32 ACP weapon - Page 7

32 ACP weapon

This is a discussion on 32 ACP weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 OK, let me cut to the chase. I read thread after thread here of people spouting the vitues of carrying a ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 32 ACP weapon

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    OK, let me cut to the chase. I read thread after thread here of people spouting the vitues of carrying a small caliber weapon for self defense because it is so convenient and "just disappears in my pocket".
    I train any new shooter to be prepared for the worst case scenario, not the best case scenario. Carrying anything less than a service caliber weapon as even a BUG is in my opinion a mistake. If you are relying on your BUG to save your life, then you had better have somthing coming out your pocket that throws something more than a 65 grain bullet. I see time and time again posts that say "my chances of getting into a lethal confrontation are equivalent to being struck by lightning so my little pocket .32 is more than adequate. I agree with that assessment and odds. Unfortunately, I don't gamble with my life or those that I love, so I choose, and train others to carry as much gun as possible. Convenience and portability are not the most important part of concealed carry. "a .32 in the pocket is better than a .45 at home in the safe" just tells me you don't have the right holster or mindset to carry a larger gun and totally hung up on convenience. You're just kidding yourself that your are well armed.
    I live in a dangerous city. Road rage incidents happen every stinking day. The thugs and bangers here in Orlando are not carrying toys or pellet guns, but rather 9mm's, 40's and 45s. I choose to carry a 9mm or 40 as my EDC and carry a small 9mm as a BUG. That's just me.....not a popular opinion, but its the way I live. Gun owners are an independent hard-headed lot, and I have no intentions of changing the way anyone carries. Its your life, not mine.....carry as you see fit. My only agenda here is to get folks thinking about there carry habits with some common sense. Would I have a chance going up against a couple of BG's with high-cap 9mm's if I were carrying my .32 as a primary? What would happen if I were surrounded by a group of bangers ready to kill me and I had no choice but to defend my life? Again, these are extreme examples of things we all hope never happen, but unfortunately (read the news) they do every day.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
    I do agree. I carry my 32 when Im bicycling or really hot weather. Im currently reevaluating my defensive options and looking into the smaller singlestack 9mms

I have a Seecamp .32. Comes in handy for deep concealment/low risk enviroment carry (i.e. going to a wedding ceremony and reception) that my J-frame is too big for.

When I was younger (25 years ago), I once had a girlfriend that was anti-gun so I could not wear anything with a holster or she'd see it. Didn't have Seecamps or LCPs then so I had to hide a pipsqueak .25 Beretta in a coat pocket when going to her place for some TLC. A J-frame was still too detectable. My backup was a 12ga pump in the car trunk.

Here's a link to .32 shooting data and stopping percentages: 32 ACP Stopping Power

OK, let me cut to the chase. I read thread after thread here of people spouting the vitues of carrying a small caliber weapon for self defense because it is so convenient and "just disappears in my pocket".
    I train any new shooter to be prepared for the worst case scenario, not the best case scenario. Carrying anything less than a service caliber weapon as even a BUG is in my opinion a mistake. If you are relying on your BUG to save your life, then you had better have somthing coming out your pocket that throws something more than a 65 grain bullet. I see time and time again posts that say "my chances of getting into a lethal confrontation are equivalent to being struck by lightning so my little pocket .32 is more than adequate. I agree with that assessment and odds. Unfortunately, I don't gamble with my life or those that I love, so I choose, and train others to carry as much gun as possible. Convenience and portability are not the most important part of concealed carry. "a .32 in the pocket is better than a .45 at home in the safe" just tells me you don't have the right holster or mindset to carry a larger gun and totally hung up on convenience. You're just kidding yourself that your are well armed.
    I live in a dangerous city. Road rage incidents happen every stinking day. The thugs and bangers here in Orlando are not carrying toys or pellet guns, but rather 9mm's, 40's and 45s. I choose to carry a 9mm or 40 as my EDC and carry a small 9mm as a BUG. That's just me.....not a popular opinion, but its the way I live. Gun owners are an independent hard-headed lot, and I have no intentions of changing the way anyone carries. Its your life, not mine.....carry as you see fit. My only agenda here is to get folks thinking about there carry habits with some common sense. Would I have a chance going up against a couple of BG's with high-cap 9mm's if I were carrying my .32 as a primary? What would happen if I were surrounded by a group of bangers ready to kill me and I had no choice but to defend my life? Again, these are extreme examples of things we all hope never happen, but unfortunately (read the news) they do every day.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
    Why don't you wear a trench coat all the time, and carry an AR15 or AK47 all the time? Maybe get a Class III and go full-auto? How about a full-auto Saiga 12? Maybe a Barrett .50 customed into an SBR? After all, you must "be prepared for the worst case scenario, not the best case scenario". The worst-case scenario is a full-scale invasion by the Chinese, Russians, Iranians, North Koreans, or maybe space aliens, landing right in your neighborhood! You're counting on a stinkin' 9mm or .40???

