Glock 30 Initial thoughts

This is a discussion on Glock 30 Initial thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was finally able to go pick up my new Glock 30 yesterday. On the way to the gun store, I stopped at Wal ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Glock 30 Initial thoughts

So I was finally able to go pick up my new Glock 30 yesterday. On the way to the gun store, I stopped at Wal Mart and got the only two boxes of .45 ACP FMJ ammo they had in stock - Remington 230 gr - for about $24/box. Dang that is expensive compared to 9mm! Got a box of Magtech 230 gr FMJ and two boxes of 185 gr Critical Defense at the gun store with the gun. The ammo prices there were even worse.

Cleaned and lubed it this morning. Amazed (once again) at how clean Glocks are when they come from the factory - none of the usual dirt, grime, and grease that you get with many other makers.

Started shooting at the range with a box of the Remington ammo. Recoil was stout compared to 9mm, but manageable. I was concerned about possible "pinky bite" with the gap between the bottom of the grip and the mag base (which I experienced a while back with a G36) but that issue did not manifest itself. Accuracy was great - all shots within one ragged hole with the occasional flyer at 7 yards.

Switched to the Magtech ammo, and about half way through the box, I experienced a failure to go fully into battery. Pushed the slide all the way closed and it fired. Weird. It did seem as if the Magtech had less force than the Remington, but after shooting 9mm Glocks for 10 years with zero failures, I have to say this was a bit disheartening. Finished the rest of the box with no issues.

Went back to the Remington, fired a box with no issues, then fired a box (of 20) Critical Defense, no issues.

I went to the ammo counter at the range to buy another box - they wanted $38 for a box of .45 FMJ! No way, no how. That was it for the day. Out of ammo, and out of money.

I noted that it was difficult to seat a fully loaded mag into the pistol, in order to get full 10+1 capacity. You really need to smack the mag hard to get it to seat, much more so than my 9mm versions. I shot it loaded 10+1, and did not have any issues other than the one, but it did seem to put a lot of strain on the mag catch. Not sure if this is an issue, as I would imagine it will get a little better once the mag springs get used some more. Any advice on that, from folks who use a G30, would be appreciated.

When I got home to clean it, I noted that the gun was much dirtier (after only 190 rounds) than my 9mm Glocks seem to get after many hundreds of rounds. Maybe more powder in the case, maybe the ammo brand, I dunno. Just seemed way dirty for the number of shots fired.

I mostly pocket carry, due to my desire to be discreet, especially at work. Depending on pocket size, I will carry a G26, PM9 or LCP as a primary, with a LCP as a secondary. The G30 may eventually supplement my G19 and become my house gun, with occassional carry on the weekends when I can dress around it.

For now, I guess the jury is still out. Will need to go sell a kidney so I can buy more .45 ammo and shoot it some more.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So I was finally able to go pick up my new Glock 30 yesterday. On the way to the gun store, I stopped at Wal Mart and got the only two boxes of .45 ACP FMJ ammo they had in stock - Remington 230 gr - for about $24/box. Dang that is expensive compared to 9mm! Got a box of Magtech 230 gr FMJ and two boxes of 185 gr Critical Defense at the gun store with the gun. The ammo prices there were even worse.

Cleaned and lubed it this morning. Amazed (once again) at how clean Glocks are when they come from the factory - none of the usual dirt, grime, and grease that you get with many other makers.

Started shooting at the range with a box of the Remington ammo. Recoil was stout compared to 9mm, but manageable. I was concerned about possible "pinky bite" with the gap between the bottom of the grip and the mag base (which I experienced a while back with a G36) but that issue did not manifest itself. Accuracy was great - all shots within one ragged hole with the occasional flyer at 7 yards.

Switched to the Magtech ammo, and about half way through the box, I experienced a failure to go fully into battery. Pushed the slide all the way closed and it fired. Weird. It did seem as if the Magtech had less force than the Remington, but after shooting 9mm Glocks for 10 years with zero failures, I have to say this was a bit disheartening. Finished the rest of the box with no issues.

