Added a "new" Sig to my collection

This is a discussion on Added a "new" Sig to my collection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately I have been thinking that I should get a good, quality made higher capacity 9mm to add to my collection. My S&W Sigma has ...

Thread: Added a "new" Sig to my collection

Added a "new" Sig to my collection

Lately I have been thinking that I should get a good, quality made higher capacity 9mm to add to my collection. My S&W Sigma has been in this role for years now. I did send it back and Smith made the trigger better, but it still isn't ideal, its okay to shoot, but not spectacular. Still, that pistol gets shot a fair amount.

So the other day I was looking at my favorite gun store's flier online, and saw that they had a batch of police trade in Sig 226's in 9mm going for $450. I've bought other police trade ins through them, and all have been great for me. Some finish wear on the outside usually, but solid shooters without any mechanical problems. So I made a call so they would hold one for me, and drove up to get it a few days back.

And I was very pleasantly surprised with this batch. The one I selected has very little finish wear, but there is some around the front of the slide and muzzle. And one chip in the finish on the rear of the frame under the hammer, and two on the frontstrap where you can see metal. So, a little used, but definitely something I can live with for the price. It is marked "Made in W. Germany" and has the German Nitro proof marks. It also has the pinned breech block of older Sigs, and Trijicon night sights with plenty of life left in them. It also came with two 15 round magazines.

Over the weekend I had the chance to take it to the gun club, and run about 100 rounds through it. As I would expect it had 0 malfunctions, and performed flawlessly. Once I got the trigger down for the first shot, it started shooting very respectable groups at 7 yards. I am actually considering running this pistol in some IDPA this year, and possibly using it for my carry gun when I get more rounds through it. I like shooting it that much.

Pics will get put up later tonight. But, if you have a local store that gets police trade ins, they are usually worth a look, as long as you can deal with the fact that it isn't brand new.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    Congrats. I have 3 Sigs and don't regret any of my purchases.

The 226 is a great gun. I don't have one but do have the 229 and love it. It will make a great IDPA gun for you.

Great find on a great gun I love the fact that you can find some really great deals on these type of guns.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun. Hard to beat a Sig.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good gun brand and model

Like you, I have an older Sig P226 in 9mm that I bought used from a police officer. Mine was made about 1991 in Germany and was plated in electroless nickel from the factory. It was not carried or used much, so the condition is still good. I have used it as an occasional range gun and it works very well. It came with 15+1 magazines and is a little on the large size for carry use, in my opinion. But for quality construction and good shooting characteristics it is hard to do better.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Lead Moderator
    Congrats... My first SIG was a 226! Of course it has many friends now...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    My next purchase for the collection will be a Sig. don't know what model yet?

Congrats on your new Sig. You'll love it. Only problem is you'll end up buying more

can you still buy new W. German Sigs in the U.S?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

My Sig P228 was the best investment I made as I purchased from a Louisiana State Trooper. I have carried this pistol as my off duty carry if I am not carrying my Glock 27.

Congratulations on a great find !
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Those W. German LE trade in's sure are selling at great prices. Good job with that.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    congrats
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Links