Colt Govt .380 Series 80

This is a discussion on Colt Govt .380 Series 80 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with this model, I know it is discontinued and parts are hard to find. I found one in excellent shape ...

Thread: Colt Govt .380 Series 80

Colt Govt .380 Series 80

Does anyone have any experience with this model, I know it is discontinued and parts are hard to find. I found one in excellent shape and am going to shoot it this weekend. It has a plastic guide rod which would be the first thing replaced if I can find one. It would be a summertime car/carry gun when the Ultra CDP can't be concealed in light clothing. Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

2. Remove Ads

I had one years ago and found it shot very well. Sold it and now regret doing that.
    Here's what I didn't like (but should have just lived with) -- the safety locks the hammer, of course, but unlike a full-size 1911, the safety does not go up into a notch in the slide. At least mine didn't. Maybe that was changed at some point. Anyway, when inserting the gun into an IWB holster, the holster would push the slide open.
    I know, simple enough to just keep a finger on the back of the slide, but I wasn't used to that, I was used to 1911 safeties.
    At the time, that gun was just another Colt and they were all over the place, so I didn't give it much thought. I should have....

VIP Member
    I've had experience with two of them - one turned out to be a lemon that the gunsmith absolutely hated to work on, and the other still works perfectly. I've got a Colt .380 Mustang and love it, and would probably never sell it.

I wish they didn't stop making them.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Pocketlite

I've got a Colt Mustang Pocketlite in stainless. I love it. Totally reliable and I can shoot it well. It's my carry gun when I just can't make the Kimber Ultra Carry fit the situation.

I've spent a fair bit of time on some of the forums debating with myself between the Mustang and a S&W J-frame. I bought a 642 a few months ago and love it, but it doesn't do anything the Mustang won't (except have a slightly more effective round). The Mustang certainly conceals better.

I'm probably going to invest in an ambidexterous safety and some better sights for the Mustang. It will then be both my deep concealment gun and my backup gun.

I hate to sell the 642, but it just isn't working for me. YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

P.S. Betty, love your blog.
    Last edited by badgerw; August 30th, 2006 at 09:26 PM.

I had a Mustang Pocketlite for a while. It was accurate and worked. The controld were mostly the same as the 1911s and HiPowers I carried.
    I traded mine off because I could have a similar size gun, but in 9mm, with a Kahr (which I carry as a "spare"). But if limited to choosing a .380, a Colt Mustang (Pocketlite or not) would be my choice.

I have a beauty of one also...

Here is mine with new holster

I picked up a Government Model 380 last spring that was NIB. Many rounds have gone downrange this summer - an assortment of FMJ and HP of different weights and styles. Function has been 100% and accuracy is superb for a pistol of this type.
    I recently received my IWB holster from Kevin at K&D. It fits perfect and is very comfortable and concealable. I think it is a first class rig.

I HAD a Colt Government .380 Pocketlite until I sold it earlier this year! Big mistake - regretted it the next day. Great little gun - if you get a good price on one - jump on it!

nice set-up Arty ! I got a holster from Kevin (K&D) too !

The Price

I finally got a price from the guy, he wants $300 for it. It's in VG condition original box and booklet and hasn't been shot much. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see if I like it. Mike Z
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

I'd take it right now! They are going for $450-500

Surprised...

I am surprised by the glowing tributes to this particular weapon. I bought one new about twenty years ago and found it very uncomfortable to shoot. Promptly sold it and never looked back. Perhaps I had a lemon or perhaps I should have given it more time. Either way, I wound up with a slightly modified Walther PPKS from Interarms and have overcome the objections I had to it initially (it bit). Since you asked the audience, I would go with their advice and grab it. I was going to post a picture, but I have no idea what the URL is because it is just on my computer. Anybody know?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 1911FXR; September 2nd, 2006 at 02:56 AM. Reason: PPKS not PPK

Quote Originally Posted by 1911FXR View Post
    Anybody know?
    the problem is you need this (save it in your favorites)

http://www.uploadfile.info/

Thanks Atrz! Works like a charm.

Have one - very comfortable to shoot and very accurate.
    MountainMan - Dave

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Links