sig 239 vs sig 229

This is a discussion on sig 239 vs sig 229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to decide between the two of these. I have to buy MA compliant, 10 rd limit in mag, so don't really care about sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sig 239 vs sig 229

sig 239 vs sig 229

Trying to decide between the two of these. I have to buy MA compliant, 10 rd limit in mag, so don't really care about sig 229 having 13, it only has 10 for me.

If you have shot both, I am interested in hearing what you feel the differences are. I am wondering if the 239 feels too small, doesn't have large enough grip, can't sight as well due to a shorter barrel, etc. I have average sized hands.

I have held both, but have only been able to try out the 229. I liked it, but I will always choose something smaller and lighter if it does the same job. Looking to hear from those who have tried both for comparison. Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I own both. Well, close enough, I own two P228s and one P239SAS. The P239 is not at all too small for my large hands. It allows a full grip. It has good sights with a decent radius. It is, in fact, considered "too big" for its capacity by many - and even though I love the pistol, it's hard to argue that there aren't other models that give you a very similar pistol in a smaller/lighter package.

In your situation, assuming you like the Sigs, I think the P239 will serve you well. You can get extended 10 round mags that will both increase your capacity to the maximum legal limit AND give you the same sized grip as the larger Sigs.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

thanks for quick reply and info. it is close enough. do you find any difference in accuracy of them?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    had both yeaars past and the 229 feels very fat in the hand

sold it and kept the 239 in 40. it has 357 & 9mm bbls also.

accuracy for both models was the same--very good
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    I shoot the P228s a little bit better, but that's predominantly because I have so much more trigger time with that model. The P239 is way more than accurate enough for a defensive pistol - it is one of the most accurate "small" pistols I've ever handled.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think the caliber of pistol you intend to get may make a difference. I have a couple of Sigs (P220 Carry in 45acp, P226 in 9mm) and like them very much. Somewhere I read that the P229 was developed primarily to handle the 40sw round. It is not a light pistol at around 32 oz unloaded. If you're going to carry this pistol and you want a 9mm I think the P239 would be your best choice, especially if capacity is not a big issue for you, and conditioned upon the pistol fitting your hand well. It is considerably smaller than the double stack P229 since it is a single stack 9mm and would probably be easier to carry. Also, since it's capacity is 8+1, you would not exceed the 10 round max allowed in your state. If you do a little research on the internet I believe you'll find that the P239 in 9mm is highly respected and liked by the shooting community. Sure, there are smaller 9mms out there, but if you'll have a hard time finding a more ergonomic, reliable, easy-to-shoot and accurate pistol.

I owned both (229 in 9mm and 239 in .40) and gave them to my daughter when she moved to the city for home protection. Both are very reliable and very accurate. The 239 in .40 is a little snappy, but manageable for me , she has to concentrate a bit more with rapid fire. The grip on the 229 is a bit thick for me (small/med. hands). I would probably carry the 239 in a 9mm for better control but both are fine pistols. Good luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

I have a S&W MP9 which I don't shoot well with at all . I have a Sig Mosquito that I love. Also shoot it very well. I tried a 229 once, liked that quite a bit, the only reason I didn't get that instead of the S&W was cost. At this point in time, I regret that decision. But I heard great things about the 239 in 9, so rather than regretting the S&W and being unhappy about it, I figured since I have liked all the Sigs I have used, why not go back to it in 9. Thanks for all the comments.

I love my 229 but don't carry it because it's so heavy fully loaded. the 239 is very nice and comfortable to shoot for me and I have average to large hands. I don't carry that either though but only because my personal preferences about size and weight vs capacity. if weight isn't that big of a deal for you, the 239SAS is awesome.

P239 easier to carry and conceal

I have both the P229 in .40 and the P239 in 9mm. There is a noticeable size difference, as the P229 weighs 32 ounces empty while the P239 weighs 27.5 ounces empty. The grip on the P229 is also wider and longer, as it is a double stack gun with a high capacity magazine. I prefer to carry the smaller P239 because it conceals very well. Both guns shoot well and are accurate and reliable.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I own a 229 in 40 and a P6 (european version of 225 which is the predecessor of the 239)

Both are wonderful weapons both are accurate as can be, both are employed by multiple government agencies.

For purposes of CC, I would opt for the 239. It is a bit thinner than the 229. With your mag cap I think the advantages of the 229 are out the window.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    I think the caliber of pistol you intend to get may make a difference. I have a couple of Sigs (P220 Carry in 45acp, P226 in 9mm) and like them very much. Somewhere I read that the P229 was developed primarily to handle the 40sw round. It is not a light pistol at around 32 oz unloaded. If you're going to carry this pistol and you want a 9mm I think the P239 would be your best choice

, especially if capacity is not a big issue for you, and conditioned upon the pistol fitting your hand well. It is considerably smaller than the double stack P229 since it is a single stack 9mm and would probably be easier to carry. Also, since it's capacity is 8+1, you would not exceed the 10 round max allowed in your state. If you do a little research on the internet I believe you'll find that the P239 in 9mm is highly respected and liked by the shooting community. Sure, there are smaller 9mms out there, but if you'll have a hard time finding a more ergonomic, reliable, easy-to-shoot and accurate pistol.
    All new P229s are built on the .40 frame so there is no size difference between 9mm and .40.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I have carried either the P229 or the P239 chambered in 357Sig for years. I really would hate to have to decide on just one. To me they are practically interchangeable.

With a good belt and holster (which you should have for any gun) the size or weight is unimportant.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I have carried either the P229 or the P239 chambered in 357Sig for years. I really would hate to have to decide on just one. To me they are practically interchangeable.

With a good belt and holster (which you should have for any gun) the size or weight is unimportant.
    I have some good gunbelts,and good holsters for all of my handguns,I must be doing something wrong because the heavy guns still feel heavy.

I have some good gunbelts,and good holsters for all of my handguns,I must be doing something wrong because the heavy guns still feel heavy.
    Exactly, and the thick ones are still thick. Between the P229 and P239, if I were planning to carry it concealed, I would choose the P239. My hands are large and the P239 does not feel too small to me.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links