32 ACP weapon

This is a discussion on 32 ACP weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FWIW, per Beartoothbullets.com calculator, the sectional density of a 71g/.312 bullet is 0.104. A 95g/.356 is 0.107. With vels running roughly 900 in both cases, ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 32 ACP weapon

FWIW, per Beartoothbullets.com calculator, the sectional density of a 71g/.312 bullet is 0.104. A 95g/.356 is 0.107. With vels running roughly 900 in both cases, and ball ammo providing a similar meplat profile, I imagine the penetration of both calibers/loads would be very similar. Free recoil in a 24oz. gun would be 1ft/lb and 7 fps in the .32, 2/9 in the .380 (i.e. something like the old-school Colt auto I'm smitten with in post #110).

I realize many more statistical measures could be considered--perhaps better ones--but I personally believe that FMJ ammo in these two calibers would be very, very similar in wound channel, penetration, and effectiveness.

Of course, once you introduce the additional variables associated with expanding bullets, the crystal ball gets ever cloudier. Does it expand? How much? Penetrate? Too shallow, or just right? Drill through a bone, or slide around it?

Although opinions vary wildly on what makes bullets effective for SD, we probably can all agree that all of the above variables, plus the infinity of variables associated with the target itself, mean that bigger, more powerful rounds can "solve more SD crisis equations" than smaller, less-powerful ones. Nonetheless, there are many such "equations" that .32 FMJ rounds (.380, too) have solved over the past century, and can still solve. On average, a .32 ACP guy is assuming more "ballistic" risk than a .45 ACP guy, for sure, but having the smaller gun on you, vs. the .45 left in the car, starts to even those odds. Ditto for those of us who might be a wizard at shooting fast & straight with a .32, but only mediocre with a .45; the odds forever change, and change some more.

And although I fully realize that the gold standard of SD is the immediate incapacitation of the BG, I would argue that enough silver or even copper can pay the bills, too. To me, to have the BG stagger, drop his gun & start pleading for medical aid is a thoroughly successful result, NOT a miserable "failure to stop." Same if he turns and bolts like a scalded cat at the sight of your gun. If I'm ever faced with such problems, I'll settle for a "W" w/o style points.

The topic fascinates me (& gazillions of others) as a mongoose does a snake, but the reality is that most sidearms will successfully solve most SD situations, at least by my standards. Certainly, none are a guarantee of success if you are unlucky enough to come up against a tough, mean, and determined guy who has concluded that your destruction is his sole remaining purpose in life.

Some of Wild Bill Hickok's opponents were mean drunks and vicious, sociopathic killers who would chew up & spit out today's garden-variety violent criminal, and his chosen SD/carry combo was a brace of Navy .36's loaded with 5 (maybe six) round lead balls apiece. IIRC, each ball weighed about 71g and had a vel of about 900 fps, didn't they? Sounds familiar in the context of this thread. And a LEO celebrity like Bill certainly had his choice of .44's, .45's and Lord knows what else, yet he chose a lighter weapon famous for its balance, feel, handiness, and accuracy & rapidity of fire in his practiced hands. He also notably paid meticulous attention to careful maintenance--his guns always went bang, like our OP's, whereas many of that era went snap in a crisis.

I know I'm a history addict, but I find it impossible to scoff at Hickok's reasoning in such matters! OP, I think you stand in some pretty impressive company :-)

Stay safe, all.
    CAS_Shooter likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I love my Seecamp .32. It is utilized when my more stout pistols are not cooperating with my clothing.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I got to a point where I was using my KelTec P32 as my main carry because of the type of clothes Ive been wearing here in AZ. I do trust it to go bang when I pull the trigger but I do think it's a little less gun than I should be trusting my life to. Bought a Ruger SR9c so my p32 will be going back to BUG duty as soon as I get a good holster for the 9mm
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

It all depends where the bullet ends up. I've seen three cases where individuals were hit with a 32acp and went right down. Two of them were firing SKSs at the time. I also remember when I was in the military (early 60s) a guy named Couch was hit square in the chest with a 45FMJ. He was back to duty in 30 days. Needless to say they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing at the time. My thoughts are to get something you can hit with over and over and you SHOULD be ok. I carried a 38 for years and years and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post
    I recently acquired, and endorse, the ultra-compact Seecamp LWS 32, but expect to only very rarely, if ever, carry it as primary. You MUST follow Seecamp's ammunition recommendations, however. The LAST round in a magazine frequently stovepipes (about 1 in 3 times), but that is not an issue for me. It actually aids in reloading when it happens, as the slide, by design, does not lock open when empty. Otherwise it has tested 100% reliable for me. It has no sights. I would prefer it had simple low profile sights, as it groups very well, but that's not an option.

There is a nearly identical .380 version costing about $800 versus the .32's $475 (+/-)
    The .32 Seecamp is rare enough, and the .380 is made of "Unobtainium"!
    Even in .32, the Seecamp is quite a handful (or should I say, "Fingerful). The .380's felt recoil must be brutal!
    The Seecamps are much more compact, and far more solidly constructed than the much larger Beretta Tomcat. The .32 Tomcat is even larger than the pictured .25 Beretta M20.

