Advantage of owning multiple caliber

This is a discussion on Advantage of owning multiple caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've taken all the small game and deer I've shot with handguns using revolvers with factory sights. No scope necessary. We have no bear around ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Advantage of owning multiple caliber

I've taken all the small game and deer I've shot with handguns using revolvers with factory sights. No scope necessary.

We have no bear around these parts but the .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or even .45 Colt would do for black bear. I wouldn't be interested in taking large bear with handguns.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

I'm going to stick with 9mm for my auto's, then add two wheel guns (a compact .38 and a regular size .357) This way I can keep a few options open caliber wise without going nuts, and not having to buy any more mags. :-)

I cannot afford 20+ nice vehicles. However, I can afford 20+ nice firearms. Were I wealthy, I still wouldn't have more than a few nice trucks, maybe a nice car, but I assure you the gun collection would increase geometrically.

I have many calibers simply because I want them.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FPW823 View Post
    Ive been having a similar contemplation....But I have pretty much decided to get the ammo. what kills me is you can spend $1000 on a .45 and no matter what you have a nice .45 (assuming its never stolen) but if you spend $1000 on ammo eventually you'll have $1000 worth of empty brass. Sucks
    Yes but a really nice gun without ammo is rather useless!

With the ammo you are richer for the experience.

Get a Kahr TP45 few hundred dollars less and shoots like crazy and carries even better. Still got money left over for ammo.

Besides if you buy another gun you will buy more ammo to shoot them all. Look for deals make your dollars go far.

It is good to have multiple weapons.
    It does not hurt to have various calibers if you can afford it.
    It sounds like you have ample ammo reserves.

Additional ammo? How much do you practice?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    ...I have two goals, self-defense and home defense.

My current inventory - Glock 19 for EDC, a Remington 870 shotgun for the house, and a Judge for my wife... I had planned to purchase a 45 so Ive saved $1,000. I keep reading the different threads here about what is better a 9MM, 40, or 45.

Here is my question.

Would I be better off spending the money Ive saved for additional ammo for the 19 and 870 or should I purchase a 45?

I do not understand the advantages of owning multiple caliber guns over one good gun with a sufficient amount of ammo...
    Might not exactly answer your question, but here's my $.02:

Like several of the guys have said, for strictly SD/HD use, there isn't much value in having a bunch of calibers - but for the enjoyment of shooting & collecting, there is. I've had handguns in most every major caliber from .22LR through .44 Mag revolvers, and .22LR through .45ACP semi-autos. My CCW of choice is a CM9 9mm or, when I don't mind a little extra size & weight, my CW45.

For HD, the 12 ga. is my weapon of choice, but handgun-wise, since size & weight doesn't really matter, I like a full-size hi-capacity 9mm, .40, or .45. The XDm .40 usually fills that role.

If I absolutely could only have one handgun, it would be a .357 Mag, for simplicity, reliability, and versatility. A 4" .357 is my wife's nightstand gun for those same reasons. It's loaded with .38 +P's, since she really does not handle recoil & muzzle blast well.

Getting back to your question: You've got ammo for the 870 and the Judge covered, and depending on how much you're planning to shoot, 1000 rounds of 9mm might last you a good while. The logical choice might be to get more 9mm ammo, but that wouldn't be MY choice. Every guy oughtta have a .45! If it were me, I'd get a mid-level .45; either a 1911, something like an XDm, SIG, or an M&P, or a Kahr. You'll have plenty of dough left over for ammo, and can restock the 9mm supply and the .45 as time & finances permit. For me, a new gun beats more ammo every time! (But I have plenty of ammo for all my calibers already.)

Oh, and when you can swing it, you'll want a good .44 Mag for SD against bear, too!

Regards,
    Jim

My .02 cents, given what you have.... a .357.
    mr surveyor likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I am a firm believer in multiple guns in the same caliber so if one goes down you have another gun so your not wasting ammo with only one gun. I would get another 9mm and maybe a Glock since you already own one.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    Some people hunt with their pistol, or carry in the woods ,do you want to face a bear with a 9mm.
    My 29SF will solve that problem.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    The best thing to do would be look at what you are constantly shooting and why? And what you will be doing with your guns? And why do you want to get a new caliber?

I would use that $1000 saved to double up on the Glock 19 and shotgun. The survivalist saying is, "one is none, two is one." A backup for the EDC would allow to keep running the same if you had to send the pistol out. An identical backup for your HD shotgun would allow both you and your wife to have one and they back each other up for parts and/or service outages. The judge pistol, well, one is enough.

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply.

I deal with AtlanticTatical because they discount for LEO and Military. I'd really like a 45 but, currently, they do not have a G 36. For me, the 30 is a little too big. I think I'm going to get a G26 and 1,000 rounds of ammo. I can share the magazines from my G 19. I'll start saving again for a 45 and if I can find a 36 or Colt 1911 then I'll have another decision.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I have .45 for my primary carry, 9 for my wife's primary carry (and my car gun), .223 and 12 ga for home. 22 lr for my kids' guns. I don't see any reason for other calibers, unless it might give me an excuse to buy more guns...now that I think about it, I just might need several more calibers...

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    I have .45 for my primary carry, 9 for my wife's primary carry (and my car gun), .223 and 12 ga for home. 22 lr for my kids' guns. I don't see any reason for other calibers, unless it might give me an excuse to buy more guns...now that I think about it, I just might need several more calibers...
    You really need a .357. Everybody does. And I'm a semi-auto guy.

Regards,
    Jim
    mr surveyor likes this.

I think of it more as owning multiple 'roles'. An N-Frame makes a good hunting sidearm but it's not a great summer carry. And I wouldn't wanna fend off an armed attack at home with my M77. The only duplication I currently own in 'roles' is my Super Blackhawk and my S&W M57-1. Well.. guess my Mauser 7mm fills the same role as the M77. Which is great kuz both the mauser and the blackhawk are down!.. But for your situation I guess the question would be what is the 9mm not doing that the 45 would do? If it's an SHTF role you're looking to fill, you have a few handguns and a shotgun, get a middle of the road AK so you can still afford some 7.62 :D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links