HK P30 in 9mm arrives and I'm not all that excited

This is a discussion on HK P30 in 9mm arrives and I'm not all that excited within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I told myself around Christmas that I need to really be practicle in 2012 and only keep guns that I will carry or shoot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: HK P30 in 9mm arrives and I'm not all that excited

HK P30 in 9mm arrives and I'm not all that excited

So I told myself around Christmas that I need to really be practicle in 2012 and only keep guns that I will carry or shoot on a regular basis. No more safe queens for me!

So far the only transaction I have not been satisfied with is a trade of my Sig P229 in .40 for an HK P30 in 9mm. I was originally looking to trade for another .40 as it is my primary carry caliber (the wife carries a 9mm though but this is way to big for her to carry). I posted some classifieds on different forums and found only one person interested in a trade. He was the opposite as me and wanted to trade off his HKs for Sigs but only had a P30 V1 in 9mm.

I figured I had nothing to loose so we traded. When the P30 came in I was excited to pick it up but was really dissapointed when I got it home.

The overall feel of the P30 grip with the small inserts is great but the rest of the gun feels cheap. The slide, trigger, decocker & mag release all feel like they were assembled for an airsoft gun or childs toy.

Honestly I should probably just go shoot it and see what I think but I'm not even all that excited to take it to the range.

I really liked the Sig but just found I was carrying my Glocks way more and thought I might like an HK to carry but now I'm kind of gloomy about the whole thing.

Maybe I will change my mind when my Supertuck arrives. Maybe I will love it after I take it to the range and try it out as a full size carry gun.

Anyone else have an HK P30 that they love?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Go shoot the crap out of it, then reevaluate. There is nothing cheap in that gun, you know that. Just a different feel than Sigs.

VIP Member
    It'll grow on ya.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

JD
    Administrator
    My P30 is growing on me. Give it some time and if you find your not happy with th DA/SA, get an LEM conversion kit.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

I really ike the lem trigger on that gun! Hope it grows on you.

VIP Member
    I was seriously thinking about getting a P30, but frankly had two big issues with every single one I have picked up and shot.

1. The long slide release is loose on every single one of them
    2. Crappy trigger for a high priced gun
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

JD
    Administrator
    I agree that the DA/SA trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but the LEM is pretty nice. I run mine SAO so it's not an issue.

Thus far the levers on mine are not loose, we'll just have to wait and see. Got a couple classes coming up this spring and will ne shooting the P30 in them.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I was seriously thinking about getting a P30, but frankly had two big issues with every single one I have picked up and shot.

1. The long slide release is loose on every single one of them
    2. Crappy trigger for a high priced gun
    I've heard quite a bit about the loose slide releases but the one on mine is snug. No rattle in it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nothing cheap about that HK. Unfamiliar? Sure

I love my P30, but for some reason can not shoot it very well......as compared to all my other pistols.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I love the feel of the P30, but the DA/SA trigger is a little mushy to me. There's a lot of take-up before the break on the SA pull. If you're used to all-steel Sigs, anything Polymer is probably going to feel a little cheap. If you like the ergos of the P30 but want a MUCH better trigger (striker fired, short, crisp reset), look at the Walther PPQ.

RockStrongo and NY27 like this.

Anyone else have an HK P30 that they love?
    Yes.
    First, the grip is perfect for my hands even with the standard inserts.
    (I thought I wanted a Sig 226, but it was way too blocky for my hand).
    The slide release is in the perfect position, not too short, like most other guns.
    The mag release is pure genius, I wish all were this simple.
    I've never had a failure to fire, even right out of the nbox.
    Cheap? Yeah, like a Mercedes is cheap.

I have the P30, and just picked up a Walther PPQ. For me, I shoot the PPQ better and prefer the striker fired trigger on it over the P30 SA/DA that I have. My primary carry is a Walther PPS, so the PPQ makes perfect sense for me. I paid $549 for my PPQ, and the P30 was in the high $700's used. Both are dead nuts reliable, and I say you give the P30 a chance.. I think you will come to really like it.

P30 is fun. Shot it enough to know I'd buy one if $$$ was free. . I considered it but I just ended up liking cz stuff more. Felt more solid like my sigs. Also shoot the ppq much better, so better options out there for my prefs.

I can not beleive it feels cheap. I have found the opposite especially when compared to other polymer handguns. It is 50/50 whether your lever will be loose, annoying but not a deal breaker. LEM or DA/SA you can send just the frame (so you can use post office) to Bill Spingfield and for $69 found trip you get a much better trigger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links