Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

40s&w vs 9mm which do you carry

22K views 110 replies 91 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the 40s&w vs the 9mm. Which one you prefer to carry and why. I carry a 40 because I like the extra knock down power vs the 9mm and just like the way that a 40 feels when fired. I love the 9mm and have a T series Browning Hi Power and have always loved it, but I think that with the extra knock down power with only having to give up a couple rounds if any make the 40 a better choice for me.

#28 ·
Yep, me too. .357sig is what I carry instead of 9mm and .40.

Back on topic though. I would carry the .40 before 9mm for self defense because it just puts a bigger hole in things.

#3 ·
They're both great rounds. My PM40 backs up my 45. My R9 backs up my 40. In general, the more recoil you feel, the more effect you can have, as long as you have good control and placement.

#4 ·
either/or. both will do the job. some people can not shoot the 40 good and the 9mm works better for them. i feel a new shooter should start with the 9mm and work up to bigger cals when they are ready.

#5 · (Edited)
Knock down power is a myth. If a bullet had the power to knock a bad guy down then it would knock you down when you shot it. It's simple physics.

I have seen a video where a guy in a BP vest stands on one leg and takes three shots from a .308 to the vest and it doesn't knock him down. Maybe someone can come up with a link.

Bad guys get stopped by shock, trauma and blood loss. The more hits COM the better.

I shoot 9mm because I'm faster with it than with .40.

ETA link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd9-hreCYz8

Once you watch this video the words stopping power or knock down power will never come out of your mouth again.

The rifle is a 7.62X51 at a distance of about two feet.

#8 ·
Maybe someone can come up with a link.

Bad guys get stopped by shock, trauma and blood loss. The more hits COM the better.

I shoot 9mm because I'm faster with it than with .40.
Yes, try this link:

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

I use 9mm (Ruger SR9c) for carry. Mainly because 9mm ammo is cheaper and I can therefore afford to send more of it downrange at the range and be more proficient at hitting my target.

#9 ·
I heard the question posed once to a survival guy. IF he had one handgun to go through civil unrest, etc with he'd choose the 9mm because the ammo is literally everywhere. Try finding .40 s&w in ample supply when the shtf.

#18 ·
In my area, during the stupid Obama ammo hoarding frenzy (right after he was elected), the only good defensive ammo available anywhere was 357 Sig and .40 S&W. 9mm and .45 were completely out of stock for weeks at a time.
I prefer 9mm and 45, but recently picked up a Glock 23 and a 357 Sig barrel, in case the tin foil hat group flips their lids again when Obama gets re-elected due to the GOP's inability to field a candidate who isn't pathetic.

One nice thing about the Glock .40 pistols is the aftermarket availability of 9mm and 357 Sig barrels, so having at least one .40 Glock in my safe makes sense to me, even if I don't shoot it much.

#11 ·
The 9mm will do everything needed to do in my world.

I have owned dozens of .40 cals and there is no real advantage to me. Hits on target are what count.

Let the debate begin. LOL

#38 ·
What debate? Both are recognized effective rounds. The only advantage my .40's have is they fit my hand better, I shoot them better, and they hold more, but I also own several 9's too.

#13 ·
I've had a couple of 40s and eventually got rid of them and went back to the 9. I will go with a 9 or a 45, but the 40 is just too snappy for me.

#14 ·
Personally I prefer the 9mm over the .40. IMO, if the shot is well placed, there's really not a dimes worth of difference in stopping power. Some will argue the contrary, but 12" is 12" is 12". If your round can penetrate to that depth and expand as expected consistently, then I'll take the extra round or two offered by most 9mm over the additional ump and minuscule larger OD of the .40 round. JMO YMMV

Bottom line, carry what makes you feel the most confident. A confident marksmen is a deadly marksmen. :wink:

Reactions: Toorop and DRM
#46 ·
I agree. I prefer 9mm myself. The 9mm is less likely to be over pressured and will put less stress on the gun. Obviously higher capacity has been mentioned which is important to note and so is the cost of practice ammo and carry ammo. Not to mention in general 9mm guns are less likely to wear out over time and will lasst longer. Not to mention many .40 S&W guns were designed as 9mm guns but then redesigned as .40 S&W guns to offer more models and compete for contracts.

