Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Glock's simplicity, both in operation and disassembly, combined with its price tag and out-of-the-box reliability are what ultimately caused me to replace my edc ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

VIP Member
    The Glock's simplicity, both in operation and disassembly, combined with its price tag and out-of-the-box reliability are what ultimately caused me to replace my edc 1911 with it.
    DRM likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I am a 1911 guy who now carrys a Glock.

Why?

Because I was able to purchase a couple of Gen 3 glocks for $450 each brand new. They have more capacity which means I don't have to carry spare mags ( while it is a good idea to have at least two, but save that for another topic). They fit my hand good and I can shoot them well, there are plenty of holsters new and used on the market for the Glocks, AND.... if I have to use it the LE or DA may never return it to me. I would rather part with 450 than over 1000. I just have more guns to clean when I return from the range.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have both and I shoot both. I have been in tense situations many different times during my almost 70 yrs. of life so I know how I react mentally and physically. My life style dictates my only chance in a shooting situation would be with a revolver or semi with no external, manipulative safeties. Glock is the best of the best for me. I probably don't train or put in as much range time as those who feel completely comfortable with the 1911 platform. For EDC I want only to have to pull a trigger.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Why Glocks? Why NOT? I love 1911's like the next guy does, but they are heavy. Glocks remain accurate, clean or dirty.

No External Safety (dont have to worry about bulkiness)
    Large Capacity
    Light Weight
    Has internal safeties
    You can find millions of accessories for them
    Gen 4 models come with 3 mags. (always a good thing)

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

For me,I already had Glocks before joining the USMC,After reaching E5, I was giving the oportunity to carry an M9,after my first TOD in 02 to A-Stan, and watching this gun run refuse to work if not "Babied",I refused to carry it anymore,my 2nd TOD to Iraq in 03-04 I had the op to carry the G21,H&K .45,or MEUSOC 1911,because most of my team chose the 1911 I did also,with all the very fine sand,almost like talcom powder,it was'nt long before we started to have FTF,and the hammers would start to follow the slides,the armorers said the sand was "Polishing the sear" away,so I turned my 1911 in for the G21,I carried the 21 for the rest of that TOD and my next,it was carried in my Safariland drop leg,we removed all lubricant from our guns,for obvious reasons,neither I nor the other members ever had a minutes trouble with our G21's.

Now that being said,some people will say,Well,I'll never be in that situation,O.K.,but for example,a local P.D. Officer was attacked as he approached a vehicle by a drunk who exited his vehicle with a .22 Marlin Rifle ,the Officer took cover in drainage ditch as the man started firing on the Officer ,the officer was so covered in mud that his Uncle Mikes holster would not disengage the first two times,he was finally able to get it to release the weapon,witch had mud,grass and whatever else was in there,fired his weapon 7 times,striking the man 4 times ,The Officers G22 never malfunctioned,I have seen the pictures of the Officer immediately after the shooting,and his entire body is brown,you cannot tell he is wearing khaki pants and o.d green polo.Would other guns have worked,maybe,but as long as I have been around the Glock platform,I have never known of anyone saying I could'nt stay in the fight because my Glock would'nt go bang.JMTCW.
    mano3, 10thmtn, DRM and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    No 500 round break in?
    No external safety?
    Weight?
    Reliability/reputation?

Let the games begin!
    ok..ok...ok (in my best Joe Pesci immitation) I'm with you right up to reputation. Glock has a great reputation, but it in no way can compare to, let alone superscede the 100 year reputation of the 1911. I'm not choosing the 1911 over the Glock, in fact I got no dog in this fight, but lets not get carried away.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Have both

Love both

Carry Glock.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

What you have to ask yourself why does glock 62% of the market? I have two; I liked the first one so much I bought a second. Now the dilemma is which one is my EDC the g23 or the g26

I appreciate the good posts - lots of food-for-thought. The reliability factor is a big issue for me, especially after dealing with my Taurus PT-145's magazine feeding problems.

BTW: I'm proud of the folks here not getting carried away, as I know this is can be a touchy issue!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Once you go Glock you always rock.

I just made that up. : )
    mano3 likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

My glocks have ridden with my on dusty trails, been filled with sand and dirt and always gone bang. I haven't cleaned my G17 to see how reliable it really is. Bone dry, covered in sand and fine desert dirt, 110 degrees in the shade, and it still goes bang... every time. I haven't found a more reliable, trustworthy companion in all of my years of shooting. Some people hate them and that is cool. They have the right to their opinions. My glocks? They have proven themselves beyond a shadow of a doubt in both hot and cold and in dirty, dusty, nasty, muddy climates and situations and never once failed me. that is enough for me. i don't carry them for self defense as often anymore, but if the need arises and I have to grab one handgun to go towards the trouble, I am taking one of the glocks.
    kerberos, Mike1956 and AZJD1968 like this.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Why Glock? No switches, no glitches, no bitches.

Although I can shoot my Custom 1911's better, the G-Lock just carries better for me. That and I can neglect it, abuse it and use it for breaking up cement blocks.

mano3 and Mike1956 like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

VIP Member
    Because I spent less on it, I don't care if it gets scuffed up in my holster.

I think I'm seeing the light...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links