40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

This is a discussion on 40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gottabkiddin Personally I prefer the 9mm over the .40. IMO, if the shot is well placed, there's really not a dimes worth ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Personally I prefer the 9mm over the .40. IMO, if the shot is well placed, there's really not a dimes worth of difference in stopping power. Some will argue the contrary, but 12" is 12" is 12". If your round can penetrate to that depth and expand as expected consistently, then I'll take the extra round or two offered by most 9mm over the additional ump and minuscule larger OD of the .40 round. JMO YMMV

Bottom line, carry what makes you feel the most confident. A confident marksmen is a deadly marksmen.
    I agree. I prefer 9mm myself. The 9mm is less likely to be over pressured and will put less stress on the gun. Obviously higher capacity has been mentioned which is important to note and so is the cost of practice ammo and carry ammo. Not to mention in general 9mm guns are less likely to wear out over time and will lasst longer. Not to mention many .40 S&W guns were designed as 9mm guns but then redesigned as .40 S&W guns to offer more models and compete for contracts.

And most importantly there is not mice difference between the .40 S&W and the 9mm when it comes to stopping power and penetration. For all practical purposes handgun ammo is the same and you are better off with a longgun of some sort.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    When using quality JHP ammunition the terminal ballistics are near identical, given equal performance the 9mm gains advantage due to higher magazine capacity.

I carry .45 acp or 9x19mm dependent on circumstance, I own no .40 cal.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

9mm! I own 5 of them. I don't own any .40. Why? Because the .40 has too much recoil, and it cost more to shoot. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot, easier to shoot, and can do the job just as well as the .40 can. Remember, shot placement is king.
    Toorop likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance as I may have been too young remember, but in the 1986 shootout, were any of the BG's wearing body armor ??? If so not even a 10mm would penetrate that. Please correct me if I am wrong. God Bless
    No body armor for the bad guys and the good guys were not wearing there's either unfortunately.

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The 40.

Yours In Liberty
    Bob, NRA Life
    Sent from my iGlock

I carry .40, only because I shoot that particular gun (XD40sc) very well and it is sub compact and easy to carry. I shoot it better than my small 9mm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    I mixed them together, .355 inch 125 grain bullet sitting in a .40 size case:) I do carry .40 S&W on occasion but no 9mm luger.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    ^^^A wisenheimer Eh??^^^^^^^^^^

9mm, cause .40 is no good.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

it took about 10 seconds for this to become another ridiculous thread filled with the same old "facts" and "data" people find, misunderstand, mis-interpret, or fabricate to make themselves feel better about a decision they've already made.

just carry something you shoot well and be happy with it.

[huge terminal ballistics yawn]
    Alarm Guy likes this.

Does anyone have any info/data on 9mm vs .40 when it comes to penetration of hard objects like car doors, wall studs, etc...

I can think of many scenarios when I would want greater penetration of hard objects, for instance a car jacking. Then again, many scenarios when I would not want to penetrate them... like shooting a home invader with other loved ones inside the house.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    Does anyone have any info/data on 9mm vs .40 when it comes to penetration of hard objects like car doors, wall studs, etc...

I can think of many scenarios when I would want greater penetration of hard objects, for instance a car jacking. Then again, many scenarios when I would not want to penetrate them... like shooting a home invader with other loved ones inside the house.
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    RonCo likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Of the two, the wife carries G27 .40cal.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

This brings up a question I have----about how many shots at close range would it take to bust out a car window with a 9mm?

Tkruf echoed my thoughts exactly. 9mm

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    This brings up a question I have----about how many shots at close range would it take to bust out a car window with a 9mm?
    Which window? Side windows shatter when you knock on them with a class ring...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

9mm Luger: European popgun round thatís only popular because the ammo is cheap for a center fire cartridge. Cheap ammo is a good thing for 9mm aficionados, because anything bigger and more dangerous than a cranky raccoon will likely require multiple well-placed hits. Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people donít carry guns and cops donít have to actually shoot people with theirs.

.40S&W: Neutered compromise version of a compromise cartridge (10mm). Even more setback-happy than the .45ACP, and setbacks are much more dangerous because of higher pressure and smaller case volume. Manages to sacrifice both the capacity of the 9mm and the bullet diameter of the .45. Twice the recoil of the 9mm for 10% more muzzle energy.

Unless you mean the 9mm Kurtz, then:
    9mm Kurz: Designed by people who thought the 9mm Luger was a bit too brisk and snappy, which is pretty much all that needs to be said here. Great round if you expect to only ever be attacked by people less than seven inches thick from front to back.

It's all good, I carry the .40S&W, but have nothing against a 9mm, I even own one in case a cranky raccoon comes around . It really comes down to personal preference, to each his own, every post here is a IMHO type post, whether they state it or not. Either caliber will do the job if you do yours, it is as simple as that, so it truly does come down to what feels good in your hand and which do you shoot well.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links