Advantage of owning multiple caliber

This is a discussion on Advantage of owning multiple caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This might sound stupid but in my house which is me and my dad, I'm still in college. But we have multiple 9mm, 44mag, .357 ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Advantage of owning multiple caliber

This might sound stupid but in my house which is me and my dad, I'm still in college. But we have multiple 9mm, 44mag, .357 mag, .38 special, 380, and others. Colt 45 1911 is my next one I buy. But it gives us options. Plus if the world goes to crap we will be more likely to come upon ammo that we can use. :):):)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I agree with gasmitty the more calibers the better options you have, a good stock of ammo can easily be kept up with and you have a great start... keep up your stock by buying a box or two every time your in local store that sells ammo, ( i make a trip or two a week to wally world or academy for a box) buy yourself another gun and have some fun... where I live I have oftern had difficulty finding a specific type ammo 44 mag is very difficult to find so I keep several calibers and always have about 300 to 700 rounds of everything I can get my hands on
    shockwave likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Keep in mind if you use your firearm for self defense it's more than likely going to be taken as evidence and kept until the trial is over. Best to have a backup or spare. Choose a different chambering, like chambering or even an identical gun. Anything mechanical can fail, so breakage may also be a concern; your carry weapon may go down and need to be sent off for repair or parts ordered before it's functional again.

Thinking back to a few years, some calibers were unobtainable, I remember at one time here locally .380 stock was completely gone for many months and when it did begin to trickle back in it was priced outrageously, 9mm and .45 auto were also sold out at times. I have guns in .38, 9mm, .40, and .45 and keep a stock of ammo for each. My local LE all issue .40 S&W with the exception of State Police which issue .357 Sig.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    ...I have two goals, self-defense and home defense...My current inventory - Glock 19 for EDC...I have 1,000 rounds for the 19...so Ive saved $1,000.

Here is my question.

Would I be better off spending the money Ive saved for additional ammo for the 19 and 870 or should I purchase a 45?

I do not understand the advantages of owning multiple caliber guns over one good gun with a sufficient amount of ammo.

Mike
    You state your goals are SD and HD. You have a good weapon for both and a good base of ammo. There are many reasons to have more than one weapon (repair, evidence, back-up, etc.). If funds are somewhat limited, I would buy a G26 as my second gun because you already have a good base of ammo, it is similar to your current EDC, it gives you a smaller option, and you can use your G19 mags with it.

Also, if you buy a 45, the target rounds are 50 cents each and carry rounds are $1 each. And that's not considering ammo prices seem to be on the rise again. By the time you buy a handgun and a couple hundred rounds of target ammo and a hundred rounds of defense ammo, you've blown the money you've saved and didn't get to practice much. And stocking .45 in any quantity isn't going to be cheap. If you want to stretch your dollar, buy a good .22 to practice with on the cheap. Ruger SR22 or S&W M&P22 are both good options.

I say this as a person that personally owns handguns chambered in 11 calibers: .22short, .22lr, .22mag, .38, .38+p, .357 mag, 9mm, 9mm+p, .40, .45, .44mag. I have different goals. I gave you my advice for you given your goals and situation. There's nothing wrong with owning multiple calibers, it just depends on your wants, needs, and situations.
    helderberg likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    As of right now I have only one caliber in my handguns. I currently only shoot 9mm but I would not mind getting a few .40 S&W guns and a couple of .45 ACP guns. I think it is best for an emergency to stock the most common calibers in the most common guns. But as of right now, I might suggest getting a Glock 17 or Glock 26 and that 870 along with ammo for both to practice with. I think that would be the best step for you. I also might suggest getting some training if you have the money.

Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    Amen The other thought for the 45 is they have been around more than 100 years ,most in use by one military or another, so it is the only other (beside 9mm) that has world wide stockpiles .
    You planning on an invasion and taking ammo off of invading soldiers or do you see a need compelling need bulk ammo while abroad??
    Seriously though, we have multiple calibers just because of want, not need. And it is good to have a choice in case ammo pricesgo up or in short supply for a particular caliber. But that would not be a driving force in my decision if you stock up.

VIP Member
    As stated this is kind of more of a want than a need. The .45 acp round is issued to the US military in very limited numbers and I cannot think of any foreign countries that use it so the chances of finding a stockpile or taking ammo off invading whomevers is pretty slim.

I slimmed down my caliber collection a longtime ago to .22, .380, 9mm, .38/.357, .45 in pistol and 7.62 x 39, 7.62 NATO and 5.56 in rifle along with 12 gauge being my only shotgun caliber. If the situations ever gets bad enough that you need stockpiles of ammo what you have on hand will be what you have. I cannot forsee the government handing out ammo to anyone except troops and contractors so unless you are scrounging from the dead or wounded you are kind of stuck. I have probably 500-1000 rounds for each at any one time but when home I shoot a lot. As has been stated if I find something on sale I will get it just in case prices go up.

The .45 is just another caliber that is all. What you have on hand will do the same job. If you want one then by all means get one but realize it will not do anything more than what you have already which are great choices. I personally would get a rifle of some type instead to fill the medium to long range void but it is all up to you.

I have multipe pistols in the listed calibers and use each for sometimes specific functions. My M&P .45 is set up as my house gun and except to take it to the range never leaves the house. Set up the way it is it is to big to carry but in it's present setup it fills the need that I have for it but that does not mean that I would feel undergunned or at a disadvantage with anything else.

You have saved your money, get what you want be it a .45, more ammo, A RIFLE, and enjoy it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Variety is the spice of life. I am in the crowd that like lots of different calibers because of the versatility and the benefits each may bring to the table. I look at it like a golfer having more than one club available in his bag. Sure, you could run the whole course with just a two clubs.. but why do that when you could have other options? That being said, I keep ammo in 9mm, 45, .38/.357, .22, 5.56, .308 and 12 gauge "stock piled" with at least 1000 rounds with a target of 2000 rounds for each of the afore mentioned. Not so much for .380, .40, .30 carbine and a few other calibers that I don't shoot alot at the range. For those calibers, I typically have about 500 rounds or less on hand.

I used to only shoot 9mm. But then I bought a .357. And then a .38. And then a couple of .40s. Then I bought a .223 rifle. Now I have a safe full of ammo:)

The advantage of multiple calibers?

Way more fun!

I'm not in handgun ownership for the single-minded purpose of personal self-defense.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Again, thanks to everyone who has commented. Lots of good information for me to consider. I'm starting to lean toward a Glock 26 then spend the remainder on ammo and magazines for the 26 and 19.

Mike
    genauwiedu likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    Some people hunt with their pistol, or carry in the woods ,do you want to face a bear with a 9mm.
    That is why I have a 10mm in the handgun collection. Although, I'd prefer to use my 12 guage.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would use the shotgun for hunting rather than a pistol.
    mr.stuart likes this.

IMHO if you like guns but need to watch your $$. Same caliber is easiest. I limit myself to 5....but it's hard :)

I don't see anyone " posting" using a pistol for bear or hunting. Just Back up? You need the custom big bores if you are. With scope.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links