Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why not? We've heard what folks like about Glocks. What do you dislike about them?...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

Sponsor

Question Why Glock?

Why not?

We've heard what folks like about Glocks. What do you dislike about them?
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Because when I take all different kinds of guns to a combat match and consistantly get my best times and best hit % with the glock I can't think of any reason not to carry and keep my glocks. I will always have wheel guns and 1911's and a couple others but for combat or carry it's a glock for me.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

wowzers

63 posts in a boot 48hrs is that a record

DRM and mano3 like this.

Yeah, it's downright embarrassing. Such a cheap, mediocre synthesis of a design and yet so much idolization.

The "thinking man's gun" huh. If there is a gun of the sheeple, the followers, the folks who want to be like everyone else than ya' just can't beat Glock.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; March 16th, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Well...

I was a pretty big Glock guy; owned 8 or so of 'em, in 9mm, 10mm, and .45acp...

But, I started shooting 1911's again, and I found out how much better I shot with a 1911.

So, I sold most of my Glocks (down to 2 now; a G21 and a G34), bought a real nice 1911, and couldn't be happier.

Now, to the OP's question: what are the benefits of the G21?

Mainly, there aren't a whole lot of 1911's that have the same features as the Glock 21 for the same price as a Glock 21--that is, the high capacity, reliability, a rail (if that's desired), easily replaceable sights...

The Glock 21 is a good pistol, no doubt about it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Why not?

Short answer....nothing. I could elaborate on the efficiency, simplicity and reliability of my 2 Glocks but that's already been done well in the thread. Speaking for my Glocks 17 and 19,...What's not to like?

Senior Moderator
    My thoughts: What You Are Used To VS What Fits Your Needs

I'm no Glock Fanboy and while I love the 1911, when it comes to carry I'm a firm believer in getting and carrying what fits your needs.

There will be a lot of people here arguing about THEIR opinions of one gun vs the other but what do YOU think? Why should you consider the Glock over the 1911 or vic versa. After all, you are the one who's going to have to carry it and fight with it. In that moment, do you think it's going to matter one bit what someone posted on a gun forum?

Use your brain, take away your ego and emotions and make a good judgment between the two as to what will fit your needs.

Why Glock? For the same reason the 1911 ruled...it ain't pretty, but it works! Either one will fit the bill, but the Glock is lighter and no safety. I love both, but now usually carry the Glock. 5 years ago, I would have shot myself with one for saying that.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Why not?

Well...since you asked. It's not a popular position to take but I don't like Glocks at all and here's why.

I could abide others choosing a Glock if the fanboys didn't constantly and endlessly chirp about the "wonders of Glock" and its purportedly singular ability to be reliable and simple to use. Hearing and reading all the extolling of Glock as if it is settled fact that the pistol resides on a uniquely higher plane over all other handgun designs got tiresome a decade or more ago. It is definitely not better than than every other handgun design ever produced but only one choice among many equally good (and sometimes better) choices. No handgun is more overrated than the Glock. Armed professionals are frequently stuck with whatever is procured for them and what is procured is frequently obtained by taking the lowest bid rather than the best product for the purpose. Thoughtful people don't embrace anything just because "the crowd" is doing it. In fact that's the very best reason not to take a decision. The bulk of television commercials are the results of costly marketing studies to determine what sort of advertising message will reach the most people. Most commercials are insipid, stupid, and insulting so what does that say about their market? Our current dysfunctional government and its wretched policies is the direct result of the voting wishes of the people. No, it isn't a thoughtful person who does what "everybody else" does.

When I was young I loved 1911s and enjoyed shooting those that other family members owned. The gun rags of the day were saturated with all things 1911 and how to customize it to make it "better." Custom 1911s seemed to reach a fevered pitch by the late 1960s and continued well into the 1970s. Anyone who has access to the Guns & Ammo annuals from 1970 to about 1974 can see examples of this overdosing on the 1911. The 1911 became overrated during this time. I became heartily sick of reading about 1911 stuff back at a time when I was young and enthusiastically consuming everything in print concerning firearms, even though I acquired my first 1911 in 1978. I think the 1911 design's reputation was ultimately damaged by the wretched excess that this customizing initiated. It was a case of "follow the crowd" back then too. The design was popular. Patents had expired and everybody and their dog started manufacturing Colt clones and then tweaking the design to the whims of the various makers. An opportunity to make money selling modified components marketed as "necessary" for the 1911 grew into a firmly entrenched cottage industry that still afflicts us today.

The Glock is an amalgamation of earlier design features all wrapped up in plastic, a feature Glock popularized but didn't actually originate. Its most important and useful features, including the trigger safety, may be seen to originate prior to World War II. It's not as new and improved as its proponents think it is but is the fortuitous result of combining and tweaking earlier useful designs and all conceived to be manufactured more inexpensively. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily translate to cheap. In the Glock's case, inexpensive means it is attainable by more shooters and this has to be considered a good thing. A Glock will accomplish most anything required of a handgun geared for personal self defense.

