New member and need advice on a new carry gun. - Page 2

New member and need advice on a new carry gun.

This is a discussion on New member and need advice on a new carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd be glad to tell you about my preference. We all surely will. But this is kind of like choosing your truck: they will all ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member and need advice on a new carry gun.

I'd be glad to tell you about my preference. We all surely will. But this is kind of like choosing your truck: they will all do the job, but you need to get what it is that YOU want. J frames, SP's, all are well made, reliable weapons. Go to the shop and pick your iron. My opinion is worthless, as this will be your gun. Good news is that you'd be hard pressed to make a mistake.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Why didn't the Glock fit into your lifestyle? That is going to help us determine what might be a better option for you.

Sticking to the revolver direction ...look at the 17oz Ruger LCR in 357. I think that might fit the bill. Forget shooting 357's...load her up with 38+P's and you'll have a nice carry package. The 4 ounces that the 357 version has over the original 38 LCR should make it just about the right compromise. In dress clothes...an ankle rig might do the trick too!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Sorry guys, I have been tied up with work and not had time to get back on the forum. Thanks for all your insights and knowledge. I guess I was rambling a little in my post, so I will try and clarify. I am a slim guy 6'0 150lbs. There is no way I could carry my G27 in my pocket, and it was just to thick and uncomfortable to wear in a holster that was not a pain to remove and put back on. I am a very busy active guy, so weight and size is important to me. Also I do practice with my firearm but I want my new CCW to be safe reliable and very vesitile. I have been to my dealer 4 or 5 times and can't make up my mind between an LCR , 442 or a 340 m&p. I love the thought of the 357 option, but is 38 enough? For same reason I have a hang up regarding the 38. Too much Internet reading I guess. Anyone have experience with these models and some good data on ballistics out of a snub? Also would like to IWB and pocket carry. Is the LCR to large for pocket carry? Thanks guys guess I am rambling again. Too many decisions.

If you are looking for a thin profile, I don't know that a revolver will get you there. A semi-auto will be thinner. Here is a list of the single stack 9's.

Sub-Compact 9's

I have the Nano and like it for when I need something small and compact. I've got the G27 and G23 when I can take something bigger.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    The LCR is fine for pocket carry... though mine has the tamer grip which gets a bit crowded in the pocket. I plan on getting a boot grip for it. I think this will make it just about perfect. I do sometimes pocket my steel J frame but that LCR, you'll just about forget it's in there. As mentioned before, I'm confident in the 38 Special, shot placement is what counts.
    For driving I just wear what I picked out (CCW) and put a snubby in the console for quick access if needed.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links