Defensive Carry banner

Advantage of owning multiple caliber

16K views 50 replies 37 participants last post by  CDRGlock 
#1 ·
I’m almost a year into concealed carry. I have two goals, self-defense and home defense.

My current inventory - Glock 19 for EDC, a Remington 870 shotgun for the house, and a Judge for my wife. I have 1,000 rounds for the 19, 500 for the 870, and 200 for the Judge. I had planned to purchase a 45 so I’ve saved $1,000. I keep reading the different threads here about what is better a 9MM, 40, or 45.

Here is my question.

Would I be better off spending the money I’ve saved for additional ammo for the 19 and 870 or should I purchase a 45?

I do not understand the advantages of owning multiple caliber guns over one good gun with a sufficient amount of ammo.

Thanks in advance for those who reply.

Mike

#2 ·
My personal opinion is you are better off with one caliber that is readily available (such as 9mm) than many. Keep it simple. Unless you are just an enthusiast that enjoys having various things. Not much of a tactical or strategic advantage to having another caliber that I can see. Perhaps having a large size and capacity 9mm and a small single stack 9mm for deep conceal. The Glock 19 / 26 combo works well for that as you can carry both and just carry extra G19 mags which will work in both.

#3 ·
I have handguns in many calibers. I like it that way. Most are 9mm, .40, .45 and some .38. Even though 9mm is probably the most popular, I have walked into various sporting goods stores that were out of 9mm, but had .40 S&W. I like to have options. I carry 9, 40 or 45 with equal confidence.

Either choice will be good. More ammo will make you more proficient with your 19, but a new .45 would be nice too.

#5 ·
Ive been having a similar contemplation....But I have pretty much decided to get the ammo. what kills me is you can spend $1000 on a .45 and no matter what you have a nice .45 (assuming its never stolen) but if you spend $1000 on ammo eventually you'll have $1000 worth of empty brass. Sucks

#34 ·
Yes but a really nice gun without ammo is rather useless!

With the ammo you are richer for the experience.

Get a Kahr TP45 few hundred dollars less and shoots like crazy and carries even better. Still got money left over for ammo.

Besides if you buy another gun you will buy more ammo to shoot them all. Look for deals make your dollars go far.

#6 ·
At the moment I have multiple guns in the same caliber. I find that having the same grips and triggers, in different barrel lenghts, is a great way to get proficient with your weapon. I like Colt 1911's, so I lean towards the .45 caliber. As far as ammo goes, I just stay on the lookout everywhere I go. To my way of thinking, it's easier to keep track of what you need when all you have to do is buy one kind. I agree with the 870 for the house.
Oh, and I think everybody should own a 1911.

#8 ·
seasons change, places you go change and how you dress changes.

short of open carry, we who have to conceal need a degree of versatility.
3 guns is basic; just my opinion born of years of need and observation

a primary for IWB under a shirt or jacket - a mid size like a sig p239 in 40 or 9mm.
two secodnary's, on for a vest or jacket pocket---like a j frame and a small p32 or p380
to slip in a pocket for yard work or to walk the dog.

also if one gun has to be repaired, you still have 2 options till it gets back.
it is also good if yor training and abilities include different platforms. lots of
reasons; give it some thought--many are self evident.

#9 ·
I do not understand the advantages of owning multiple caliber guns over one good gun with a sufficient amount of ammo.
It's simple - we have the richness of choices. If you pursue gun ownership from the standpoint of enjoyment and not just utility, why not have several calibers?

I can understand planning for the apocalypse or civil unrest or bugging out - all situations in which commonality of equipment and ammo has its distinct benefits. But while I'm equipped for such an unlikely event, I'm also equipped to hunt, target shoot, train others, and generally enjoy all the facets of the shooting sports, and I do that with a wide variety of calibers and gauges.

#11 ·
My main carry guns share not only the same ammo, but the same magazines (Kahr PM9 and Kahr MK9). I carry one or both, and feel that is the absolute best option of all.

