New Store Policy: No Dry Firing!

This is a discussion on New Store Policy: No Dry Firing! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the local Gun Store today checking out an SW 99 (9mm), as a courtsey I always ask if it's OK to dry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Store Policy: No Dry Firing!

New Store Policy: No Dry Firing!

I was at the local Gun Store today checking out an SW 99 (9mm), as a courtsey I always ask if it's OK to dry fire the pistol before I do so. This time the guy tells me, "No more dry firing any pistols, the boss doesn't like it." Is this crazy or is normal? How am I supposed to evaluate the trigger pull?

2. Remove Ads

I wonder if they are afraid of damage to the merchandise or an AD? I know stores that won't take their trigger locks off. I never buy guns from them.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Most stores are like that.. The one gunshop i visit lets me do it if i ask but im well known there ..

Everyone is getting so worried about being sued

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Having worked both sides of the counter so to speak this is not unusual , and it will become more common . The policy is in place for two reasons , 1. to discurage idiots and 2. liability . I suggest you indicate your intrested in purchace NOW and the trigger pull is the make or break on your decition . Speak to the manager if the store is that big , if not the owner . The likely will find a place for you to dry fire the model in question in a safe and controled manner .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    No modern center-fire handgun or even the vast majority of modern rimfire handguns will not be harmed by dry firing.
    Sorry but, I want to test the trigger in addition to running the firearm through a visual inspection and a careful general function check before I buy.
    I would have to find another gun shop for myself.
    Just my opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I was examining a Kahr P9 at Sportsman's Warehouse last week, and asked the same question. The salesman provided a 9mm snap cap and told me to go ahead..
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    No modern center-fire handgun or even the vast majority of modern rimfire handguns will not be harmed by dry firing.
    Sorry but, I want to test the trigger in addition to running the firearm through a visual inspection and a careful general function check before I buy.
    I would have to find another gun shop for myself.
    Just my opinion on that.
    Yup, there was also a G17 today that I was VERY interested in. Now glock says on their site you can dry fire their pistols all day long. The salesman told me I could dry fire it once. Pretty weak.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The local Bass Pro Shop won't even take the trigger lock off the guns. I let them know there was no way I was going to buy a gun without dry firing the trigger. They said it was policy and there were no exceptions. No one I know will buy guns from them since that policy started.

Assistant Administrator
    I can see their angle - up to a point. But I also have to say that for many folks it is essential to be able to evaluate a trigger.

I would not be clicking away dozens of times - one or two will do - and if the gun is cleared both by the staff and myself - and then even better have a snap cap to use - there should be no problem.

Better still for stores with large inventory - might be to have demo versions available for customer dry fire test - then others remain as genuine NIB. An ideal solution which may well not for many be practicable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

+1 for snap cap

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    in someone elses words "The trigger is the gun"

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

My recent experiences have been that Gander Mountain provided a snap cap for dry firing, a local gun shop and Cabela's both simply allowed me to dry fire.

I'd not purchase a handgun without the experience of dry firing it, so any shop that doesn't permit it won't see any of my cash sliding across the counter! They make their choices and I make mine.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    My recent experiences have been that Gander Mountain provided a snap cap for dry firing, a local gun shop and Cabela's both simply allowed me to dry fire.

I'd not purchase a handgun without the experience of dry firing it, so any shop that doesn't permit it won't see any of my cash sliding across the counter! They make their choices and I make mine.

Ditto on that, It's like buying a car without looking under the hood or going for a test drive, YOU JUST DON'T DO IT!

Yup, trigger is make or break for me. Every gun shop I have been to in OR has let me dry fire.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    The local Bass Pro Shop won't even take the trigger lock off the guns. I let them know there was no way I was going to buy a gun without dry firing the trigger. They said it was policy and there were no exceptions. No one I know will buy guns from them since that policy started.
    Is this the one in Dania beach? I had the same "issue" with them. But you know what? Their prices are well over the other shop around the corner so I don't buy from them anyway?
    It's their store, so they set their own rules. Gotta live by it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links