32 ACP weapon - Page 6

32 ACP weapon

This is a discussion on 32 ACP weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cokeman Do those exist? Indeed they do. Lightweight PPK - Pistolsmith I have handled one; a delightful little piece. My offer to ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 32 ACP weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Do those exist?
    Indeed they do.

Lightweight PPK - Pistolsmith

I have handled one; a delightful little piece.

My offer to purchase it was met with a snort and a jaundiced eye; the fellow knew what he had.

I carry a 32 Tomcat in the summer in a front pocket with a leather molded hoslster. Use the winchester silvertip. Have carried for years when I can't take my Kahr pm9.

P-32 comments from retired LEO

If they would have offered the P-32 when I was a detective, my life would have been less complicated (ie., hiding a larger gun and/or the smallest one issued/a S&W bodyguard).

My P-32 has never failed in the 3 or 4 years I have owned it.

I get an itch and go out and buy the latest most expensive carry gun every once and a while. (ie., Roebrough (SP?), EMP 9mm, Sig 230 or 232, etc, etc.). In a week I am back with the P-32.

I tried the neat little LCP in 380 thinking why not go with a .380 instead of the .32? You guessed it, in a week I was back with the P-32.

For me, the P-32 is very accurate and easier to use the minimal sights. It stays open on the last shot. It is also much more pleasant to shoot than the small .380s. Last summer I found a nice, Mauser .32 acp. It really snapped when shooting it since it is a blow back action. This suprised me since I hardly feel the P-32 when I shoot it.

I have also grown very found of the .32 acp round. So much so that I recently found a rare, .32 acp, Sig 230 (allegedly made for the Japanese Police forces). I bought it, and sent it home from Florida to my FFL. Can not wait to shoot it but it will probably "snap" a little more than my P-32.

To avoid "rim lock" I carry a Silver Tip in the barrel and top round in the mag. The rest are ball ammo. Probably would be OK with all ball ammo in this round however. (Maybe the Sig 230, mentioned above, will not have a "rim lock" issue since being a blow back action it may over ride the rim lock condition it if occures. Any thoughts on this anyone?)

I do always carry at least a Glock 19 in my glove box. But like everyone says, a small gun in your pocket is better than a larger one in you car.

Just some thoughts (great thread).

Trooper Joe
    sid1 and sixgun like this.

Are we talking about a Kel-tec P-32? I didn't know those stayed open after the last round is fired.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Are we talking about a Kel-tec P-32? I didn't know those stayed open after the last round is fired.
    The p-32 does stay open on the last round the p-3at kel--tec does not.

I just have a question here. To those of you who carry a smaller pistol or caliber due to size or weight.....do you think if you employed the right carry method with the right holster that you'd carry a larger pistol or caliber and wouldn't have to compromise? I have nothing against carrying what you want and can deal with......better than nothing, and carrying a baseball bat tends to tie up one hand when doing tasks. I'm just wondering.
    zonker1986 and Yankeejib like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    The p-32 does stay open on the last round the p-3at kel--tec does not.
    Really? What holds it open?
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Hold open device on Kel Tec P-32

Really? What holds it open?
    An internal hold open lever activated by the magazine follower. It would be a no brainer to put these on the P3AT and/or the LCP and others. I guess they all save a dime or two per copy.

Most ranges require you to have the slide locked back during the time the range is "cold". At least the LCP has a manual external hold open device.

Trooper Joe

PS My 1,300 dollar Robaugh (SP?) doesn't have one either. Go figure!

I have a Kel-Tec P32 that is my carry around the house gun. I selected it over the previous LCP I was using in that role because the P32 is a couple of ounces lighter, holds an additional round, and is easier to shoot well (less recoil, slightly better sights). I don't think the .380 ACP is a really significant improvement over the .32 ACP, and I enjoy the .32 more when it comes to shooting. There is a Walther PP .32 from 1966 at my local pawn/gun shop that is calling my name. Here are my two current .32 ACP pistols, pretty much extremes on either end:

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    GG was shot twice in the chest, shoulder and arm. BG was shot twice in the chest. I followed this story after it took place in 2009 and read other reports on the shooting. You're right, its not relevant that the good guy took five hits from a .380 and still had the ability to put two shots center mass into the BG.
    I know this was meant tongue in cheek, but in reality, it isn't relevant that the good guy took four or five rounds of .380 and killed the bad guy with his 9mm. It isn't relevant because we have no idea where exactly either was struck and when exactly either was struck. It could have just as easily gone the other way. Stopping power is primarily about shot placement and enough penetration to reach vitals, everything else is gravy. I'm not suggesting that the 9x19mm isn't a better cartridge than the .380 or .32 ACP, it is, but without knowing the specifics of the injuries and when they were inflicted this shooting can't just be assumed to be proof that the results of the shooting were do to the 9mm being better than the .380.

