is there a chip in my slide?

This is a discussion on is there a chip in my slide? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; it's a S&W M&P 40. now first of all, i cannot physically look at this myself or i'd probably be able to tell for sure. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: is there a chip in my slide?

is there a chip in my slide?

it's a S&W M&P 40. now first of all, i cannot physically look at this myself or i'd probably be able to tell for sure. my friend who is taking care of my guns for me since i'm out of the country for 3 years said he noticed something while cleaning one of them. right at the bottom of the hole where the firing pin comes out, it looks like there is a small chip. he said it feels like a chip and not standard from the factory. but he cannot say for sure. anyone else with an M&P 40 verify for me if they have a similar elongated hole in their M&P. he said there has been zero problems with it shooting. in the past 8 months he's put about a thousand rounds through it. cleaned it after each trip to the range but doesn't remember it having that elongated hole. here is a pic, i know it's crappy but that's the best one he's been able to get. thanks for your help.423421_2831675033971_1322002435_32135169_1711901327_n.jpg

also, if this is a chip, is it something i need to worry about or should it be ok?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have PM'd my nephew who has a.40

My 9c doesn't look like that.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Sponsor

Lightbulb

I'd be worried about primer flow...

When a high pressure round is fired, the primer itself actually 'melts' and flows the molten metal back into the firing pin hole.

What kind of loads were being used? Factory ammo? Reloads or what?

Either way, it needs to be fixed. But identifying the cause will prevent future issues.

It could just be a flaw in the material the slide was machined from.

AH CLUB 100.gif
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Probably the breech face had a defect when the firing pin hole was drilled,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Send the slide back to S&W.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    It's difficult to tell very much from that photograph. I would have to say that all gun slides are not typically hardened to the degree that metal will "chip out" around a firing pin hole. I have seen some firing pin holes that have been deformed from excessive dry firing on an empty chamber but, that problem can usually be solved by a few simple and careful swipes with a fine flat file.
    That would be RARE if your firing pin physically chipped out a chunk of metal from your slide breech face.

If there IS a chip of slide material out in that location then the easiest and most realistic "fix" would be for the slide to be shipped back and replaced by S&W.
    If there is metal missing in that location then you are going to have cartridge material deforming back into that recess during detonation and that could easily affect function.
    And I would call that a factory defect because there is no way that should happen during normal firing, dry firing, cleaning, etc. It's not an owner/operation sort of defect.

thank you for the replies. he was using winchester ammo from wal-mart.

i'll have to give S&W a call tomorrow and find out how i can send it back when i'm not even in possession of it..

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    it's a S&W M&P 40. now first of all, i cannot physically look at this myself or i'd probably be able to tell for sure. my friend who is taking care of my guns for me since i'm out of the country for 3 years said he noticed something while cleaning one of them. right at the bottom of the hole where the firing pin comes out, it looks like there is a small chip. he said it feels like a chip and not standard from the factory. but he cannot say for sure. anyone else with an M&P 40 verify for me if they have a similar elongated hole in their M&P. he said there has been zero problems with it shooting. in the past 8 months he's put about a thousand rounds through it. cleaned it after each trip to the range but doesn't remember it having that elongated hole. here is a pic, i know it's crappy but that's the best one he's been able to get. thanks for your help.423421_2831675033971_1322002435_32135169_1711901327_n.jpg

also, if this is a chip, is it something i need to worry about or should it be ok?
    Don't believe it is a "chip" all three of the M&P's we own have that as well. Here's a thread on the M&P forum about it too. Last post in that thread gives a reason for it...True or not, I don't know.

My M&P9c also has the exact same "chip" in the exact same place.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I'm pretty sure I've seen it on mine as well, though it's on my hip right now and I'm not in a place I can just whip it out and look.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Here is a photo...
    gosh what a lint magnet
    *wipes with clean patch lol

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Closer shot looks like it's a machine cut instead of a defect or failure IMO

Fullsize photo HERE

sweet, thanks for that picture. i thought i remembered that being there but it's been about 11 months since i last saw my my smith in person.

Distinguished Member
    Both my 40s had that same groove/elongated hole right out of box.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen it on mine as well, though it's on my hip right now and I'm not in a place I can just whip it out and look.

Most people don't appreciate it when others 'just whip it out and look'. Congratulations, and thank you for restraining yourself.
    Doodle likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links