40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

This is a discussion on 40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry both. My Sigma .40 is more comfortable than my M 17. My LC9 is more comfortable than my PT-140. Depends on the day ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

I carry both. My Sigma .40 is more comfortable than my M 17. My LC9 is more comfortable than my PT-140. Depends on the day and what suits me best. I would carry my Super Blackhawk .44 mag if it would fit under a t shirt. But I live in the Texas panahandle. If I lived in Detroit or Chicago I would find a Supertuck for the MAK 90 or the SKS!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Berreta PX4 SC .40 that is heavy but I carry in the winter with all the extra clothing no prob. I have a CM9 and a LCP for the warmer months and have no problems with any of the calibers at all. Shot placement is the key to me. I agree that I shoot the less expensive 9mm more often and more comfortable with it because of that.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    I heard the question posed once to a survival guy. IF he had one handgun to go through civil unrest, etc with he'd choose the 9mm because the ammo is literally everywhere. Try finding .40 s&w in ample supply when the shtf.
    In my area, during the stupid Obama ammo hoarding frenzy (right after he was elected), the only good defensive ammo available anywhere was 357 Sig and .40 S&W. 9mm and .45 were completely out of stock for weeks at a time.
    I prefer 9mm and 45, but recently picked up a Glock 23 and a 357 Sig barrel, in case the tin foil hat group flips their lids again when Obama gets re-elected due to the GOP's inability to field a candidate who isn't pathetic.

One nice thing about the Glock .40 pistols is the aftermarket availability of 9mm and 357 Sig barrels, so having at least one .40 Glock in my safe makes sense to me, even if I don't shoot it much.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I previously owned a Ruger in a 9mm. I loved it. You can easily tame the recoil and its not expensive to shoot. The .40 on the other hand.. boy does it get pricey. I don't know how guys can afford to shoot any bigger. Wife hates it when I go shooting because its soo pricey. LOL.

I moved on to a Glock 23. I love it! I wanted to get another 9mm.. but for the same price of the G19, I could get the G23.. so why not? :) Never turned back.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

I carry both with an equal amount of confidence that they will get the job done.
    Old School likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

9mm, .357SIG, .40SW, 45acp......all will do the job with the right ammo. I carry all of them with confidence.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

If I lived in a perfect world and all ammo was free, I would'nt own a 9mm. I have no problem controlling .40S&W, thats what I learned to shoot on, and practice with so thats what I stick with when I carry. Don't really see how someone can say .40 is a pointless round, just be glad we have variety.
    Glockwatcher likes this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

I've only been into handguns for a little over a year, so I haven't even had the chance to shoot anything other than 9mm and .38 special. However, just based on availability here, I would stay with 9mm because it seems like .40 ammo is really hard to find sometimes. And I'm really accurate and comfortable with 9mm at this point.

I carry my Glock 23 in the winter. I figure the heavier clothing would benefit with a heavier penetration. I carry my Glock 19 in the warmer months. The one not being carried pulls nightstand duty. Because the two Glocks have the same frame, all my holsters fit both. The carry weights are about the same (give or take a few ounces).

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I carry both with an equal amount of confidence that they will get the job done.
    This sums it up for me.

124 gr. Gold Dots in 9mm and 165 gr. Gold Dots in .40 S&W.

Regards,

OS
    DRM likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I carry both. (not at the same time)

I have only one carry weapon and it is a Glock 23 (.40 cal). I love the gun and it shoots well for me. I was ignorant about caliber vs caliber when I was in the market so I consulted my uncle that has shot and collected guns all of his life and is a reserve LEO. Once he knew that I was looking for a weapon for personal defense, he steered me to the .40 cal S&W due to the feedback from LEO's on the streets. Also considered was one of the conclusions from the 1986 FBI Miami shootout where 2 agents were killed despite outnumbering the bad guys 4:1. It took a combined 18 hits from the FBI's 9mm's, .38 specials and 12 ga shotguns to silence the bad guys guns. The FBI concluded that the 9mm was not as effective as they would like which led to them going to the 10mm but the 10mm was too much of a beast for agents to control so S&W developed the .40 cal.

I know this is a topic of debate by passionate shooters. Just answering the OP's question, not trying to convince anyone!
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    I mixed them together, .355 inch 125 grain bullet sitting in a .40 size case:) I do carry .40 S&W on occasion but no 9mm luger.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    Yep, me too. .357sig is what I carry instead of 9mm and .40.

Back on topic though. I would carry the .40 before 9mm for self defense because it just puts a bigger hole in things.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I'm easy as I shoot .40S&W as that's all I have!!! I'm using my son's LCP till Spring and then I'll get a 9mm or .380 for pocket carry!! You can kill with a .22 but WHY??????
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

I carry 9mm because if I want to carry a .40 caliber bullet, I carry 10mm rather than carry the watered down version.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links