Advantage of owning multiple caliber

This is a discussion on Advantage of owning multiple caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím almost a year into concealed carry. I have two goals, self-defense and home defense. My current inventory - Glock 19 for EDC, a Remington ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Advantage of owning multiple caliber

Iím almost a year into concealed carry. I have two goals, self-defense and home defense.

My current inventory - Glock 19 for EDC, a Remington 870 shotgun for the house, and a Judge for my wife. I have 1,000 rounds for the 19, 500 for the 870, and 200 for the Judge. I had planned to purchase a 45 so Iíve saved $1,000. I keep reading the different threads here about what is better a 9MM, 40, or 45.

Here is my question.

Would I be better off spending the money Iíve saved for additional ammo for the 19 and 870 or should I purchase a 45?

I do not understand the advantages of owning multiple caliber guns over one good gun with a sufficient amount of ammo.

Thanks in advance for those who reply.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

My personal opinion is you are better off with one caliber that is readily available (such as 9mm) than many. Keep it simple. Unless you are just an enthusiast that enjoys having various things. Not much of a tactical or strategic advantage to having another caliber that I can see. Perhaps having a large size and capacity 9mm and a small single stack 9mm for deep conceal. The Glock 19 / 26 combo works well for that as you can carry both and just carry extra G19 mags which will work in both.
    PatAz, genauwiedu and mr.stuart like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have handguns in many calibers. I like it that way. Most are 9mm, .40, .45 and some .38. Even though 9mm is probably the most popular, I have walked into various sporting goods stores that were out of 9mm, but had .40 S&W. I like to have options. I carry 9, 40 or 45 with equal confidence.

Either choice will be good. More ammo will make you more proficient with your 19, but a new .45 would be nice too.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Some people hunt with their pistol, or carry in the woods ,do you want to face a bear with a 9mm.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Ive been having a similar contemplation....But I have pretty much decided to get the ammo. what kills me is you can spend $1000 on a .45 and no matter what you have a nice .45 (assuming its never stolen) but if you spend $1000 on ammo eventually you'll have $1000 worth of empty brass. Sucks
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

At the moment I have multiple guns in the same caliber. I find that having the same grips and triggers, in different barrel lenghts, is a great way to get proficient with your weapon. I like Colt 1911's, so I lean towards the .45 caliber. As far as ammo goes, I just stay on the lookout everywhere I go. To my way of thinking, it's easier to keep track of what you need when all you have to do is buy one kind. I agree with the 870 for the house.
    Oh, and I think everybody should own a 1911.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    It's good to be proficient with multiple
    tools.
    ironmike86 and 808Shogun like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    seasons change, places you go change and how you dress changes.

short of open carry, we who have to conceal need a degree of versatility.
    3 guns is basic; just my opinion born of years of need and observation

a primary for IWB under a shirt or jacket - a mid size like a sig p239 in 40 or 9mm.
    two secodnary's, on for a vest or jacket pocket---like a j frame and a small p32 or p380
    to slip in a pocket for yard work or to walk the dog.

also if one gun has to be repaired, you still have 2 options till it gets back.
    it is also good if yor training and abilities include different platforms. lots of
    reasons; give it some thought--many are self evident.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I do not understand the advantages of owning multiple caliber guns over one good gun with a sufficient amount of ammo.
    It's simple - we have the richness of choices. If you pursue gun ownership from the standpoint of enjoyment and not just utility, why not have several calibers?

I can understand planning for the apocalypse or civil unrest or bugging out - all situations in which commonality of equipment and ammo has its distinct benefits. But while I'm equipped for such an unlikely event, I'm also equipped to hunt, target shoot, train others, and generally enjoy all the facets of the shooting sports, and I do that with a wide variety of calibers and gauges.
    bmcgilvray and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's simple - we have the richness of choices. If you pursue gun ownership from the standpoint of enjoyment and not just utility, why not have several calibers?

I can understand planning for the apocalypse or civil unrest or bugging out - all situations in which commonality of equipment and ammo has its distinct benefits. But while I'm equipped for such an unlikely event, I'm also equipped to hunt, target shoot, train others, and generally enjoy all the facets of the shooting sports, and I do that with a wide variety of calibers and gauges.
    Amen The other thought for the 45 is they have been around more than 100 years ,most in use by one military or another, so it is the only other (beside 9mm) that has world wide stockpiles .
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    My main carry guns share not only the same ammo, but the same magazines (Kahr PM9 and Kahr MK9). I carry one or both, and feel that is the absolute best option of all.

There are exceptions... such as my Taurus 738 (.380) which has a sole purpose of extreme conceal-ability or when nothing else fits the bill. The other is my 'car gun' which is a S&W 642 revolver (.38 Special).

I do have a Remington 870 for home defense, but I'd be more likely to grab my Springfield XDM (also 9mm) if anything happened, simply because I can keep it closer to me (we have kids).

I'm really tempted by the XDs .45, but will probably wait for the XDs in 9mm because i do like the 9mm round and don't want to stock up on yet another caliber.

I have separate guns for the same calibers and more, but I do like the fact that in a few minutes, I can swap out the barrels and magazines on my S&W M&P 40c and also shoot 357 sig or 9mm. It's not the only pistol that can do that, but it does it very well and rather quickly, while maintaining accuracy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    Some people hunt with their pistol, or carry in the woods ,do you want to face a bear with a 9mm.
    No, I would definitely want the .308 for bear hunting.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I am appreciative.

I'm a disabled vet so I do not hunt. I'm a terrible carpenter so I have a limited tool box. I enjoy going to my local range and do so every chance I get. I am worried about America and feel that a SHTF event is closer than I ever imagined.

I would love a Colt 1911 but they are a dickens to find and would, easily, wipe out the money I've saved.

It is just my wife and me. Our children and grandchildren live 8 and 10 hours away so no need to worry about unsecured weapons unless family visits.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Thanks to everyone that has replied. I am appreciative.

I'm a disabled vet so I do not hunt. I'm a terrible carpenter so I have a limited tool box. I enjoy going to my local range and do so every chance I get. I am worried about America and feel that a SHTF event is closer than I ever imagined.

I would love a Colt 1911 but they are a dickens to find and would, easily, wipe out the money I've saved.

It is just my wife and me. Our children and grandchildren live 8 and 10 hours away so no need to worry about unsecured weapons unless family visits.

Mike
    Mike, first, a hearty Thank You! for your service. What you just added helps refine an answer to your original question. If you've got a grand to invest, I'd say get another G19 (or maybe a G17) - used would be fine - and spend the rest on ammo and training. As long as your shotgun ammo stash has buckshot and slugs, maybe some birdshot for practice, you should be fine. Don't go overboard on food for the Judge, since that's really useful at bad-breath distance and not a lot more. Your lady should be able to handle a Glock in 9mm just fine, if she can manage .410s in the Judge, so you could each have one handy if danger approaches.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links