Opinions on Sig P239 -OR- Springfield EMP for alternate carry (9mm) from who has one

Opinions on Sig P239 -OR- Springfield EMP for alternate carry (9mm) from who has one

This is a discussion on Opinions on Sig P239 -OR- Springfield EMP for alternate carry (9mm) from who has one within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is probably the 10,000th "VS" post but I have not had either and am looking for opinions from sombody who has. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Sig P239 -OR- Springfield EMP for alternate carry (9mm) from who has one

I know this is probably the 10,000th "VS" post but I have not had either and am looking for opinions from sombody who has. I am looking for another 9mm that could be used for carry. I would like it to be single stack but doesn't have to be sub-compact. Just looking for the advantages of one over the other, or disadvantages.

I currently have a S&W 5906 which is an awesome durable reliable gun but is too big for conceal (had for 20 years). I recently picked up a CM9 for carry and am looking for another 9 that is not a small as the Kahr, but not as bulky as the S&W. Would like to go with alloy frame.

Thanks.

I know this may sound funny to some but I do NOT carry my EMP. I decided after I got it to let it be a safe queen. I did put roughly 400 rounds through it without much of any trouble.

I did get (ordered) an STI Spartan III 3 inch model 9mm single stack to carry. If it is half as nice as the 5 inch it may well bump my EDC right off my hip but, only time and round count, will determine that.

I absolutely love the EMP it fits great in my hand, handles well and is a (in my eyes) a beautiful gun. There are two things that keep me from carrying it: 1 it was a gift from my wife so it deserves (code for I am scared of my wife) and secondly I am scared of my wife.

The P239 is a heavy gun for carry, I have one and usually end up carrying my MP Compact.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    The P239 is a excellent carry piece.

VIP Member
    They are two different guns. If you got the money get the EMP...... I sure love mine.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I think the EMP is a great gun, shoots and handled nicely. IMO a much nicer handgun BUT I personally do not like to carry a handgun with a safety so the Sig would be my choice. As with most threads of this type you will get my unsolicited advise for another gun. In this instance a H&K P2000sk or the slightly larger P2000.

Alloy frame, single stack 9mm

I have a P239 in 9mm and have been happy with the gun. It has the alloy frame you want, weighs about 27.5 ounces empty, and conceals easily because of the small grip and short barrel. It would be hard to improve upon this gun for a single stack, alloy frame 9mm.

Since you like S&W autos, have you considered the 3913 model, which is single stack and alloy frame? It is smaller than the S&W model you now carry. The 3913 is out of production, but you can find them used on the market.

Last edited by pogo2; March 18th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a P239 in 9mm and have been happy with the gun. It has the allow frame you want, weighs about 27.5 ounces empty, and conceals easily because of the small grip and short barrel. It would be hard to improve upon this gun for a single stack, alloy frame 9mm.

Since you like S&W autos, have you considered the 3913 model, which is single stack and alloy frame? It is smaller than the S&W model you now carry. The 3913 is out of production, but you can find them used on the market.

I like that Smith a lot. It is enarly identical to my 5906 but smaller. I will keep my eyes open for one on Gunbroker or LGS. I recently started looking at a CZ-2075 RAMI as well after seeing other posts and doing some research. Although not single stack, it is also supposed to be an excellent quality alloy frame gun. Trouble is I can't find one.

Thanks for the opinion on the P239. I felt it is on the edge of being too bulky as I am 6' 170lbs.

I'm 6' 170 also and carry the P239 all day at 3 o'clock in a VM2 no problem.
    Not any more bulky than the Smith, but the 3913 is a great choice if you're already comfortable with Smith's

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've had my EMP in 9mm for several years now. I'm embarrassed to say it has never been fired. I bought a beautiful custom IWB holster and a double mag. holder but there it sits, in my gun safe. I still consider it my most beautiful gun. Maybe it'll become a classic. I picked up my new Beretta Nano yesterday. It's actually slightly smaller than a Kel-Tec PF-9 but a tad thicker. I like the heavier feel of it which I think will reduce the recoil. I can't wait to shoot it.

What are you waiting for?? Shoot it already. They are nice looking guns.

Quote Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
    I recently started looking at a CZ-2075 RAMI as well after seeing other posts and doing some research. Although not single stack, it is also supposed to be an excellent quality alloy frame gun. Trouble is I can't find one.
    I have a Rami. I loved my CZ-75 SP-01 enough that I thought the Rami would be the perfect carry gun. It is as reliable as a tractor, never a failure, but (IMO) it is simply too wide to be a good carry gun. I have a beautiful custom HBE holster for it and they sit in the safe. The Sig 225 would be a much better choice.

I have looked for a nice S&W 3913 also. I like the look of the gray grips of the "ladysmith" and found they make a version called the NL, meaning "No Logo" (I guess for guys who don't want the word "ladysmith" on their carry piece.)

I carry a SIG P239 everyday, though mine is .40 and not 9mm. I love my P239 and wouldn't trade it for anything.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I have a Rami. I loved my CZ-75 SP-01 enough that I thought the Rami would be the perfect carry gun. It is as reliable as a tractor, never a failure, but (IMO) it is simply too wide to be a good carry gun. I have a beautiful custom HBE holster for it and they sit in the safe. The Sig 225 would be a much better choice.

I have looked for a nice S&W 3913 also. I like the look of the gray grips of the "ladysmith" and found they make a version called the NL, meaning "No Logo" (I guess for guys who don't want the word "ladysmith" on their carry piece.)
    I see the CZ-75 SP-01 is a full frame pistol where as the RAMI is considered sub-compact. I agree it may be a bit wide though. The RAMI is close to the P239 in most measurements except height where the RAMI is shorter. I will be stopping soon at Gun World to actually put them in hand to see how they feel. Ruled out the EMP due to price.

I may wait for the new Sig P938 to be available.

I've had and CCed both. If you can afford it get the EMP! Dennis
    Colt Commander 45ACP, SIG 1911 Ultra 45ACP, SIG 220 Compact Elite 45ACP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links