Most of us base our carry upon a reasonable threat assessment. The weapons I mentioned above might be a bit of overkill for EDC - but for "worst case"??? Maybe not.

I've never felt "under-gunned" with my .380 Sig on my belt. Now that I have a CM9, I prefer it, and for late nights in a bad neighborhood I'd go with the M&P 9 or XDm .40 - but I'd be smarter to just stay out of bad neighborhoods late at night.

For a while, we were at risk from a psychotic doper ex-son-in-law who had threatened our lives many times over, but I never felt like I needed more than a .38 snub or a .380 for protection. I'm a pretty good shot. The little POS eliminated himself via an O.D., and now more than ever I'm comfortable with a .380, or single-stack 9mm for the majority of CC needs.

If the Iranians or the Cylons land in my back yard, I guess I'm SOL, 'cause I'm not prepared for the "worst case scenario". My bad. It's all a judgment call, based on a reasonable threat assessment.

Regards,
    Jim

I train any new shooter to be prepared for the worst case scenario, not the best case scenario. .
    So, you are a professional LE trainer, with experience investigating actual shootings?

Or, perhaps a CCW "instructor" with an NRA ticket?

Just curious...

IMO, anyone who carries less than a service caliber weapon is selling themselves on "piece of mind" much the same way cemetery salesmen do. Hopefully, you won't have to rely on either in the near future.

Newsflash: All you dummies who keep schooling everyone on not carrying anything smaller than a 9mm, we know. You've told us 700 times a day for years and years and years. How could we not know by now? We know. It's impossible to find a thread anywhere where someone is talking about a <9mm caliber and some other person is schooling them about why they shouldn't carry anything <9mm. Did I mention that we know? And before you reply with your witty super-smart awesome comment, WE KNOW!!!, so save it.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    IMO, anyone who carries less than a service caliber weapon is selling themselves on "piece of mind" much the same way cemetery salesmen do. Hopefully, you won't have to rely on either in the near future.
    We are the last to let you down....
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Newsflash: All you dummies who keep schooling everyone on not carrying anything smaller than a 9mm, we know. You've told us 700 times a day for years and years and years. How could we not know by now? We know. It's impossible to find a thread anywhere where someone is talking about a <9mm caliber and some other person is schooling them about why they shouldn't carry anything <9mm. Did I mention that we know? And before you reply with your witty super-smart awesome comment, WE KNOW!!!, so save it.
    Nothing witty about it. You obviously know everything already.
    Not insulting anyone's intelligence or calling them "dummies". Sorry my post got you in such a twist.
    Just hate to see people stake their lives on bad advice, and this thread is chock full. I'd hate for a new person seeking advice to believe a .32 would be in their best interest.
    If carrying comfort has a higher priority than having the ability to save your life sometime, more power to you
    Last edited by Yankeejib; April 12th, 2012 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    So, you are a professional LE trainer, with experience investigating actual shootings?

Or, perhaps a CCW "instructor" with an NRA ticket?

