New Kahr PM9 Interesting Issue

This is a discussion on New Kahr PM9 Interesting Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. This is my first post here. While I'm not a newbie to guns in general, I have never owned a small pistol for ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thunder71
  • 1 Post By SigHawk

Thread: New Kahr PM9 Interesting Issue

New Kahr PM9 Interesting Issue

Hello all. This is my first post here. While I'm not a newbie to guns in general, I have never owned a small pistol for Conceal Carry. Over the weekend I bought a new Kahr PM9, and took it to the range yesterday. I have read about the "break-in period" with this gun. Anyway, I fired off 100 rds of Federal 115 gr FMJ with only one failure to feed, with my buddy shooting the gun. The interesting issue is, with every mag (using the 6 and 7 round Kahr mags that came with the gun, fully loaded) the first shot was about 1 foot low and left. The remainder of the mag, a fairly tight grouping. This was at about 5 yds. At first I assumed that the problem was me, but it was repeatable, with every mag. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this part of the "break-in", and will improve with time, or do I have a bigger issue? Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Remove Ads

No issue, other than getting used to the trigger. I bet if you put it in a shooting vice it wouldn't do that.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrOtis View Post
    Hello all. This is my first post here. While I'm not a newbie to guns in general, I have never owned a small pistol for Conceal Carry. Over the weekend I bought a new Kahr PM9, and took it to the range yesterday. I have read about the "break-in period" with this gun. Anyway, I fired off 100 rds of Federal 115 gr FMJ with only one failure to feed, with my buddy shooting the gun. The interesting issue is, with every mag (using the 6 and 7 round Kahr mags that came with the gun, fully loaded) the first shot was about 1 foot low and left. The remainder of the mag, a fairly tight grouping. This was at about 5 yds. At first I assumed that the problem was me, but it was repeatable, with every mag. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this part of the "break-in", and will improve with time, or do I have a bigger issue? Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Just for the heck of it, why don't you load your mags a couple rounds short, and see if the first round is still errant?
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I load one short because what I found with the Kahr you can "cram" one more in and that always caused me feed issue with all of them but very apparant with the TP45.

Low and left is for right hander is uneven grip pressure and not pulling the trigger straight back.

Thanks for all of the comments. The issue might very well be me and poor technique. Weird that it was consistently, and only with, the 1st round. Maybe it has something to do with the first round being manually chambered then, with subsequent rounds, the slide is racked by the gun. Just a thought.

Took my new CM9 to the range with my brother over the weekend. We put 175 rounds through it, and I never had any FTFs, but my brother would consistently have a jam on the third round of every mag. I could not repeat the problem, but he could, and it was alway the third round.

Turns out he was hitting the mag release with his thumb. Either the third round thing was a fluke, or by the third round he quit focusing on where his thumb was. I guess the point is, user error disguises itself very well sometimes. :)
    Ramjet likes this.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Links