Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mano3 I think I'm seeing the light... Careful...don't sip the Kool-aid...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I think I'm seeing the light...
    Careful...don't sip the Kool-aid
    mano3 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Glock Kool-Aid is not to be sipped...

It must be chugged!
    DRM, Guest1 and atctimmy like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Sponsor
    Glock Kool-Aid is not to be sipped...It must be chugged!
    Right, and it must be drunk from a dirty glass!!

It's the M1911 Cool Aid that is made for sipping and to be enjoyed with a fine cigar.
    kerberos and Guest1 like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

My police chief and her husband both carry Glocks, as well as most of the cops on the local force. That's a tell-all right there!
    Toorop likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Why Glock?

Good question.

never had a failure of any kind in my Glocks over the past 17 years.....now on my 4th Glock 19, 3rd Glock 26 and now have quite a Glock family. No matter the caliber, the outcome is always the same.
    Perfect performance. Plenty reason to carry one.
    Toorop and AZJD1968 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I have both the G21 and a SA Loaded 1911. Both are good guns and fun to shoot. The G21 has 5 more rounds on board (13+1 v 8+1), it is lighter and has fewer complications. Further, if you drop my SA Loaded 1911, it might go bang - not likely, but possible. If you drop the G21, all you do is mess up the finish - maybe. There are internal safeties in the Glock that prevent the firing pin from getting to the primer unless you pull the trigger. The G21 also fits my hand much better. I just have G21 sized hands.

Now, I also own a G30. For CC, I prefer the G30 with its 10+1 and an additional G21 mag. This splits the difference on the capacity, but it is easier than either the G21 or 1911 to carry concealed - for me.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    First off - I love the .45 ACP round. That said, I've been shopping around for a full sized 1911; I like the style of the weapon and its heritage. I've fired my Marine buddy's WW1 weapon and it was heaven!

Then last night after the neighborhood watch meeting, my buddy shows me his new Glock 21 in .45 ACP. After clearing it, he let me handle it and showed me all the features. I must say I was intrigued - it was light and simple to operate and the 13+1 capacity was nice as well.

I know there's a ton of Glock folks on this forum. What is 'it' about Glocks? Why should I consider a Glock over a traditional 1911?
    Well the Glock carries 13+1 and the 1911 does not. It is also easy to work on and they are accurate enough. Not to mention they are tough as nails and you don't have to worry about dropping it. They are also ugly and if they get scratched, I don't worry about it.

Glocks have to grow on you!
    I used to hate them...would never have one of them "Bricks", errrr, Glocks.
    Then I met the Glock-36...I was super impressed.
    Then I took the Glock Armorer Course and learned all about the history and simplicity.
    Now I own 5 Glocks.

To each his own. There are many fine guns out there, and it's a personal decision.
    The Glock line is mine!
    Guest1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I finally fell to all the peer pressure and bought the great Glock 19. Brand new Gen 4.

I shot it for the first time yesterday. 90 rounds, 2 jams and took lots of wicked brass to the dome!!! Some of the brass barely made it out of the ejection port and some even ejected to the left...

I was accurate with it though. I can see myself growing to like it. Pretty sure it will never replace my edc but I did like it more than I thought I would.

The only other pistol I have owned that jammed on me was a beautiful 1911...

"I finally fell to all the peer pressure..."

Why Glock?

I think the above statement says the obvious.

Because everybody else is doing it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    I finally fell to all the peer pressure and bought the great Glock 19. Brand new Gen 4.

I shot it for the first time yesterday. 90 rounds, 2 jams and took lots of wicked brass to the dome!!! Some of the brass barely made it out of the ejection port and some even ejected to the left...

I was accurate with it though. I can see myself growing to like it. Pretty sure it will never replace my edc but I did like it more than I thought I would.

The only other pistol I have owned that jammed on me was a beautiful 1911...
    What ammo were you using?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What ammo were you using?
    115g UMC FMJ. I had read about these problems before I bought it. Unfortunately I got one of them. Ejector #336.

Yeap,send it in and you'll get the 30274 ejector and the 15 degree extractor,Glock learned a valuable lesson on this .
    Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    115g UMC FMJ. I had read about these problems before I bought it. Unfortunately I got one of them. Ejector #336.
    DRM likes this.

Administrator
    Me being a 1911 person - My advice to you is that if you have handled and shot a GLOCK 21 .45ACP & you like it then buy one for yourself. Certainly you're not going to limit yourself to only one handgun for the rest of your life so buy a 1911 later on should you ever decide that you want one. The 1911 is not going anywhere and you'll still be able to buy one 20 30 40 years from today.

One thing that I DO take issue with in an above post is that a 1911 does not require a 500 round BREAK IN period.

One manufacturer and that would be Kimber "suggests" a 500 round "break in" before purchasers start complaining that their particular Kimber is not functioning properly. And that would only be if a particular shooter has a Kimber that is experiencing function related problems and the majority of Kimber owners have no such problems thus do not need the break in period.
    Certainly COLT does not suggest or recommend any break in period.
    DRM likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links