottom of the barrel, although it does go bang most of the time. It strikes me as really dirty stuff. Next - and this is just a hunch on my part - .45 ACP will probably shoot 'dirtier' than the 9mm since it's a low-pressure round relative to the 9mm. Powder burn rates vary, of course, but short of vastly over-loading a cartridge, a lot of powders seem to burn cleaner at higher pressures.

Lastly - I don't know where you live and if any big gun shows are in your area, but I have yet to find quality ammo cheaper anywhere other then the shows out here in the Phoenix area. Three weeks ago I paid $167 + tax for a case (500) of WW 230 ball from Miwall... that's a third cheaper then your $24 box. If the big shows aren't convenient for you, then check out AmmoToGo, ammoman, or any of the other on-line ammo sources. And until you start reloading, save your brass! I finally got set up a year ago and had a bunch saved up from just casually picking up some of my brass over the years - saving me some bucks at the outset. Now I can load .45 at about 13 cents a round.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the advice and insight everyone.

I’m still reluctant to get into reloading. Just don’t feel comfortable with powder in the house. Bad enough having to keep medications, cleaning solutions, firearms, etc from the kiddies – don’t need to add another item to that list!

If I can get the WWB ammo for about $0.33 per round, then I can live with that. It’s still 50% more than 9mm, but relatively affordable.

I’m also starting to doubt whether I had that failure to go into battery at all. I was a bit distracted at the range the other day – it was more crowded than I’ve ever seen, and the shooters either side of me were obviously inexperienced. Nothing makes me more nervous than a new shooter trying to instruct (or impress) his female “significant other.” I had that situation on both sides of me.

When I pulled the trigger, I thought I heard a “click” but no “bang.” I instinctively pushed the slide forward to ensure it was in battery, and then pulled the trigger again, this time getting it to fire. However, if it was really out of battery, I don’t think it would have been possible to get a “click” at all. And, if I did get a “click” I should not have been able to fire the Glock without racking the slide to reset the striker – which I did not do.

Any Glock armorers out there can feel free to weigh in on this.

I was wearing electronic ear muffs, which magnify all sounds except the sound of the shot. I’m starting to wonder if the “click” I heard was actually in the next lane over.

Really, it’s my own fault for not paying more attention to what happened, but like I said, I was worried about all the other shooters around me. In retrospect, I probably should have left and just gone on a different day. But, you know how it is when you want to try your new toy...

In any case, I’ll need to take the G30 out to the range some more in the near future, and run it again.

I’ve left the mags loaded for a few days now, and they do not seem any easier to seat in the pistol. I think I will just carry it with 10, instead of 10+1. I’m a bit miffed that Glock advertises this as a 10+1, because it really isn’t, IMHO.

I did order up the CT lasergrips. I’m looking forward to seeing how that impacts the “feel” of the grip. I actually like how the lasergrips feel on the grip of my G19.

Stay safe, everyone.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I have the same problem, 10thmtn. I have a 'non-diagnostic' approach to clearing malfunctions, and will do so without thinking. Great for self-defense, terrible for figuring out what happened...
    10thmtn likes this.

VIP Member
    I also noticed the mags were hard to engage when 10+1. but mine is also newer and I think it will loosen up some.

I was going to say time to start reloading. You need a fair number of items to get into it plus time to do it right. So purchasing bulk ammo may be the way to go. Purchase your 45 by the case not the box.

A cop friend shoots a 30 in centerfire matches . He beats out the 1911 race guns. It makes me have reverence for the tactical TUPPERWARE; as well as respect for his level of skill. ( wishing my FNP WAS AS ACCURATE TOO)

Stopped by my local Wal Mart again today. The good news is they had the WWB in stock. Bad news is that it went up to $37 per box of 100.

When I checked on line, and factored in shipping, that was about equal.

Gun show pricing might be better, but then you have to factor in travel and admission.

On the bright side, my accountant says I can deduct all my training, ammo, and other equipment costs from my taxes, since I volunteer as an Auxiliary and we have to supply our own stuff. So a silver lining there...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links