And most importantly there is not mice difference between the .40 S&W and the 9mm when it comes to stopping power and penetration. For all practical purposes handgun ammo is the same and you are better off with a longgun of some sort.

#15 ·
How about throwing the .357Sig into the mix? Available in most of the guns that the .40S&W are or by a barrel change.

Ballistics are same as a 125gr .357Magnum out of a 4" barrel.

Here's a link I found interesting for all calibers: Stopping Power

I think anything that does better than 90% is good enough.

I wonder what .40S&W loadings most like to use. I did pick up some .40S&W 155gr and 165gr JHP if I felt like switching out barrels. Greater energy ballistics with the 155gr loadings.

#16 ·
I carry both. My Sigma .40 is more comfortable than my M 17. My LC9 is more comfortable than my PT-140. Depends on the day and what suits me best. I would carry my Super Blackhawk .44 mag if it would fit under a t shirt. But I live in the Texas panahandle. If I lived in Detroit or Chicago I would find a Supertuck for the MAK 90 or the SKS!

#44 ·
If I lived in Detroit or Chicago I would find a Supertuck for the MAK 90 or the SKS!
If you lived in Chicago, you wouldn't be (legally) carrying. And if you lived in Detroit, why would you carry anything differently than what you carry in TX? Seems to me that you should carry whatever you're most comfortable carrying and shoot the best with, whether you're in a ghetto/neighborhood in Detroit or in the exclusive suburb of Houston where Kwame Kilpatrick lives.

#17 ·
I have a Berreta PX4 SC .40 that is heavy but I carry in the winter with all the extra clothing no prob. I have a CM9 and a LCP for the warmer months and have no problems with any of the calibers at all. Shot placement is the key to me. I agree that I shoot the less expensive 9mm more often and more comfortable with it because of that. :image035:

#19 ·
I previously owned a Ruger in a 9mm. I loved it. You can easily tame the recoil and its not expensive to shoot. The .40 on the other hand.. boy does it get pricey. I don't know how guys can afford to shoot any bigger. Wife hates it when I go shooting because its soo pricey. LOL.

I moved on to a Glock 23. I love it! I wanted to get another 9mm.. but for the same price of the G19, I could get the G23.. so why not? :) Never turned back.

#20 ·
I carry both with an equal amount of confidence that they will get the job done.

Reactions: Old School
#22 ·
If I lived in a perfect world and all ammo was free, I would'nt own a 9mm. I have no problem controlling .40S&W, thats what I learned to shoot on, and practice with so thats what I stick with when I carry. Don't really see how someone can say .40 is a pointless round, just be glad we have variety.

#23 ·
I've only been into handguns for a little over a year, so I haven't even had the chance to shoot anything other than 9mm and .38 special. However, just based on availability here, I would stay with 9mm because it seems like .40 ammo is really hard to find sometimes. And I'm really accurate and comfortable with 9mm at this point.

#24 ·
I carry my Glock 23 in the winter. I figure the heavier clothing would benefit with a heavier penetration. I carry my Glock 19 in the warmer months. The one not being carried pulls nightstand duty. Because the two Glocks have the same frame, all my holsters fit both. The carry weights are about the same (give or take a few ounces).

#27 ·
I have only one carry weapon and it is a Glock 23 (.40 cal). I love the gun and it shoots well for me. I was ignorant about caliber vs caliber when I was in the market so I consulted my uncle that has shot and collected guns all of his life and is a reserve LEO. Once he knew that I was looking for a weapon for personal defense, he steered me to the .40 cal S&W due to the feedback from LEO's on the streets. Also considered was one of the conclusions from the 1986 FBI Miami shootout where 2 agents were killed despite outnumbering the bad guys 4:1. It took a combined 18 hits from the FBI's 9mm's, .38 specials and 12 ga shotguns to silence the bad guys guns. The FBI concluded that the 9mm was not as effective as they would like which led to them going to the 10mm but the 10mm was too much of a beast for agents to control so S&W developed the .40 cal.

I know this is a topic of debate by passionate shooters. Just answering the OP's question, not trying to convince anyone!

#29 ·
I'm easy as I shoot .40S&W as that's all I have!!! I'm using my son's LCP till Spring and then I'll get a 9mm or .380 for pocket carry!! You can kill with a .22 but WHY?????? :duel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.