Why Glock?

This is a discussion on Why Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off - I love the .45 ACP round. That said, I've been shopping around for a full sized 1911; I like the style of ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why Glock?

Question Why Glock?

First off - I love the .45 ACP round. That said, I've been shopping around for a full sized 1911; I like the style of the weapon and its heritage. I've fired my Marine buddy's WW1 weapon and it was heaven!

Then last night after the neighborhood watch meeting, my buddy shows me his new Glock 21 in .45 ACP. After clearing it, he let me handle it and showed me all the features. I must say I was intrigued - it was light and simple to operate and the 13+1 capacity was nice as well.

I know there's a ton of Glock folks on this forum. What is 'it' about Glocks? Why should I consider a Glock over a traditional 1911?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Oh no. Here we go...

I don't feel particularly biased toward one over the other. I love both platforms, and each have their strengths. Here's a thought...

If I'm going out in the woods to do a little recreational shooting on a bright sunny day, I'll likely bring my pristine Springfield 1911. The 1911 is my hands-down favorite auto-loader to shoot.

If it's raining, and I know I'm gonna get soaked sitting in the woods waiting for that phantom buck to show up, the Glock is going to be my sidearm. If it's 105 degrees and I'm going to be working outside and sweating a river, I'll have the Glock.

This isn't to say that the 1911 can't take a beating. I'm just saying that I'd rather beat on a Glock.
    claude clay likes this.

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    it was light and simple to operate and the 13+1 capacity was nice as well.
    You answered your own question. The Glock is my daily carry for the reasons you pointed out.

I own both a Remington R1 1911, and a Glock 19. I shoot the 1911 more accurately, but if I knew I was going into a gun fight, I would grab the glock every time.

I carry the .45 when im hunting or backpacking out here in NM, since im less likely to need 15 rounds, and having the .45acp for critter control is more comforting than the 9mm.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

No 500 round break in?
    No external safety?
    Weight?
    Reliability/reputation?

Let the games begin!
    Guest1, Rotorblade and AZJD1968 like this.

VIP Member
    It's a matter of confidence. I'm more confident I'll hit exactly what needs hitting with the 1911 trigger. I'm more confident that the gun will go off each time with the Glock. Even though Glocks are cheaper, I carry the 1911. It's thinner, easier to conceal, and I can get a full hand on the same size of a two finger fat Glock.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    First off - I love the .45 ACP round. That said, I've been shopping around for a full sized 1911; I like the style of the weapon and its heritage. I've fired my Marine buddy's WW1 weapon and it was heaven!

Then last night after the neighborhood watch meeting, my buddy shows me his new Glock 21 in .45 ACP. After clearing it, he let me handle it and showed me all the features. I must say I was intrigued - it was light and simple to operate and the 13+1 capacity was nice as well.

I know there's a ton of Glock folks on this forum. What is 'it' about Glocks? Why should I consider a Glock over a traditional 1911?
    A few things come to mind:

1. Mechanical simplicity. Glocks are very easy to work on, and they are very reliable.
    2. Aftermarket support - There are tons of good options for holsters, sights, etc.
    3. Capacity - as you mention, 13+1 in .45acp is nice.

Matt
    RonCo and Old School like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    No 500 round break in?
    No external safety?
    Weight?
    Reliability/reputation?

Let the games begin!
    This is just the kind of post that gets the ball rolling!
    Guest1 and Old School like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OP: BECAUSE... JUST BECAUSE ...it's as near to a perfect handgun as you are ever going to get; at least in this life!
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I'm a 1911 Colt .45acp guy............all mine are Pre 80's and I believe them to be the best for me.

OK...........Geeeezzz........I just purchased my first Glock......30SF. Thought I would never own one.......but......who can argue with 11 rounds of .45acp......that's some Serious Business......so I took the Plunge.

Both platforms have virtues! Ultimately it comes down to how embrace them.

Because they always go bang when you pull the trigger. Reliability and utter simplicity to service.

Why a Glock 30 in .45 ACP instead of a 1911? For me:

I already own two other Glocks and am familiar with the platform
    Lower cost (especially with a LE discount)
    Higher capacity
    No thumb safety
    Lighter weight
    Smaller overall size
    Very accurate
    I like the Glock trigger, especially the reset

No offense to the 1911 folks; just sharing my reasons.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Why Glock?
    Because resistance is futile.
    NMB, WHEC724, kerberos and 6 others like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I need a gun that is absolutely reliable. I've owned dozens and dozens of different handguns and have carried a trained with a handful of them. I'll carry a 1911 from a quality manufacturer, an HK, an older Sig, an M&P or a Glock. Of those, I carry a Glock 17 daily. For me, it's what works and feels the best for carry. They point well for me, they need very little maintenance, they're very durable and they carry very well.

It's a personal choice, I just don't get emotional about it and will carrying anything that is proven reliable and I can shoot well. I just lean towards the Glock more than others.
    Old School likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    OK real answer: Because in the 80s Glock revolutionized what to expect out of a pistol. Size, weight, capacity, firepower, reliability all were out of this world. The G17's biggest rival at the time was the BHP and it blew the BHP away. The Glock was so far ahead of it's peers that it took until around 2005(ish) when S&W launched the M&P for them to have a serious rival in the market.

Think about that for a minute. Glock dominated the market for close to 25 years, that's how good they were/are. They were/are so good that Glock only needed to make a few cosmetic changes to the original design for a quarter of a century.

Time and the market has caught up to them though and Glock has been forced to compete with some other very fine pistols. As for me, I still say go Glock!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links