My two new J-frames plus a Smith family photo

This is a discussion on My two new J-frames plus a Smith family photo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good looking family photo. That performance center j-frame is off the charts. I like the j-frame snubbies and I also like the k-frame snubs. Image.jpg ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My two new J-frames plus a Smith family photo

Cool

Good looking family photo.

That performance center j-frame is off the charts.

I like the j-frame snubbies and I also like the k-frame snubs.

Image.jpgphoto.jpgImage.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

The frist thing I did when I received my 36-2 was checked the actual DAO and low and behold the hammer does stay cocked back for single action. I might have it checked over by my local smith because when you pull the trigger in "SA" the hammer makes a "popping" sound and the firing pin will not strike the primer. Its the same sound heard when you have a SA/DA revolver cocked and want to de-cock the hammer with a round in the cylinder.
    Any thoughts on this?

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Nice Family!

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing, How do you like the DAO models?

I have always been a fan of the DAO j-frame but they do take time, practice, and patience to feel confident with them. I am not saying you dont need to practice with other pistols but the j-frame does need to be tamed! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BigJerm80 View Post
    The frist thing I did when I received my 36-2 was checked the actual DAO and low and behold the hammer does stay cocked back for single action. I might have it checked over by my local smith because when you pull the trigger in "SA" the hammer makes a "popping" sound and the firing pin will not strike the primer. Its the same sound heard when you have a SA/DA revolver cocked and want to de-cock the hammer with a round in the cylinder.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Hmmm... never heard of that one. The factory at one time offered a SINGLE-action-only conversion for the K-38, for bullseye shooting. The Centennial J frames are true DAO, but only because you cannot get to the hammer to cock it. The internal parts are the same.

What you describe can occur if the hammer block is not dropping out of the way fast enough. This is "controlled" by the movement of the rebound slide.

Then again, this may be something different that the factory has implemented. You never know with those guys; they are changing things all the time. But someone who is familiar with the S&W lock work should be able to tell what is going on; i.e., is there a different sear, etc.

Let us know what you find out; you've got my curiousity aroused.

LSP972,
    Since I have to pull the trigger slightly to get a decent hold on the hammer to pull it back, maybe I am not fully engaging it into SA? I have no clue on what would cause this. I would think that if something was wrong internally that it would happen every time I cock the hammer into SA.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Its always nice to have a family of Smiths around
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

LSP972,
    Since I have to pull the trigger slightly to get a decent hold on the hammer to pull it back...
    That's the way its done. If you're pulling it all the way back and its not engaging, then either the sear is chipped, the hammer block is interfering in some way, or they did indeed put a "DAO sear" in it.

I am thinking its probably a sear issue now. The hammer does engage but every so often the hammer will drop if there is slight pressure applied to it.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    This is just half of the family

Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Nice to see ! I am new to the '36' game, but coming to apreciate them fast. I have a neighbor who's husband was a sheriffs deputy and she brought over an older Airweight .38spl snub that she didn't want in the house any more for a couple of pretty valid reasons, so now I am the new owner of it.

It's not mint, definately a carry piece not a safe queen. I put a few rounds through it the other day, and quickly became a big fan. Now for a holster...

VIP Member
    Great finds!!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I am thinking its probably a sear issue now. The hammer does engage but every so often the hammer will drop if there is slight pressure applied to it.
    That's called "push-off". It is caused by one (or more) of several things... all of which cannot be corrected by someone who is not an experienced S&W mechanic. Is this a new gun and/or you are the original purchaser? If yes, avail yourself of the warranty. Call S&W and request a call tag; they will send you a UPS pick-up label via e-mail. This will only get worse, and if its the sear (as opposed to the trigger), will begin affecting your DA pull eventually.

Get it fixed now.

LSP972,
    Thank you very much for the info you have given me. I really appreciate you conversing with me these last few days on the forum.
    I will have to call S&W and see what they can do for me as I am not the original owner. I bought this in "98%" condition from an estate. Regardless the outcome, I am going to need to get it remedied. Just sucks I have to possibly put more money into it.
    Oh well. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links