40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry - Page 5

40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

This is a discussion on 40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is so much press about knock-down and one-shot stopping power but the reality is, if the SHTF I certainly do not plan on shooting ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

What do you shoot better?

There is so much press about knock-down and one-shot stopping power but the reality is, if the SHTF I certainly do not plan on shooting just one round! 2-9mm beat 1-.40 or 1-.45 any day!

With that said, I carry both (and a .45 or .380 depending on the conditions) and never feel under gunned.

Carry what you can shoot well and ignore what all the "armchair experts" tell you is best.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    This brings up a question I have----about how many shots at close range would it take to bust out a car window with a 9mm?
    If you asking about a side window the answer is ONE!

If we're talking about a windshield...I personally have put over 30 rounds in a windshield and although the hole gets bigger you are hard pressed to "bust out" a windshield, even with slugs!
    DRM likes this.

9mm

Distinguished Member
    Me, I carry 9mm right now, but when I get a chance to get to the range to test out my new M&P 45, and if it passes muster, and I get a holster for it, I will be carrying that one most of the time and my PF9 will become my alternate for situations when the full size .45 is just too big to conceal. But then again, if I can hit things better with my 9mm over my .45 then I will likely stay with my 9mm. Better to be able to hit what you are firing at than to have a bigger caliber and not be able to hit the broad side of a barn.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Sponsor

Lightbulb

FWIW: I used to shoot with Evan Marshall back when he was a Sgt. on the Detroit Police Department. That was back in the mid 1970's when Detroit was the "Murder Capital of the World"...

He is a very kind, gentle, unassuming man who knows far more about actual shootings from first hand experience than most of the experts around today. I was disappointed when the FBI dissed his findings.

IMHO, what is missing from much of the data collected today is the actual shot placement of the round or rounds fired.

BOTTOM LINE: It all comes down to shot placement, shot placement and shot placement...Did I mention shot placement?
    oneshot likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Me, I carry 9mm right now,
    I should qualify that statement. I carry while at home. Still waiting for my license to come (should be within a month and possibly within a week or two).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    buy a lone wollf conversion barrel for your g23 99 at cheaper than dirt and you can shoot cheap again
    Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    I previously owned a Ruger in a 9mm. I loved it. You can easily tame the recoil and its not expensive to shoot. The .40 on the other hand.. boy does it get pricey. I don't know how guys can afford to shoot any bigger. Wife hates it when I go shooting because its soo pricey. LOL.

I moved on to a Glock 23. I love it! I wanted to get another 9mm.. but for the same price of the G19, I could get the G23.. so why not? :) Never turned back.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    my edc is a G23 but I carry a 9mm and also .380 depends on where i'm going and what I'm wearing I choose a gun that matches place and clothes
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I carry .40 in my SA XD40 SC.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

45 ACP all the way.....

Both, because both make decent sized holes and I can shoot well with both... and I enjoy shooting both.

A lot of people prefer the 9 (lots of them very verbose and insecure when other calibers are recommended). A lot of people prefer the 40. Some even prefer a 22lr.

Carry what you're confident and proficient with.

I don't get wrapped around the caliber axle too much. I choose whatever gun I feel like. XDm, M&P, SIGs, 1911, j frame, whatever. What they are chambered for is incidental to me. I trust them all to do the job. I will fail before a bullet of any given cartridge will.
    DRM likes this.

My primary carry gun is a Glock 27 (40 S&W), though I would feel fine with a 9mm, 45 ACP or 357 SIG. They all seem to do well with the right load and bullet placement. If I had to choose a single auto cartridge, it would be the 10mm. It offers the best possibilities. But, I compromised and went with a 40. I do not let the Coke or Pepsi logic cloud my opinion. All can do wee and all can fail.

Either a 9mm or a 45ACP....never warmed to the 40 myself.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

When I say knock down I am not referring to actually knocking someone down I am referring to the fact that the 40 is a heavier bullet and thus it hits the target with a harder impact. If you shoot a dueling tree the 9mm barely flips the plate the the other side and the 40 flips it a lot harder and faster

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links