Attachment 57379
    click to enlarge

From top:
    Seecamp LWS-32 .32 ACP
    Walther TPH .22lr
    Beretta M20 .25 ACP

I have given up, for now, my search for a reliable .380/9mm/.40 smaller than my EDC Glock 27. (Two Kahr P380's and a PM9's reliability was abysmal. A 9mm Beretta Nano was better, but ultimately unacceptable -- YMMV). Trusted, qualified friends report no better results with other compact Semiautos. My "Old Reliable" snubbie .38's will have to partially fill the wide, yawning gap between the Glock 27 and the Seecamp .32 for the forseeable future.
    I have carried a P-32 for about 4 years. Every time I buy a $1,000, or so, pocket gun, the P-32 ends up out of the safe and back in my pocket in about a week. Last summer, I finally found a new Seacamp LWS .32 at a great price. Carried it a couple of months and after barely shooting a full magazine of 32 Buffalo Bore75 grn hard cast through it (it really hurt) I went back to the P-32. The P-32 hardly noticed the "hot" BB ammo. I believe it is because it is a Browning design break action instead of blow back. I also noticed this very sharp recoil with Hornady .32 ACP ammo. Again, in the KelTec, is was very comfortable. Trooper Joe

I sold my P32 a few years ago and regret it. That thing was perfect for quick runs to the store or taking out the trash. It was actually pleasant to shoot and never had any trouble.

North Carolina (The Eagle is from Alaska)
    Since this thread has been resurrected from last year....

FWIW, I have since replaced my Seecamp LWS 32 with an LWS 380, (Which is just as painful to shoot!), but unlike my two late and unlamented Kahr P380's (my original and a Kahr-provided replacement) the Seecamp is reliable.

Nonetheless, I almost never carry less than a Glock 27, even in summer heat.

ExGM (formerly Glockwatcher)

The 32 Seecamp is bearable with Speer Gold Dots. The KelTec is a 5 pd, striker fired, polymer gun, with no safety. $320 versus $440. I emailed KelTec on ammo and they said the $40 a box Silvertips are their choice.

So I carry a Seecamp (Rolex quality), I have the option of repeated 12 pd trigger pulls (light primer strikes), and when I come home, and drop the mag, the gun locks up. Quality and safety wise, the Seecamp wins. But if you are a qualified shooter, and your Kel-Tec is dependable, it's a good option. Dependability is always the key

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    The 32 Seecamp is bearable with Speer Gold Dots. The KelTec is a 5 pd, striker fired, polymer gun, with no safety. $320 versus $440. I emailed KelTec on ammo and they said the $40 a box Silvertips are their choice.

So I carry a Seecamp (Rolex quality), I have the option of repeated 12 pd trigger pulls (light primer strikes), and when I come home, and drop the mag, the gun locks up. Quality and safety wise, the Seecamp wins. But if you are a qualified shooter, and your Kel-Tec is dependable, it's a good option. Dependability is always the key
    Interesting comments. The Speer Gold Dot is what I ended up carrying in my Seacamp when I carry it.

As far as carrying Silvertips in a Kel Tec P-32, you have to be careful of “Rimlock”without their spacer kit or a “fire wire”.

Until I installed the KelTec spacer kit in two of my P-32 magazines, I carried a Silvertip in the chamber and the top round of the magazine. The rest were FMJ ball ammo(something hot like Sell. And Belliot).

Recognizing this “rim lock” problem, Seacamp designs their magazines (and actually their entire LWS 32 pistol) to use only Silvertip ammo (originally). However, recently, they recommend a number of HP defensive ammo loadings as long as they do not exceed.091/I think), in overall length.

I agree, the Seacamp is a work of art and has not failed me with any ammo I feed it. It is however, a blow back design and not as comfortable to shoot as the P-32.

Trooper Joe

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    For two winters I carried a Walther PP in 7,65mm in certain awkward situations. Now for those same awkward situations I carry the Kel-Tec P-3AT. I carry Sellier & Bellot FMJ in the Walther, and Fiocchi in the Kel-Tec.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Have carried a Keltec 32 for about 6 years now, front pocket..wouldn't have it any other way!

I have a number of pocket pistols but find myself carrying my Keltec P32 the most. It is very comfortable in my front pocket, I am more accurate with it, it has never jammed on me, and has one more round than my LCP.

This thread has been here for a bit. But I want to tell everyone that scoffs at small caliber weapons. They can kill. In a violent attack bigger is better. But my wife of 29 years in July committed suicide with my p-32 with cor-bon hollow points. So what Im saying is carry the biggest you can shoot good. But at least have something. And small calibers are effective. ALL GUNS WILL KILL!!!!!. Stay safe everyone.

Though I have handguns ranging from 22 lr, up to 45Colt and 45 acp, I often choose to carry my Walther PPK/S in 32 acp just because the recoil is easier on my arthritic wrist. In this caliber however, I highly advise a FMJ round for both reliability and penetration. The choice of the Walther in this caliber is due to the size and weight. It's not a tiny weapon, but this just makes it easier to get a good grip on. Some of the smaller weapons in any caliber, just don't give the average person much to grab hold of. YMMV
    Unkei
    dangerranger likes this.
    "Life is a school. Study hard. The final exam is comprehensive and counts for 100 percent of your final grade."

Unkei

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Links