40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

This is a discussion on 40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the 40s&w vs the 9mm. Which one you prefer to carry and why. I ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

Hi everyone. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the 40s&w vs the 9mm. Which one you prefer to carry and why. I carry a 40 because I like the extra knock down power vs the 9mm and just like the way that a 40 feels when fired. I love the 9mm and have a T series Browning Hi Power and have always loved it, but I think that with the extra knock down power with only having to give up a couple rounds if any make the 40 a better choice for me.

2. Remove Ads

I mixed them together, .355 inch 125 grain bullet sitting in a .40 size case:) I do carry .40 S&W on occasion but no 9mm luger.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    They're both great rounds. My PM40 backs up my 45. My R9 backs up my 40. In general, the more recoil you feel, the more effect you can have, as long as you have good control and placement.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

either/or. both will do the job. some people can not shoot the 40 good and the 9mm works better for them. i feel a new shooter should start with the 9mm and work up to bigger cals when they are ready.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Knock down power is a myth. If a bullet had the power to knock a bad guy down then it would knock you down when you shot it. It's simple physics.

I have seen a video where a guy in a BP vest stands on one leg and takes three shots from a .308 to the vest and it doesn't knock him down. Maybe someone can come up with a link.

Bad guys get stopped by shock, trauma and blood loss. The more hits COM the better.

I shoot 9mm because I'm faster with it than with .40.

ETA link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd9-hreCYz8

Once you watch this video the words stopping power or knock down power will never come out of your mouth again.

The rifle is a 7.62X51 at a distance of about two feet.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 12th, 2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    While I carry and have confidence in both of those calibers, my primary carry choice is .45ACP.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

9mm, I see no reason to carry 40, if I wanted bigger than I would shoot 45.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Maybe someone can come up with a link.

Bad guys get stopped by shock, trauma and blood loss. The more hits COM the better.

Yes, try this link:

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

I use 9mm (Ruger SR9c) for carry. Mainly because 9mm ammo is cheaper and I can therefore afford to send more of it downrange at the range and be more proficient at hitting my target.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I heard the question posed once to a survival guy. IF he had one handgun to go through civil unrest, etc with he'd choose the 9mm because the ammo is literally everywhere. Try finding .40 s&w in ample supply when the shtf.
    helderberg and deadsexy like this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I agree that knock down power is a myth. Another example would be when shooting at steel plates or targets, if knock down power is *real*, then the 350+ pound of energy from a <INSERT YOUR FAVORITE CALIBER HERE> going hundreds of feet per/sec would slam the target on the ground instead of it just slowly knocking it over. Again just my opinion and observation as I am not a physics professor nor do I play one on TV. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Knock down power is a myth. If a bullet had the power to knock a bad guy down then it would knock you down when you shot it. It's simple physics.

I have seen a video where a guy in a BP vest stands on one leg and takes three shots from a .308 to the vest and it doesn't know him down. Maybe someone can come up with a link.

VIP Member
    The 9mm will do everything needed to do in my world.

I have owned dozens of .40 cals and there is no real advantage to me. Hits on target are what count.

Let the debate begin. LOL
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I carry .40, but I agree that hits on target count... I would carry a 9mm with complete confidence in the caliber.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I've had a couple of 40s and eventually got rid of them and went back to the 9. I will go with a 9 or a 45, but the 40 is just too snappy for me.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Personally I prefer the 9mm over the .40. IMO, if the shot is well placed, there's really not a dimes worth of difference in stopping power. Some will argue the contrary, but 12" is 12" is 12". If your round can penetrate to that depth and expand as expected consistently, then I'll take the extra round or two offered by most 9mm over the additional ump and minuscule larger OD of the .40 round. JMO YMMV

Bottom line, carry what makes you feel the most confident. A confident marksmen is a deadly marksmen.
    DRM and Toorop like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

How about throwing the .357Sig into the mix? Available in most of the guns that the .40S&W are or by a barrel change.

Ballistics are same as a 125gr .357Magnum out of a 4" barrel.

Here's a link I found interesting for all calibers: Stopping Power

I think anything that does better than 90% is good enough.

I wonder what .40S&W loadings most like to use. I did pick up some .40S&W 155gr and 165gr JHP if I felt like switching out barrels. Greater energy ballistics with the 155gr loadings.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links