Went back to the Remington, fired a box with no issues, then fired a box (of 20) Critical Defense, no issues.

I went to the ammo counter at the range to buy another box - they wanted $38 for a box of .45 FMJ! No way, no how. That was it for the day. Out of ammo, and out of money.

I noted that it was difficult to seat a fully loaded mag into the pistol, in order to get full 10+1 capacity. You really need to smack the mag hard to get it to seat, much more so than my 9mm versions. I shot it loaded 10+1, and did not have any issues other than the one, but it did seem to put a lot of strain on the mag catch. Not sure if this is an issue, as I would imagine it will get a little better once the mag springs get used some more. Any advice on that, from folks who use a G30, would be appreciated.

When I got home to clean it, I noted that the gun was much dirtier (after only 190 rounds) than my 9mm Glocks seem to get after many hundreds of rounds. Maybe more powder in the case, maybe the ammo brand, I dunno. Just seemed way dirty for the number of shots fired.

I mostly pocket carry, due to my desire to be discreet, especially at work. Depending on pocket size, I will carry a G26, PM9 or LCP as a primary, with a LCP as a secondary. The G30 may eventually supplement my G19 and become my house gun, with occassional carry on the weekends when I can dress around it.

For now, I guess the jury is still out. Will need to go sell a kidney so I can buy more .45 ammo and shoot it some more.
    Congratulations on the new G30! One of those is second on my list.

Get a Dillon Square Deal B with two sets of dies. You will pay for it in a year.

I load 9mmP for $150.00/1,000 rounds. .380 for a bit less (less powder). I haven't priced .45ACP but I doubt it would be $200.00/1,000 rounds.

That's less than half price compared to store bought. To do pistol ammo you will need the SDB, a vibrating case cleaner, beam balance scale to set up the powder measure, and a cheap dial caliper to measure length. Compared to rifle ammo, pistol ammo is a piece of cake.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes,t he G30 mag is very stiff initially but the spring will relax once it gets some use. I left mine fully loaded for a couple of days and they were much easier to load/insert.

Good time to get into reloading. I tried SWCs in my G30 but they just didn't feed well. LRNs work fine.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The mags in my 30 do that as well. but I just carry the 10. Not +1. That way when I clear my firearm I can just put the chambered rnd back in my mag and not have to worry about a loose round in my pocket that my wife will find and complain about when doing laundry....
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I only carry 9 rounds in my Glock 30 mags. The 10th round is too hard to load, and the mag doesn't really like to seat properly in the gun when fully loaded. I also highly recommend pinky extensions on your mags. I have Scherer and Pearce. They both make my grip feel much better, and they don't add a lot of bulk.

Enjoy your 30. I love mine.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I have a Glock 30sf that I've had for a couple of years and I now have over 5,000 rounds through it. Hey! Don't get discouraged by a failure or two during the first 50 rounds......I had a couple to, but no problems since. The 30 is a very reliable pistol....you really shouldn't have any problems after you have a few hundred rounds through it.

I really don't consider the 30 a 10+1 pistol. I load one less round in my Glock magazines to save the springs.

I load my own 38special, 9mm, 45acp and 45 Colt on a Dillon press. I load 45acp at about $24 a hundred. You can save at least 50% if you reload your own. Depending on how much you shoot, you can pay for the reloader in less than a year.

VIP Member
    Leave the mags topped-off for a few days. It'll handle 10+1 with ease in no time.

For range ammo, I use WWB 230gr FMJ that I get from Walmart for about $30 per box of 100. I've also run a 1000 rnds of GA arms retreads through it. For carry, I've been toting Winchester bonded pdx1 230gr JHP (which Walmart also carries). With that ammo combination, I can run hundreds of rounds and the gun isn't all that dirty when I'm done. I haven't pushed it over 1000 without cleaning, but I don't think it would make much difference. It is a Glock.

