Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "I just like GUNS man! " I do to for the most part. Even lowly H&R .22 revolvers can be a blast. It's just the ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

"I just like GUNS man! "

I do to for the most part. Even lowly H&R .22 revolvers can be a blast. It's just the "gun du jour" notion of conventional wisdom among enthusiasts and when "their beauty and their style goes kinda smooth after a while," whatever firearm it may be.

"Hope you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest."

Hah, it was a sort of "ahhh..." moment.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "I just like GUNS man! "

I do to for the most part. Even lowly H&R .22 revolvers can be a blast. It's just the "gun du jour" notion of conventional wisdom among enthusiasts and when "their beauty and their style goes kinda smooth after a while," whatever firearm it may be.

"Hope you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest."

Hah, it was a sort of "ahhh..." moment.
    Gotta agree, I really dislike the "fan-boy" mentality, regardless if they're 1911 fans, Glock fans, Sig fan H&H fans, well, you get the idea.

Believe me, I LOTHED the Glockenspiels for many, many years, until I started shooting a friend's Glock sorta regularly. Now there are two of those abominations in the safes.
    bmcgilvray, mano3 and DRM like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Wow bmcgilvray - what a post! I get your point and it's one of the reasons I started this post. The super-pro Glock folks treat the weapon like a religion and I was wondering why.

Granted, the Glock style of pistols is different from a classic 1911 and most of the posters here have given great testimonies for and against each. I still haven't fired a Glock yet and I know that will make a huge difference.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Gotta admit... I love my Glock...

However, I have more respect for my 1911.

May have something to do with both of my grandfathers telling me a 1911 saved their hides in WWII.

Guess you could say if it weren't for the 1911, I might not be here.
    mano3 and DRM like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

You might say that if Glocks were around in the early 40's, there might even be MORE grandkids around. Just a thought
    kerberos and Vaquero 45 like this.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Hi mano3;

A side-by-side firing comparison of a Glock 21 .45 ACP and full sized 1911 would be instructive when you can manage it. Something I should have mentioned in favor of the Glock guns is that they are very well-behaved with regards to recoil. Their wide grip frames along with the plastic itself redistributes and cushions recoil well.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    You might say that if Glocks were around in the early 40's, there might even be MORE grandkids around. Just a thought
    You sir, are hilarious....
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I don't understand why some feel it has to be one or the other, Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, revolvers, whatever.

I just like GUNS man!
    Exactly. There's room in my heart for more than one. I was late getting around to Glocks, and in fact, when they came on the scene some 25 years ago I simply didn't take them very seriously and didn't have much interest. I'm now a veteran of 1 1/2 years of Glock ownership and a confirmed fan. But, hey, last week I brought home a new Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm and love that gun too. And old revolvers.....As a wise man once said: "I just like GUNS man!"
    OD* likes this.

Sponsor

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Gotta agree, I really dislike the "fan-boy" mentality, regardless if they're 1911 fans, Glock fans, Sig fan H&H fans, well, you get the idea.

Believe me, I LOTHED the Glockenspiels for many, many years, until I started shooting a friend's Glock sorta regularly. Now there are two of those abominations in the safes.
    I never liked nor disliked the G-Locks, I just kinda tolerated them. But then my wife traded her Custom S&W revolver (one that I built her which was a beautiful & slick piece of work ) for a new G19 (by the way I just recently forgave her for that! ).

Well, I finally figured out that we should both be using the same gun for EDC. So, I started customizing them to suit ME. Now I'm doing more custom G-Locks than 1911's (or so it seems anyway ).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    But then my wife traded her Custom S&W revolver (one that I built her which was a beautiful & slick piece of work ) for a new G19 (by the way I just recently forgave her for that! ).
    Oh my! That ought to be legal grounds for divorce.

My wife believes all the propaganda spouted off around the house here and likes her Smith & Wesson revolvers and 1911 automatics. She wouldn't do that to me...

I hope.

I see you're located close to Williamsburg, Virginia. Been in Virginia on occasion but never have gone to Williamsburg. We've both long wanted to spend some time there. Intended to make a trip there on our 25th wedding anniversary. It's one of those "get a round tuit" moments and 8 more anniversaries have slipped by and we still haven't made it up there.
    DRM likes this.

They are ALL great guns in their own right. I will never get rid of my 1911s or S&Ws or Colts in favor of a Glock, nor will I do the reverse. I carry them all at different times, but have come to throw a Glock in the mix more often than not, just because I trust it and don't worry about the finish. Unless it fails me,... Glocks rock.
    wmhawth likes this.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Why Glock? Because Gunny says so!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Well, I finally figured out that we should both be using the same gun for EDC.
    I agree 100%, I think it's a wise course to follow.
    DRM likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

The only problem I have with my 1911, is that you have a tendancy to like them above everything else, and, make'em too dang pretty to carry around and get banged up.
    Thats why I am now looking for another one to tote, and get sweaty and dirty. With my Glock, which is as good a defensive piece as any, I just put it on and dont worry about it. After all, they are a dime a dozen, and dont rust.

A good S&W K frame or Colt 1911 are those guns that are a joy to own and shoot. Fully capable of doing anything that a Glock can do. Its just that I value them more
    and want to take better care of them.
    OD* likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I like Glocks because they represent a good balance of factors for my concealed carry and close range self defense (not target range capability). They are light, hi-cap, simple/fast to get into action, durable, all parts simply replaced without fitting (vs. between various 1911s), and fairly priced. If shooting in the rain, I don't worry about it getting drenched or having to dry it off. Any accidental drop, it's a second thought. They have so many models/sizes and chamberings to choose from too depending on anyone's preference. If you have several models, the triggers and grip feel are identical.

Yeah, they're ugly and might not feel right for everyone. I got used to the grip angles/placement and feel muzzle flip is reduced. Yeah, the trigger is not precise and clean but for close range, good enough. Kind of think of them as Craftsman tools versus Snap On. They work for practical applications.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links