There are exceptions... such as my Taurus 738 (.380) which has a sole purpose of extreme conceal-ability or when nothing else fits the bill. The other is my 'car gun' which is a S&W 642 revolver (.38 Special).

I do have a Remington 870 for home defense, but I'd be more likely to grab my Springfield XDM (also 9mm) if anything happened, simply because I can keep it closer to me (we have kids).

I'm really tempted by the XDs .45, but will probably wait for the XDs in 9mm because i do like the 9mm round and don't want to stock up on yet another caliber.

#12 ·
I have separate guns for the same calibers and more, but I do like the fact that in a few minutes, I can swap out the barrels and magazines on my S&W M&P 40c and also shoot 357 sig or 9mm. It's not the only pistol that can do that, but it does it very well and rather quickly, while maintaining accuracy.

#14 ·
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I am appreciative.

I'm a disabled vet so I do not hunt. I'm a terrible carpenter so I have a limited tool box. I enjoy going to my local range and do so every chance I get. I am worried about America and feel that a SHTF event is closer than I ever imagined.

I would love a Colt 1911 but they are a dickens to find and would, easily, wipe out the money I've saved.

It is just my wife and me. Our children and grandchildren live 8 and 10 hours away so no need to worry about unsecured weapons unless family visits.

Mike

#15 ·
Mike, first, a hearty Thank You! for your service. What you just added helps refine an answer to your original question. If you've got a grand to invest, I'd say get another G19 (or maybe a G17) - used would be fine - and spend the rest on ammo and training. As long as your shotgun ammo stash has buckshot and slugs, maybe some birdshot for practice, you should be fine. Don't go overboard on food for the Judge, since that's really useful at bad-breath distance and not a lot more. Your lady should be able to handle a Glock in 9mm just fine, if she can manage .410s in the Judge, so you could each have one handy if danger approaches.

#16 ·
This might sound stupid but in my house which is me and my dad, I'm still in college. But we have multiple 9mm, 44mag, .357 mag, .38 special, 380, and others. Colt 45 1911 is my next one I buy. But it gives us options. Plus if the world goes to crap we will be more likely to come upon ammo that we can use. :):):)

#17 ·
I agree with gasmitty the more calibers the better options you have, a good stock of ammo can easily be kept up with and you have a great start... keep up your stock by buying a box or two every time your in local store that sells ammo, ( i make a trip or two a week to wally world or academy for a box) buy yourself another gun and have some fun... where I live I have oftern had difficulty finding a specific type ammo 44 mag is very difficult to find so I keep several calibers and always have about 300 to 700 rounds of everything I can get my hands on

Reactions: shockwave
#18 ·
Keep in mind if you use your firearm for self defense it's more than likely going to be taken as evidence and kept until the trial is over. Best to have a backup or spare. Choose a different chambering, like chambering or even an identical gun. Anything mechanical can fail, so breakage may also be a concern; your carry weapon may go down and need to be sent off for repair or parts ordered before it's functional again.

Thinking back to a few years, some calibers were unobtainable, I remember at one time here locally .380 stock was completely gone for many months and when it did begin to trickle back in it was priced outrageously, 9mm and .45 auto were also sold out at times. I have guns in .38, 9mm, .40, and .45 and keep a stock of ammo for each. My local LE all issue .40 S&W with the exception of State Police which issue .357 Sig.

Reactions: Hoganbeg
#19 ·
...I have two goals, self-defense and home defense...My current inventory - Glock 19 for EDC...I have 1,000 rounds for the 19...so I’ve saved $1,000.

Here is my question.

Would I be better off spending the money I’ve saved for additional ammo for the 19 and 870 or should I purchase a 45?

Mike
You state your goals are SD and HD. You have a good weapon for both and a good base of ammo. There are many reasons to have more than one weapon (repair, evidence, back-up, etc.). If funds are somewhat limited, I would buy a G26 as my second gun because you already have a good base of ammo, it is similar to your current EDC, it gives you a smaller option, and you can use your G19 mags with it.

