Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact

Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact

This is a discussion on Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't decide. Like the all metal sig, less recoil due to weight, trigger. Like the M&P due to higher capacity. Help...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact

Sig 239 or M&P 9 compact

Can't decide. Like the all metal sig, less recoil due to weight, trigger. Like the M&P due to higher capacity.

Help

I just bought Sig 239 9MM one week ago. $50 round thur it no hick-ups at all. I paid 665.79 delivered to my FFL. I am not nlooking back. Very pleased

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Personally, I would go with the M&P if this pistol is going to be carried.
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Sig, you'll never regret it.

VIP Member
    I love Sigs, but in a case of CC with regards to capacity, weight, reliability. M&P all day long.
    oneshot and itschuck like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Whens the last time you told your pals,

" nahhh, we don't need anymore beer/liquor/wine/girls/guns/money"???

M&P, if this is going to be your primary/main go-to pistol to carry.
    Then if you want even more rounds you can buy the FS Mags with extension sleeves, which will give you additional capacity for open carry/home defense duty.

Not knocking Sig, just sayin'
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Keep in mind that they are two different trigger systems. Try and shoot them if you havent. Youll also have to deal with that horrendous Mass trigger if you are in Boston. Not a deal breaker since you can have a trigger job. FS mags are a big no no too.

Good point . I am in ma and the da/sa sig is a better trigger out of the box and only 2 round capacity difference. Think I am going with the sig.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Whens the last time you told your pals,

" nahhh, we don't need anymore beer/liquor/wine/girls/guns/money"???

M&P, if this is going to be your primary/main go-to pistol to carry.
    Then if you want even more rounds you can buy the FS Mags with extension sleeves, which will give you additional capacity for open carry/home defense duty.

Not knocking Sig, just sayin'
    What he said I just got an m&p 9mm compact and really like it. Higher capacity lighter and mine was $489 plus tax out the door

M&P 9C! I carry mine for concealed carry all day everyday and practice with it at least once a week, never a problem and a great reliable gun. Love the capacity and the recoil is not bad at all. The sig is a great gun don't get me wrong but I agree with almost everyone else responding here for concealed carry go with the M&P!

BTW two rounds in a gun fight can mean all the difference. Have a good one!

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    Good point . I am in ma and the da/sa sig is a better trigger out of the box and only 2 round capacity difference. Think I am going with the sig.
    Definitely get what you want.

I like the DA/SA triggers. My 229 has an outstanding SA trigger pull on it.

Both are great weapons. I would go with the M&P for a CC weapon, (weight, capacity) but you cant go wrong with the Sig either.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

no man's land between Montana and Alberta
    There used to be a time when I would have said not to touch a S&W pistol with someone else's 10 foot pole. However, the M&P has changed my mind, and it's usually one of my top recommendations. Eventually, you have to decide what is the right gun for you, regardless of public opinion.

How important is capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    Can't decide. Like the all metal sig, less recoil due to weight, trigger. Like the M&P due to higher capacity.
    The original poster's decision seems to turn on capacity and its importance in a 9mm compact gun. The P239 has 8+1 capacity, while the M&P9C has 12+1 capacity. The Sig is single stack, while the M&P is double stack. He actually likes the Sig better for its other characteristics, as he mentions in his post.

I own both polymer compacts with high capacity (Glock 19 and USP40c) and metal frame single stacks like Sig P239 and Colt Defender. I have experimented with carrying them all and thought about the defensive scenarios that I might encounter.

I think the most likely situation in which I might have to draw and use my defensive gun is a robbery of some sort, in which one or possibly two criminals approach me in a threatening way, possibly with a weapon visible, and demand my wallet or property. They would be within a few feet of me, and wouldn't expect me to be armed. If I draw and present the gun, the odds are probably greater than 50% that they will run, not wanting to be shot. So capacity would never come into play in that outcome.

If I did have to shoot (the other 50%), the range is short and I am competent with the gun, so I will probably hit him or them multiple times. And I could be hit myself as well. But the fight will probably be over in a few seconds, before I could expend the 9 rounds in the Sig of this example. I think the odds of this going into rounds 10 through 13 (the M&P capacity) are one in a thousand. This is based upon many accounts I have read of similar armed encounters.

So in picking the 9 round versus the 13 round gun, I consider the shooting characteristics of the gun to be far more important than the ammo capacity. And a spare Sig P239 magazine is a lot smaller and easier to carry than the larger M&P magazine anyway.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links