Just curious...

LEO? I couldn't afford the HUGE cut in pay.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Why don't you wear a trench coat all the time, and carry an AR15 or AK47 all the time? Maybe get a Class III and go full-auto? How about a full-auto Saiga 12? Maybe a Barrett .50 customed into an SBR? After all, you must "be prepared for the worst case scenario, not the best case scenario". The worst-case scenario is a full-scale invasion by the Chinese, Russians, Iranians, North Koreans, or maybe space aliens, landing right in your neighborhood! You're counting on a stinkin' 9mm or .40???

Most of us base our carry upon a reasonable threat assessment. The weapons I mentioned above might be a bit of overkill for EDC - but for "worst case"??? Maybe not.

I've never felt "under-gunned" with my .380 Sig on my belt. Now that I have a CM9, I prefer it, and for late nights in a bad neighborhood I'd go with the M&P 9 or XDm .40 - but I'd be smarter to just stay out of bad neighborhoods late at night.

For a while, we were at risk from a psychotic doper ex-son-in-law who had threatened our lives many times over, but I never felt like I needed more than a .38 snub or a .380 for protection. I'm a pretty good shot. The little POS eliminated himself via an O.D., and now more than ever I'm comfortable with a .380, or single-stack 9mm for the majority of CC needs.

If the Iranians or the Cylons land in my back yard, I guess I'm SOL, 'cause I'm not prepared for the "worst case scenario". My bad. It's all a judgment call, based on a reasonable threat assessment.

Regards,
    Jim
    ....I'd cook in a trench coat in Orlando. I have a Keltec Sub 2000 9mm carbine that I carry in my bried case.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My Glock 19 is my main carry. I find that it is quite comfortable riding AIWB in a Fricke Archangel. If I feel I need deeper concealment, my S&W 642 rides either at AIWB or in my pocket, though I much prefer AIWB. I have found that this is as small as I need to go to meet my needs.

I like the P32...have one, and a P3AT. Wouldn't want to get shot a bunch of times with either!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

...I'd cook in a trench coat in Orlando... I have a Keltec Sub 2000 9mm carbine that I carry in my bried case.
    Jeez! You honestly think you could defend the whole mall against an invading hoard of AK47-armed Iranians or space aliens with a wimpy little 9mm carbine??? The heat is no excuse:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    If carrying comfort has a higher priority than having the ability to save your life sometime, more power to you
    Don't be a weenie - Suck it up, wear the trenchcoat, deal with the heat, and pack an M134 Minigun under it.

Regards,
    Jim

Jeez! You honestly think you could defend the whole mall against an invading hoard of AK47-armed Iranians or space aliens with a wimpy little 9mm carbine??? The heat is no excuse:

Don't be a weenie - Suck it up, wear the trenchcoat, deal with the heat, and pack an M134 Minigun under it.

Regards,
    Jim
    Ever shot a Sub2000? I'll take it over a .380 ten times out of nine. Whether or not you feel "outgunned" or not by your .380 is so completely meaningless. Your superior marksmanship will ultimately rule the day.

Regards,
    Jim
    Sub 2000 can hold its own....I carry Corbon 115 gr +P that are 1350fps out of a 4" Glock 19....and really rock out of a carbine barrel. Mine is a Smith & Wesson 59 Series mag compatibility model, and I keep 8 15 round mags in the brief case. Its a great choice for us Urban Commandos that have a long commute to the office.

Within 100 yards, the trajectory is almost flat, deviating less than two inches from the line of sight. At close range with +p ammunition, the 9mm SUB-2000 has the energy of a .357 magnum. At 200 yards the 9mm bullet still carries more energy than a .380 bullet has at muzzle velocity. However, the bullet from the SUB-2000 will drop 18 inches in 200 yards, and wind deflection may be considerable. Kel-Tec recommends the use of premium hollow-point ammo of US manufacture of medium bullet weight.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    We are the last to let you down....
    Your avatar rules.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links