What the Glock is not though, is infallible. The Glock of internet-gun-forumland isn't the Glock of the average gun range and doesn't really exist. Glocks do balk, choke, and hark on occasion and they can have "indigestion" with ammunition they don't like, same as any other semi-auto pistol design. They can have magazine issues or break on occasion. They don't always suffer neophyte shooters, and their disproportionately high expectations, gladly. Drinking too much Glock Kool-Aid in ignorance can cause a new shooter to founder. Within the past few months, right here on Defensive Carry Forum, a member posted that ammunition shot through a Glock was more powerful than the same ammunition fired in any other pistol and that an increase of 200-300 fps may be expected. Glocks don't have this capability to impart more power to ammunition and that's one example of becoming over-enthusiastic about a product. Forum posts have also shown that Glocks are worshiped for their "fine fit and finish." A Holland & Holland double rifle, Purdy side-by-side shotgun, classic Griffin & Howe custom '03 sporter rifle, pre-war Winchester, Colt, or Smith & Wesson exhibits fine fit and finish, Glocks do not and using such a phrase to describe them is just ignorant. Glock accuracy has been championed but accuracy is a relative thing and a Glock pistol has no special attributes in that regard. Glocks aren't for everybody. and some Glock owners could be better served with something else.

Personal Opinion

Glocks are fine...for someone else. There is very little about them that I like. I'm contemptuous of Glock pistols but this is admittedly mostly a result of reading the altogether excessively misplaced Glock adulation on firearms forums by the obvious fanboys. Despite recognizing that there are handgunners posting in this very thread who could shoot my pants off with their Glocks, including some members I respect highly, there's nothing like a Glock to generally say newby, neophyte, a "follower of the crowd" who wants to be like "everybody else." This is odd as most people strive to achieve an appearance of individualism.

I've never owned a Glock but I've shot them a lot over the years. Especially the 17 and 22. A relative left a Glock 22 here at the house for storage along with some other handguns when he moved a few years back so that he wouldn't lose all if his primary place of storage was pilfered. It stayed here over a year and he invited me to shoot it. I think he was attempting to make me into a convert.

Didn't happen. It was not inspiring to shoot at the range even though I'm interested in the .40 S&W. I like to shoot most anything that goes "bang" but there are more satisfying handguns to shoot. Here are things that are annoying about Glock pistols.

The highly touted Glock trigger is "yuck!" Feels spongy and is less than positive. It's easy to make hits with a Glock with familiarization but I don't intend to learn to like such a trigger. The "safe-action" lever is silliness and only good for those who whine that: "They have to have it simple for they might not be able to do it when the chips are down." Personally, I'd be embarrassed to admit that I'm too inept to use anything other than a Glock when I'm perfectly capable of doing so. Where there's smoke there's fire and I believe there is a kernel of truth to negligent discharges concerning Glocks. Also, it's a funny thing how folks embrace the silly Glock trigger then go about with modifications trying to lighten it to make it more single-action like. I want a single-action with a safety but also feel the the SA/DA designs have received short shrift in recent years and should be used in place of the DAO type designs.

The highly touted light weight of Glock pistols is overrated. They are ill-balanced and feel distinctly top heavy with their steel slides atop a plastic wrapped metal frame. Also, I don't like lightweight pistols so this is no positive attribute for me. I think the shooting public is ill-served in the scramble to acquire ever lighter handguns.

The Glock grip angle is unsatisfying. Actually this isn't a deal-breaker in my view for I can adapt to various grip angles. It does bother others enough to be frequently mentioned in comparative discussions.

Aesthetics are horrible! Hi-Point pistols are roundly ridiculed for their looks but I see absolutely no difference between a Glock's and a Hi-Point's appearance (this applies to any of several other popular handguns). Glocks are plug-ugly and I'm not required to shoot an ugly gun. Plastic looks as cheap as it is cheap to mold in production and I want no part of plastic guns. The tasteless blocky, squared off slide is offputting and adds unnecessary bulk. I can enjoy complete reliability from other designs and am willing to depend on them through good times and bad. I won't be "bugging out" with a Glock if "push comes to shove" and a societal breakdown occurs. I'll get by just fine too.

I blathered on above to say this. A person who likes his Glocks honestly and realistically is one thing but when a person is bleating on, being a fanboy on a forum about all things Glock and their wonderfulness, "drink the Kool-Aid" and all that; realize that everybody doesn't accept that notion and they have good reason not to. You're not going to convert them and are doing a disservice to the uninitiated. To paraphrase a popular statement: In my house I'll show Colts, Smith & Wessons and Hi-Powers to both my friends and any enemies. I'll show Glocks the door.
    multistage likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Couldn't agree less^^^. They work for me and I did not care for them for about 30+ years
    Vaquero 45 likes this.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

OD*
    Now you've done it, Bryan!

Excellent post though, and I do own two Glocks, so it ain't 1911 bias nor ego (as IF only 1911 owners "have their egos wrapped-up in their pistols").
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Some thoughts about grip angle.

Disclaimer: I've shot hundreds of thousands of rounds out of the 1911 over a 30+year career, and it always hits what I'm looking at.

Glocks, grip angles, instinctive shooting, condition black, high stress shooting, natural grip angle
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Yeah OD*;

I was thinking of you and wmhawth, LimaTunes, azchevy, retsupt99, Glockman10mm, WHEC724, Consiglio, along with more others than can come to mind when I mentioned those who could shoot well and who obviously came by their Glock appreciation deliberately and honestly.

OD*
    I don't understand why some feel it has to be one or the other, Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, revolvers, whatever.

I just like GUNS man!
    mano3 and wmhawth like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Look out bmcgilvray, he's coming for you!!!

Just kidding sir!

Hope you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest.
    Attached Images
    mano3 likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links