Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact - Page 2

Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact

This is a discussion on Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FWIW the Sig 239 can be bought with the DAK trigger that is not a DA/SA. I have both triggers in 239. I don't have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact

VIP Member
    FWIW the Sig 239 can be bought with the DAK trigger that is not a DA/SA. I have both triggers in 239. I don't have a M&P, I do read a lot of good comments about them and the 239 as well.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    SIG is a superior product IMO

My wife and I both have Sig P239 SAS Gen 2 pistols and several M&P's in differnt flavors. For carry, between those two, for ME the M&P would be a no-brainer! The two primary reasons would be weight and trigger system with capacity being another factor but of less importance.

To ME the two most significant criteria in "carryability" are weight and thickness. Just eyeballing them, the Sig is a bit slimmer than the M&P but it is much heavier.

About the trigger system. My first semi-auto pistols were S&W DA/SA's and then I fell in love with DA/SA Sigs. I always considered the DA/SA system pretty much ideal, a double action pull to prevent a premature first shot and a light single action pull for subsequent shots. After several high round count defensive pistols classes, in which both accuracy and speed were emphasized and scored, I have done a one-eighty. I think DA/SA introduces an unnecessary variable and am now a firm believer in picking SA or DA and then training with it until its operation is ingrained into muscle memory. Others who are emotionally and financially invested in the SA/DA-thing will, of course, disagree. As another has pointed out, the DAK trigger is available on the P239 if you lean that way.

Which ever you choose, what is important is having it when you need it and being competent in its use.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

I've never shot a 239 and I understand the initial assumption that a metal gun will usually have less recoil than a polymer gun, but the M&P9 - both full size and compact - are about the lightest recoiling 9mm's I have ever shot. Also with it's very low bore axis, they have less muzzle flip than my HK USP 9fs,

I've been looking at these two guns myself.. I currently have a M&P full size, and have never owned a Sig.

Personally I don't see capacity as much of a issue, for me at least. And if you're in MA then it won't be for you either.

The M&P is a smidge longer than the Sig. It's also got a shorter grip than the Sig. 4.3 vs 5.1. Personally.. I think 5" is the perfect length for a concealed weapon.

Both pistols are equal in width

The Sig is significantly heavier than the M&P 21.3 oz vs 29.5.

The M&P is cheaper than the Sig by about $200.
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

Things to consider:

Fit
    Weight
    Concealbility
    Price
    Round capacity
    Sights
    Trigger type/striker fire double action etc etc..
    Frame size and shape.
    Company service reputation
    Availability
    Ease of break down for cleaning.
    Holster availbility and choice
    Buying preference USA or not?

I own an M&P 9 MM and love it. I have a decent holster for it and it is very conceable. As far as Sig I own two a P238, and a
    P232 both are 380's. I have a full size Sig STX on order but I have been waiting a long time for it to come. Sig Sauer is one of the finest handgun manufacturers out there and I am a big Sig fan. They are extremely accurate also. I would say find one of each and try them out. See what you like.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    Good point . I am in ma and the da/sa sig is a better trigger out of the box and only 2 round capacity difference. Think I am going with the sig.
    In reality it's one round difference. You can only get 9 rounds in that MA compliant 10 round magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The original poster's decision seems to turn on capacity and its importance in a 9mm compact gun. The P239 has 8+1 capacity, while the M&P9C has 12+1 capacity. The Sig is single stack, while the M&P is double stack. He actually likes the Sig better for its other characteristics, as he mentions in his post.

I own both polymer compacts with high capacity (Glock 19 and USP40c) and metal frame single stacks like Sig P239 and Colt Defender. I have experimented with carrying them all and thought about the defensive scenarios that I might encounter.

I think the most likely situation in which I might have to draw and use my defensive gun is a robbery of some sort, in which one or possibly two criminals approach me in a threatening way, possibly with a weapon visible, and demand my wallet or property. They would be within a few feet of me, and wouldn't expect me to be armed. If I draw and present the gun, the odds are probably greater than 50% that they will run, not wanting to be shot. So capacity would never come into play in that outcome.

If I did have to shoot (the other 50%), the range is short and I am competent with the gun, so I will probably hit him or them multiple times. And I could be hit myself as well. But the fight will probably be over in a few seconds, before I could expend the 9 rounds in the Sig of this example. I think the odds of this going into rounds 10 through 13 (the M&P capacity) are one in a thousand. This is based upon many accounts I have read of similar armed encounters.

So in picking the 9 round versus the 13 round gun, I consider the shooting characteristics of the gun to be far more important than the ammo capacity. And a spare Sig P239 magazine is a lot smaller and easier to carry than the larger M&P magazine anyway.

+1. Go with the sig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Thanks all. Picked up a sig p229r. Wanted the added capacity over the 239 and while heavier love the control. Have when shooting.

IMG_0314.jpgIMG_0310.jpg

Two fine guns for sure. I just love the build of a SIG. I have 2, a 239 and a Scorpion 45 and one on the short list, a 229 Dark Elite. They really are reliable and solid. As with most things it will become personal preference. Hold them both, shoot them both. You will know. If not buy them both!!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    Thanks all. Picked up a sig p229r. Wanted the added capacity over the 239 and while heavier love the control. Have when shooting.
    Sweet, the p229 is a great gun. Did you grab a 9 or 40?

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    also dont forget resale value....SIG will have it,M&P wont

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    Perhaps if it is of a limited production run or a rare un-fired model... Nothing against SIGs as I own two... But perceived value is quite different from the blue book price.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    I find guns such as glock, M&P etc.. have way better resale value vs new value than Sig.

Sigs are very expensive new, but sell for a lot less new.

I can easily sell a used glock or M&P for only 50 dollars less than new. No way could I sell a sig for only 50 less than new price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links