Why Glock? - Page 4

Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My top two favorite handgun manufactures are Glock and Sig. But I also love a good 1911. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

My top two favorite handgun manufactures are Glock and Sig. But I also love a good 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    I finally fell to all the peer pressure and bought the great Glock 19. Brand new Gen 4.

I shot it for the first time yesterday. 90 rounds, 2 jams and took lots of wicked brass to the dome!!! Some of the brass barely made it out of the ejection port and some even ejected to the left...

I was accurate with it though. I can see myself growing to like it. Pretty sure it will never replace my edc but I did like it more than I thought I would.

The only other pistol I have owned that jammed on me was a beautiful 1911...
    In addition to the extractor and ejector that Glockrocker mentioned, make sure you've got the "dot" connector and "043" recoil spring.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    In addition to the extractor and ejector that Glockrocker mentioned, make sure you've got the "dot" connector and "043" recoil spring.
    "dot connector". Can you explain this. I'm not familiar with that.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Yeap,send it in and you'll get the 30274 ejector and the 15 degree extractor,Glock learned a valuable lesson on this .
    Would Glock send me the new extractor and ejector so I didn't have to send pistol in?

Administrator
    Let's not get too sidetracked away from the original post.
    Thanks.

VIP Member
    Maybe it is because Glock's are idiot proof.......at least until time to clean them, then the idiots manage to have a ND!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Mano, I started the concealed carry journey last April. After considerable research and reading on this forum, I purchased a Gen 4 G19. I love it. I've not had any issues.

I've been considering a 45 (Colt 1911 or G 36). I've saved $1,000 and started a similar thread Advantage of owning multiple caliber

I deal with AtlanticTatical because they discount for LEO and Military. I'd really like a 45 but, currently, they do not have a G 36. For me, the 30 is a little too big. I think I'm going to get a G26 and 1,000 rounds of ammo. I'll start saving again for a 45 and if I can find a 36 or Colt 1911 then I'll have another decision.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

The Glock Model 30 will deliver 1 inch groups at 25 yards with match ammunition.

Indestructable.

Will run even when totally dry, though proper lubrication is highly recommended.

Very low perceived recoil due to the flexing polymer frame and the wide back strap.

Very low parts count.

Super easy to repair if anything breaks. Most gunsmiths stock all the necessary parts for any repair.

Superb factory support. No matter what the problem is, the factory will fix it, usually for free.

Same user interface as a revolver; just pull the trigger. No levers, no knobs, no buttons, no bells, no whistles to manipulate before you can get off a shot to save your life when fractions of a second count.

Ugly; no need to worry that someone will steal it because it is pretty.
    mano3 likes this.

I'm a Glock advocate (G17, G19, G32) for CCW, but for full size .45acp I like the Sig P220 even though an 8rd mag. Shot a friend's and felt nice in my hand and hit what I aimed at. Can't go wrong with any Glock though. Never handled a G21 but specs say fully loaded weight is 38oz. About the weight of an empty 1911.

I sold my Goldcup. Good gun but too heavy now for CCW (I'm older) and did not want to carry cocked and locked anymore.

OP, and I say this while wearing a G36, if you liked the feel of the Glock grip, just wait until you try handling a S&W M&P. I've got an M&P45c sitting at my FFL now, waiting on me to get home and pick it up.

Nothing wrong at all Glocks, and I've owned 4 of them (17,19,23,& 36) over the past few years, but that M&P just feels so much better in my hands. Try one of those also, you might be happier with it. If not, I'd definitely look into either a G36 or G30 for your carry needs.

Oh, and just for the record, my next handgun will definitely be a G29sf. I've got to get my hands on a 10mm sometime before I die.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "I finally fell to all the peer pressure..."

Why Glock?

I think the above statement says the obvious.

Because everybody else is doing it.
    When that "everyone else" includes a major cross-section of armed professionals from coast to coast and around the world, that should tell a thinking man something.

Personally, I'm more of a "substance over style" type of guy. Much as I'd like to have a nice shiny 1911 to play with at the range, I'd no sooner waste money on one for defensive purposes than I would buy a 24k gold plated hammer.

1911's are what you show your friends. Glocks are what you show your enemies.
    DRM likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK real answer: Because in the 80s Glock revolutionized what to expect out of a pistol. Size, weight, capacity, firepower, reliability all were out of this world. The G17's biggest rival at the time was the BHP and it blew the BHP away. The Glock was so far ahead of it's peers that it took until around 2005(ish) when S&W launched the M&P for them to have a serious rival in the market.

Think about that for a minute. Glock dominated the market for close to 25 years, that's how good they were/are. They were/are so good that Glock only needed to make a few cosmetic changes to the original design for a quarter of a century.

Time and the market has caught up to them though and Glock has been forced to compete with some other very fine pistols. As for me, I still say go Glock!
    So true. My primary carry from late 70's to mid/late 80's was a Belgian BHP. Nice gun at the time it was developed and did establish the tilting barrel locked breech (non-swinging link) design. Major headache was that it would not reliably feed most of the aggressive hollowpoints available at the time. Had to use the Remington 115JHP bullet with the good ogive but little hollowpoint. Otherwise, FMJ. Got a used G17 through a friend a couple of years after they came out. Fed everything and kept shooting even if not cleaned often. Sold the BHP later. I still have that 1st gen G17. The most astounding thing to me at that time was that fully loaded, it only weighed 32oz. Yet shot very well. Great engineering.

no man's land between Montana and Alberta
    Once you go Glock you never go back. I'm not saying that in support of Glock, they actually have one distinguishing feature that I absolutely can not stand: Grip angle.

While nearly every other gun on the market mimics the 1911 grip angle, Glock felt the need to make a pistol with a steeper angle. Physically, I can't say if it is better or worse to have to angle your wrist more downward. What can say is wrong with it, is that people who develop the instinct to shoot with one, struggle with the other. I have coworkers who transitioned from G17 to HK P2000 who still struggle with this years after switching. Once you've developed the muscle memory on a Glock, drawing most other pistols results in the front sight dipping so low that it is hidden below the rear of the slide. Similarly people who are used to shooting "standard" angled pistols may complain that the Glock is always pointing at the sky.

Most shooters who struggle with Glock, or struggle outside of Glock don't realize this, but will typically say "something just doesn't feel right". It's a big part of the reason why a majority of the opinions about Glock are so polarized.

FWIW: my EDC is a HK USP45, 12+1 of the above mentioned 45acp rounds, with a more standard (maybe conventional is the better word?) grip angle. If I were in the market for a newer pistol, though, I'd probably go with the M&P.

Two words. Idiot mark. Can't happen with a glock. I could break down my glock to bbl, slide, guide rod, and frame-- then put it back together before most people have their 1911 broken down to similar degree.
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

Out of the box, my Glocks were ready to "rock n roll"...Besides, 4 pages of "I love my Glock" comments can't be all wrong...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links