Should I trade my G23 for my buddy's G19? - Page 3

Should I trade my G23 for my buddy's G19?

This is a discussion on Should I trade my G23 for my buddy's G19? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would keep the G23 and purchase .357 Sig and 9mm Bbls. Keep in mind you need to purchase G19 magazines to run 9mm reliably ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Should I trade my G23 for my buddy's G19?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I would keep the G23 and purchase .357 Sig and 9mm Bbls. Keep in mind you need to purchase G19 magazines to run 9mm reliably in the G23, but the .40 S&W mags are compatible with .357 Sig ammo.

Lone Wolf does make black and stainless barrels in 40 to 9 conversion, but they are threaded for a suppressor. Their standard length conversion barrels are stainless.

I own a G23 and am ordering a threaded 9mm barrel from Lone Wolf for it.
    RonCo likes this.

I've seen Nutnfancy's videos on using duracoat. The lonewolf SS conversion barrel may be a good entry-level duracoat project.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    I've seen Nutnfancy's videos on using duracoat. The lonewolf SS conversion barrel may be a good entry-level duracoat project.
    Just to let you know, if to plan to do a refinish, I recomend getting the barrel from Storm Lake or KKM. Lone wolf has a logo on top of the chamber and a sandpaper like finish over it. It's kinda wierd and probably wouldn't take to the finish well. You would have to sand or grind it smooth.Storm Lake and KKM are barrels of equal quality in my opinion and I would get one of them.

I can say that they work jus as good. My 9mm conversion for my G22 is from Storm Lake and my G30 conversion to 1Omm is from KKM. They are both good but KKM is pricey.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Keep the G23 and get a conversion. Mine has been flawless.
    RonCo likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I think conversions are a little silly. Just pick 40 or 9mm and when you do shoot the crap out of it.

My take on the trade is this. If you have a gun you rely on and trust then you shouldn't trade it for an unknown gun.

I prefer the G19 but in your case I'd keep my tried, trusted and true EDC gun.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yeah, I'd trade...unless you can afford both!
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I would buy it outright, rather than trade, but that's just me...

You can always get a 9mm barrel for your 23 if you want to shoot the slightly cheaper 9mm.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless you have more rounds(if any) to trade in the deal.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

I got a stainless 9mm conversion barrel to help keep from mixing them up. If you have any interest in a suppressor, get the threaded barrel now - $10 vs $80+ for threading after the fact.

Wanna try that again? And, make some sense next time.
    you all ready know what you are going to do...live with what ever you do because what ever you go you are going to be happy until the next time you trade. guns come and go with time ... gl

Cool

I recently traded my 1st Gen Glock 19 for some cash and a Cerakote finished S&W Model 10.
    Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Now if I want to carry a 9mm I carry my Browning HP.
    photo.jpg

The majority of the time my EDC is my 3rd Gen Glock 23.
    photo.jpg

My favorite Glock to shoot however is my 3rd Gen Glock 21SF
    photo.jpg

Good luck on you decision. You see what mine was.

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    you all ready know what you are going to do...live with what ever you do because what ever you go you are going to be happy until the next time you trade. guns come and go with time ... gl
    You have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not going debate you on it.

I have the 23 and will also get the 9mm barrel. OLD SCHOOL that is your 21 not a 23...Want one of those 45 but might go with a 1911..A guy at the LGS said your not American if ya don't have a 1911 !!
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Is the recoil really presenting problems (like discomfort) or is it something that practice can resolve?

I think conversions can create problems that never existed. Some are pricey too. You have to remember what barrel you have in it and also the correct magazine. Mix one up and you have either a single shot or inoperable gun. Not good if it is your only SD weapon. I do have a .40S&W barrel for my G32 but it's just to have and sits in my safe after I tried it out a couple of times at the range for function and feel. They both feed from the same magazines so no worry about mag mixups.

The .40S&W does have better ballistics than a 9mm and is a .40 caliber bullet. The 155gr load reaches towards 500ft lbs energy. Only 9mm +P+ can get close and that is with higher pressures. I'd try to keep the G23 and try different bullet weights (I tend to feel that lighter bullets have less felt recoil).

Recoil spring changes can alter the recoil feel. I put a heavier Wolff spring (and steel guide rod) in my G32. The Glocks are designed with a low bore axis. So felt recoil goes more directly into the hand but less muzzle flip tendency. Also a light gun to begin with. By the way, I don't find the .357Sig bad in terms of recoil over a 9mm. I have a G19 and G17 to compare with.

Hmm, why does your friend want your G23?

I vote for simplicity. Any time you are futzing around with conversions, et. al., you are diminishing the inherent value of Glock; keeping it simple. An additional data point for you: the 19 and 23 have the same dimensions and the mags have the same dimensions. I had a gaggle of 40 cal Glocks. When I found out my wife did not like shooting the 40, but was ok with shooting the 9, I got her a G19. I spent countless hours separating the 9 / 40 ammo, magazines, guns and always worried that I would inadvertently mix the two. It became way too exhausting! I sold all my 40 cal glocks (sans one I exclusively use with a beam hit laser trainer system). Now wife and I have 9mm Glocks and I do not have the exhausting ordeal of trying to ensure keeping the 9 and 40 separate.

Whatever you do, keep it simple! I would recommend not getting a conversion. Too much administrative garbage to keep in order. ANd if out of order, well, it could be devastating. Stay in-line with the Glock philosophy. Keep it simple!
    Last edited by sojourner; March 12th, 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling and additional content

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not going debate you on it.
    What is the difference between the two... size and cal right! you can get a lone wolf barrel and shoot 9mm but you can't do the opposite. I have a 23 and it's a great gun with a barrel it shoots 9mm. if you are asking you don't wanna give it up…Right? You know what you have, a trouble free gun. good luck but the 23 is a great gun for carry. Now if you want something different the 26 is a great little gun that is different with a 9mm.

Capacity difference (13 vs 15) is negligible. Size and dimensions are the same. Ammo price is not that much difference. It comes down to do you prefer the shooting characteristics of 9 more than 40? If so, you can either trade or get the conversion barrel and a couple mags. I personally don't see that much difference betwen 9 and 40, so I'd just keep the 23.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links