Slim Auto

This is a discussion on Slim Auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for suggestions on a slim auto for concealed carry. I own a XD-40 that I love, and a K.T. P3AT for summer and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slim Auto

Slim Auto

I'm looking for suggestions on a slim auto for concealed carry. I own a XD-40 that I love, and a K.T. P3AT for summer and BUG. I also have a Colt 1908 that would make a great carry gun if it weren't a .380 and an antique. I won't carry the 1908 because it has sentimental value, but I love the size. It's VERY slim with swelled wood grips. I know many will point me to a single stack 1911. What are some other alternatives for a slim gun?
    Thanks
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Since you have a Kel-tech allready and like it , the new PF9 should be out any day and it should be slim . From there the price goes up lol I like Kahrs the p series is slimmer than the k series due to polimer frame and no grip panels . the hk p7 type is slim also for pocket i hear tho i dont own one .. the roraghba or howeaver you spell it is a little piece of craftsmanship . Myself , due to the kel-tech not being out quite yet ( i may sell a gun or two and buy one if they are right and that cheap ) for myself and my needs i have settled on Kahrs , i own a couple of the ugly plastic 9mm's and they work fine , cheaper than others of imho equal quality , but still kinda spendy ... ahh well , nothing wrong with a good pistol , even if you do pay for it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Kahr P9 is my usual carry gun. That and a Tuckergunleather IWB holster and I am good to go.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    1911 or a Kahr. Thin, reliable, do the job.

Slim Gun

Kahr or 1911 are the best choices for slim guns, but a Para CCW combines the best of both platforms. Smooth DAO trigger with 1911 grip and safties. Niiiice!
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Kahr

Kahr PM9 is pretty slim......and I have a Para LDA for sale on here!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

+1 for the Kahr. Slim, small and decent caliber. I went with the MK9 as I like the all steel gun.

What caliber do you want?

You mentioned that you have an XD40 and don't like the .380 caliber of your old Colt for carry, so I am presuming that you want a gun in .40 caliber or larger. Several have already mentioned the polymer frame Kahrs, which are quite slim - the Kahr P40 has a slide width of 0.94 inches, according to the Kahr website, and the grip is about the same width:
    Kahr P40 description on Kahr website

The new Kahr P45 is also shown on the website, and has a slide width of 1.01 inches.

But in .45 or .40 calibers it is hard to beat a 1911 for thin profile. Most 1911s have a slide width of just about 0.90 inches, and a grip width (with thin panels installed) of just over 1.0 inch. If you get a 1911 with officers' size frame and a short barrel (3 to 3.5 inches) it makes a very concealable package.

The Browning High Power also has a slim slide, but a rather large grip area.

If your interested in keeping with the .380 caliber you could check out walther ppk or bersa thunder. Both are fairly slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    the hk p7 type is slim also for pocket i hear tho i dont own one.
    I own a HK P7M8 and while it is indeed slim, I do not think there are very many people who could pocket carry it. Its a great weapon to consider if you are looking for a slim pistol (& have the $$), but not for pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
    I own a HK P7M8 and while it is indeed slim, I do not think there are very many people who could pocket carry it. Its a great weapon to consider if you are looking for a slim pistol (& have the $$), but not for pocket carry.
    Unless your name is "Tiny", or "Big Red", or something like that! The fine point of the P7 is that if you run dry, you can club your opponent down.......even if he has a helmet or is hiding under a counter!
    You're alreay in .40, so here's my favorite (although mine are in 9mm)
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=55387284

Awesome little guns! As with any modified 1911 though, it may need some tweaking. Seems to run about 60/40, with the BLS line being either utterly reliable OTB, or having to go back to STI. Having said that, STI has top-notch service.

I sure like my S&W 908. Light as a Kahr, slime as a Kahr, DA/SA, reliable, and accurate. Also less expensive than a Kahr or STI. It also has a safety if you're so inclined.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Perhaps the G36?
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Kahrs are slim, and decent to shoot, but they make some lemons. Had a new P40 for a few days. Extremely picky about ammo--WWB 165 and anything 180 grain would feed about 3/4 of the time at best. Blazer Brass 165 only failed to feed once out of a box, but the slide locked back by itself twice. The extended mag fell out on recoil many times. The final straw was when the follower of the other magazine broke changing it to a one-round magazine.

I could have sent it back to Kahr, and by all accounts they would have made it good. However with so many different problems in one gun, I would never have trusted it as a carry gun.

Something Different?

Try the Beretta 9000S in 9mm...takes some getting used to...but it's a great gun...DA/SA or 'cocked & locked' SA!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links