Also, if you buy a 45, the target rounds are 50 cents each and carry rounds are $1 each. And that's not considering ammo prices seem to be on the rise again. By the time you buy a handgun and a couple hundred rounds of target ammo and a hundred rounds of defense ammo, you've blown the money you've saved and didn't get to practice much. And stocking .45 in any quantity isn't going to be cheap. If you want to stretch your dollar, buy a good .22 to practice with on the cheap. Ruger SR22 or S&W M&P22 are both good options.

I say this as a person that personally owns handguns chambered in 11 calibers: .22short, .22lr, .22mag, .38, .38+p, .357 mag, 9mm, 9mm+p, .40, .45, .44mag. I have different goals. I gave you my advice for you given your goals and situation. There's nothing wrong with owning multiple calibers, it just depends on your wants, needs, and situations.

#20 ·
As of right now I have only one caliber in my handguns. I currently only shoot 9mm but I would not mind getting a few .40 S&W guns and a couple of .45 ACP guns. I think it is best for an emergency to stock the most common calibers in the most common guns. But as of right now, I might suggest getting a Glock 17 or Glock 26 and that 870 along with ammo for both to practice with. I think that would be the best step for you. I also might suggest getting some training if you have the money.

#22 ·
As stated this is kind of more of a want than a need. The .45 acp round is issued to the US military in very limited numbers and I cannot think of any foreign countries that use it so the chances of finding a stockpile or taking ammo off invading whomevers is pretty slim.

I slimmed down my caliber collection a longtime ago to .22, .380, 9mm, .38/.357, .45 in pistol and 7.62 x 39, 7.62 NATO and 5.56 in rifle along with 12 gauge being my only shotgun caliber. If the situations ever gets bad enough that you need stockpiles of ammo what you have on hand will be what you have. I cannot forsee the government handing out ammo to anyone except troops and contractors so unless you are scrounging from the dead or wounded you are kind of stuck. I have probably 500-1000 rounds for each at any one time but when home I shoot a lot. As has been stated if I find something on sale I will get it just in case prices go up.

The .45 is just another caliber that is all. What you have on hand will do the same job. If you want one then by all means get one but realize it will not do anything more than what you have already which are great choices. I personally would get a rifle of some type instead to fill the medium to long range void but it is all up to you.

I have multipe pistols in the listed calibers and use each for sometimes specific functions. My M&P .45 is set up as my house gun and except to take it to the range never leaves the house. Set up the way it is it is to big to carry but in it's present setup it fills the need that I have for it but that does not mean that I would feel undergunned or at a disadvantage with anything else.

You have saved your money, get what you want be it a .45, more ammo, A RIFLE, and enjoy it.

#23 ·
Variety is the spice of life. I am in the crowd that like lots of different calibers because of the versatility and the benefits each may bring to the table. I look at it like a golfer having more than one club available in his bag. Sure, you could run the whole course with just a two clubs.. but why do that when you could have other options? That being said, I keep ammo in 9mm, 45, .38/.357, .22, 5.56, .308 and 12 gauge "stock piled" with at least 1000 rounds with a target of 2000 rounds for each of the afore mentioned. Not so much for .380, .40, .30 carbine and a few other calibers that I don't shoot alot at the range. For those calibers, I typically have about 500 rounds or less on hand.

#24 ·
I used to only shoot 9mm. But then I bought a .357. And then a .38. And then a couple of .40s. Then I bought a .223 rifle. Now I have a safe full of ammo:)

#25 ·
The advantage of multiple calibers?

Way more fun!

I'm not in handgun ownership for the single-minded purpose of personal self-defense.

#26 ·
Again, thanks to everyone who has commented. Lots of good information for me to consider. I'm starting to lean toward a Glock 26 then spend the remainder on ammo and magazines for the 26 and 19.

Mike

Reactions: genauwiedu
#31 ·
I've taken all the small game and deer I've shot with handguns using revolvers with factory sights. No scope necessary.

We have no bear around these parts but the .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or even .45 Colt would do for black bear. I wouldn't be interested in taking large bear with handguns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.