I find that it conceals about the same as the G19 (perhaps better due to the shorter grip). Mine has run flawless, although (now that I think about it) it's never eaten anything lighter than 230gr (If I wanted less mass, I would have chosen a smaller caliber).

The Gen3 G30SF is certainly one of my favorites. It's what I carry when I'm on motorcycle trips where I don't know what the weather's gonna do to me, and I want to have as much gun as possible with me (did I mention that you can also get 10mm barrels/mags for it?). I'd hate to have to do without it.

Federal champion .45acp is still around $17.50 at walmart. I also buy CD and the price always seems to be the same regardless of caliber. 9mm is $17 per (25) and .45 is around $17.50. Hell, even 44 mag CD was like $18 last time I checked.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I carry my G30SF 10+1 with no problems. As stated above, the mags were stiff at first but it didn't take them long to become manageable.
    I don't reload or shoot reloads through my Glock barrels. WWB and federal from Wally World at about is the usual range stuff. Hornady TAP +P 230 is what I carry now, but I like Win. PDX1 also... Just don't have any now.

+1 on the 10mm conversion and mags!
    Well Done on your new Glock!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Ammo costs are one reason i don't shoot .45 ACP anymore. It is outrageous to pay so much. I much prefer my 9mm for plinking and defense. I do want a Glock 21 and 30 when I have more funding come in but for now I will stay with my 9mm Glocks.

The 30 is an awesome gun.

VIP Member
    I shoot mine 10+1 all the time with 230 grain ammo. I have no problems seating my mags, but the gun has a few thousand rounds through it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Get a Maglula UpLula mag loader. maglula, Ltd. > Home

No more -1 mag loads.

I'll leave the mags loaded for a few days, and see if that makes seating the mag easier. I carry all my other pistols +1, and would really like to do the same with this one if I can. Just to be clear, I was able to load 10 in the mag - it was just difficult to seat the mag properly in the pistol. Needed a very firm smack, and seemed to put a lot of pressure on the mag catch.

I have not gotten into reloading yet. I'm a bit concerned about having powder in the house, since I also have kids running around. Yet another thing to keep away from them. If I can find the WWB at $30 for 100, then that would be more reasonable. Problem is I only have one Wal Mart near me, and their selection is typically pretty poor, especially for the .45 for some reason...they had plenty of .380, 9mm, .38, .357, and .40...but hardly any .45. Go figure.

I usually buy my ammo there - it is the lowest price you can find, less even than the on-line merchants, especially when you factor in shipping.

Now that I think on it, most of my range ammo has been WWB and sometimes Federal. I don't think I have ever used Remington or Magtech. That might explain the huge difference in fouling I noted.

Thanks for the input, though that feed failure does nag me. I don't subscribe to the notion that Glocks need a break in period. OTOH, bad ammo can make any semi auto choke. Maybe I've been spoiled by my 9mm Glocks...dunno. Like I said, jury is still out. I'll need to shoot it some more in the next few weeks. Hopefully, I can score some of that WWB...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    One last thought... When mine was new and stiff, I'd seat a full 10 rnd mag with the slide back, then chamber the top round. Then drop the mag, top off & re-insert.

I think only did that for the first range session or two?

Good luck - let us know how it works out for you.

The G30 is one of my favorite all-around pistols, congrats. It is very accurate and super reliable. I do carry mine and like OWB with a cover garment. It is a bit heavy when fully loaded, but not so much so that it is bothersome. I reload to make shooting as much as I want affordable (about .15/round), but pricing at the local Wmart shows 100 ct. WWB at around $33. A full mag will seat easier over time, be patient. I've never had a feed issue with close to 3K rounds, yours might have been ammo, new pistol, or just a poor grip on that one shot--don't get too concerned, it'll probably be your first and last FTF.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links