New member and need advice on a new carry gun.

This is a discussion on New member and need advice on a new carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading many threads on this forum to try and decide on my next carry piece. I have been carrying a G27 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member and need advice on a new carry gun.

New member and need advice on a new carry gun.

I have been reading many threads on this forum to try and decide on my next carry piece. I have been carrying a G27 and decided to part ways with it recently. I loved the gun, but it just did not fit into my lifestyle.

Here is my dilemma , I travel weekly for work, much of it consist of long hours in a car or flying. I also have to dress business casual so a majority of the time my shirt is tucked in. I have tried many different IWB holsters but I can't get comfortable while driving so the holster is removed then it becomes a major pain getting it back on and situated. So what happens is the gun either stays in the car or at home.

I have always been fond of automatics and have really tried to make myself purchase a Kahr CM or PM or a new similar piece. But lately I have really started to like the simplicity of a revolver. I was never a fan of the 38 but these S&W J frames and the new LCR seem to be calling my name. I love the way they feel and just the simplicity of these guns. I have always felt like I needed more fire power, but now I am not sure. I guess I am throwing this out there to see if I am crazy. A majority of people I talk with preach more rounds and larger calibers, however a 22 year captain of the Swat team carries a 38 and so does a veteran that has all the calibers and prefers his 38 as well. I also thought about a 357 but not sure I would want to go any smaller then a SP101 which is about the same weight and size of the G27.

I know this is a personal issue but thought maybe I could get some guidance from some of you out there with similar positions.

I am not a paranoid person and usually I am not in bad areas, but I do believe in personal protection any advice would be well received.

2. Remove Ads

I can't say enough good things about my SP101. Mine is the 2.25" in .357Mag, because I like having the option of firing .357Mag or .38Sp.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I think a J-frame S&W will suit you just fine. Don't fret the capacity issue.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Look into Kahr.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Tons of choices these days. Taurus pt 709, or pt111, the new Beretta Nano looks interesting, Para Carry 9, the list goes on and on. I feel your pain, i'm looking too - need to try about 20 of them to decide.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Don't fret about the .38 Special cartridge. It's quite capable. I've used it since the mid-1970s to shoot all sorts of Texas varmints and critters with great success. I can't really recall anything that didn't go down for the count when I turned a .38 Special on it as long as good hits were registered. I have .357 Magnums but they seldom see use afield. I feel very confident in the cartridge for personal self-defense.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Welcome from the AZ desert!

I don't own an SP101, but I've shot a couple and I'd pick one up if it's a bargain.

Without taking anything away from the gun, the SP101 is big and it's heavy and challenges the notion of pocket carry. I have a S&W Model 64 snub that's the same size at the SP101 and just a snick heavier, and it holds 6 rounds vs. the 5 in the SP101. And the M65 does the same in .357 mag. But I wouldn't carry my M64 in anything but a back jeans pocket, if at all.

I think your requirements are somewhat conflicting if you say the G27 is too big yet you want an SP101... two guns of different shape but nearly the same bulk and weight. If you really are serious about having a defensive handgun with you as much as possible, I think you're looking at a J-frame sized snub. The Ruger LCR, any of the Smith J-frames, or the Taurus 85 and its numerous variants, and the out-of-production Colt Detective Special all fit the bill of being pocket-sized and light enough. I also believe that .38 in +P loading is about as powerful as I want in a lightweight gun, with control and good hit probability being my 'drivers.'

I'd recommend hanging onto the G27 if you can afford to, and augmenting rather then replacing it with a small snub.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The baby Glocks are awesome carry guns, I carry a G26 daily, but theres no denying that the J-frames are awesome guns, Im thinking if picking on up for a summer gun. Small, light but not dinky like some, ive got big hands so really small stuff is out, plus J frames have a lot of carry options

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I pocket carry most of the time. At work, I've had to dress in business attire (suit), but a recent change in role lets me dress in business casual some days.

Depending on the size of the pockets, I carry either a Glock 26, Kahr PM9, or a Ruger LCP as a primary. My secondary, in the opposite pocket, is always a LCP.

Pocket carry is very comfortable, especially when seated for long periods of time in a car.

A snubbie is a fine weapon, but if you can fit it in your pocket, you can likely fit your G27 as well. The baby Glocks have virtually the same footprint as a snubbie, with twice the firepower, at the expense of some extra weight.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I love my old model 36. 642/442 is a great gun, light. However, no revolver is ever going to be as flat as a single stack 9 or .380. I used to have to dress just like you, in a totally non-permissive environment. I carried an LCP in a smart carry holster. you can easily put a 642 or even a G27 in it (especially if your a bigger person). I did carry my G27 that way. Smart carries take some learning but are far and away the most concealed rigs you can get. The trick for me was to wear it well off the centerline, so it was basically a crossdraw 1:00 setup.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    357 LCR here. I sometimes pocket carry it in a Desantis Nemisis.Very easy to conceal. That may work for you. Otherwise carry
    IWB in a generic leather holster that works well for me but I don't drive all day.

Welcome from Delaware! My EDC is a SA XD40 SC, however, I do carry my S&W 2" Airweight on occasion.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Jarwood, I probably would never (say never) wear one, but have you considered wearing an ankle holster during those business casual times?

Welcome to DC.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    OP I don't really see a question in your post, you're just kind of rambling (don't feel bad, I do it all the time).

Perhaps you could better articulate what your question is. Are you asking if you should buy and carry a snubby? Or are you asking in general what gun DC members think you should get?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links