Some time back my department responded to three different shootings in less than a week where the victims were shot in the head. Two of them with .32 ACPs and the other with a 9x19mm. In all three cases the victims survived and stayed mobile and the bullets all failed to penetrate their skulls. Is that proof that the 9x19mm and .32 ACP are equally ineffective?
    Last edited by Landric; April 9th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    I have a Kel-Tec P32 that is my carry around the house gun. I selected it over the previous LCP I was using in that role because the P32 is a couple of ounces lighter, holds an additional round, and is easier to shoot well (less recoil, slightly better sights). I don't think the .380 ACP is a really significant improvement over the .32 ACP, and I enjoy the .32 more when it comes to shooting. There is a Walther PP .32 from 1966 at my local pawn/gun shop that is calling my name. Here are my two current .32 ACP pistols, pretty much extremes on either end:

I know this was meant tongue in cheek, but in reality, it isn't relevant that the good guy took four or five rounds of .380 and killed the bad guy with his 9mm. It isn't relevant because we have no idea where exactly either was struck and when exactly either was struck. It could have just as easily gone the other way. Stopping power is primarily about shot placement and enough penetration to reach vitals, everything else is gravy. I'm not suggesting that the 9x19mm isn't a better cartridge than the .380 or .32 ACP, it is, but without knowing the specifics of the injuries and when they were inflicted this shooting can't just be assumed to be proof that the results of the shooting were do to the 9mm being better than the .380.

Some time back my department responded to three different shootings in less than a week where the victims were shot in the head. Two of them with .32 ACPs and the other with a 9x19mm. In all three cases the victims survived and stayed mobile and the bullets all failed to penetrate their skulls. Is that proof that the 9x19mm and .32 ACP are equally ineffective?
    so I assume your department issues the .32acp as a duty weapon? Since it is so effective, just leave the Glock 22 home and carry the .32. I'm sure all the BG's on the street are just carrying toy guns and .22's so you should be fine.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Not every dept. carries a glock either, BTW we're not talking abt cops and guns. We're on the subject of CCW for the average Joe who likes carrying the 32 round. Oh granted if I was out looking for trouble and trying to solve it on a daily routine as a cop I would carry something like a Smith M&P high capacity 9 or 40 caliber pistol with several extra mags to boot with a BUG hidden close by for that just in case moment. The BUG ? 32ACP or 380 ? I guess they can stop a incident also since police carry them also for a backup if allowed by their dept.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Mine carries as easy as a pocketknife or wallet. Maybe if a BG wants my wallet I can give it too him faster then a cat can licks its arse.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Not every dept. carries a glock either, BTW we're not talking abt cops and guns. We're on the subject of CCW for the average Joe who likes carrying the 32 round. Oh granted if I was out looking for trouble and trying to solve it on a daily routine as a cop I would carry something like a Smith M&P high capacity 9 or 40 caliber pistol with several extra mags to boot with a BUG hidden close by for that just in case moment. The BUG ? 32ACP or 380 ? I guess they can stop a incident also since police carry them also for a backup if allowed by their dept.
    That's right. Remember when the Tijuana cops were issued slingshots instead of guns?
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    so I assume your department issues the .32acp as a duty weapon? Since it is so effective, just leave the Glock 22 home and carry the .32. I'm sure all the BG's on the street are just carrying toy guns and .22's so you should be fine.
    So, basically you have nothing constructive to offer. OK, got it. Had you actually read my post you would have noticed that no where did I say the .32 ACP (or .380 ACP for that matter) was as effective as the 9x19mm, .40, etc. What I did say was that the example you posted isn't a good example because there isn't enough detail. I don't think anyone would argue that the 9x19mm isn't a better cartridge than the .32 ACP for self-defense.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    So, basically you have nothing constructive to offer. OK, got it. Had you actually read my post you would have noticed that no where did I say the .32 ACP (or .380 ACP for that matter) was as effective as the 9x19mm, .40, etc. What I did say was that the example you posted isn't a good example because there isn't enough detail. I don't think anyone would argue that the 9x19mm isn't a better cartridge than the .32 ACP for self-defense.
    OK, let me cut to the chase. I read thread after thread here of people spouting the vitues of carrying a small caliber weapon for self defense because it is so convenient and "just disappears in my pocket".
    I train any new shooter to be prepared for the worst case scenario, not the best case scenario. Carrying anything less than a service caliber weapon as even a BUG is in my opinion a mistake. If you are relying on your BUG to save your life, then you had better have somthing coming out your pocket that throws something more than a 65 grain bullet. I see time and time again posts that say "my chances of getting into a lethal confrontation are equivalent to being struck by lightning so my little pocket .32 is more than adequate. I agree with that assessment and odds. Unfortunately, I don't gamble with my life or those that I love, so I choose, and train others to carry as much gun as possible. Convenience and portability are not the most important part of concealed carry. "a .32 in the pocket is better than a .45 at home in the safe" just tells me you don't have the right holster or mindset to carry a larger gun and totally hung up on convenience. You're just kidding yourself that your are well armed.
    I live in a dangerous city. Road rage incidents happen every stinking day. The thugs and bangers here in Orlando are not carrying toys or pellet guns, but rather 9mm's, 40's and 45s. I choose to carry a 9mm or 40 as my EDC and carry a small 9mm as a BUG. That's just me.....not a popular opinion, but its the way I live. Gun owners are an independent hard-headed lot, and I have no intentions of changing the way anyone carries. Its your life, not mine.....carry as you see fit. My only agenda here is to get folks thinking about there carry habits with some common sense. Would I have a chance going up against a couple of BG's with high-cap 9mm's if I were carrying my .32 as a primary? What would happen if I were surrounded by a group of bangers ready to kill me and I had no choice but to defend my life? Again, these are extreme examples of things we all hope never happen, but unfortunately (read the news) they do every day.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
    sixgun and Yankeejib like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links